2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (25 reviews )
6 months in, very happy
By mrljacobs on 01/20/12 21:22 PM (PST)

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my GS300 with 92,000 miles on it 6 months ago. So far I am very happy. Car is very nice, has great features, and has been problem free. When I purchased there was some rattling coming from near the right front tire. Took to mechanic, replaced front strut mounts, and rattle was taken care of. Cost me $350, but now I enjoy a smooth quiet ride. Average 22mpg, and get much better on long freeway drives. Will upgrade to LS430 in a few years.

Value Performance
By driver108 on 11/28/11 09:49 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

At the price point, it can't be beat. 65K miles, one owner, $9K. The straight six is super smooth and the automatic shifts predictably and powerfully. The interior is very cush and the entire car has a very solid feel. It has very strong passing power, but could be faster 0-20. Also, the auto gets momentarily befuddled when shifting into 1st when coasting at around 5mph when you then hit the gas. If you want a car that is all about performance, the GS300 is not for you. However, if you want a comfortable ride, nice appointments, a smooth and powerful engine that gets to 110mph pretty fast, its a good choice. Average 25 mpg on the freeway

A great car to own
By mylexgs300 on 07/18/11 12:48 PM (PDT)

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This my 3rd GS300, the previous being a '93 and an '00. When the opportunity came along to purchase this vehicle again, this time from my uncle, I couldn't resist. Besides, the normal routine maintenance, the car has required nothing bus gas. Its amazing to drive and feels like a pillow on the road. I can't see myself owning any other brand of car besides a Lexus.

My GS
By JimS on 12/27/09 20:29 PM (PST)

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been driving my 01 GS for 3 months now. The car drives so well and so comfortable that I have been driving really slow so I can enjoy spending more time driving.

2001 Lexus GS 300
By 2001 Lexus GS 300 on 03/26/08 12:28 PM (PDT)

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Have been driving this car for 4 years and there are no issues whatsoever just regular maint. Very quiet ride inside the car, they used top materials to build it. Very impressed and don't want to sell. Definitely would buy again.

Pleasant, reliable ride
By bflobk on 01/25/08 08:33 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

After owning several German cars (Audi, Mercedes, BMW) we purchased a used GS. The styling is very sporty. Powertrain is silky smooth, however the mileage as not that good for the 6 cylinder. Aside from oil changes and brakes, no service problems. That's a relief.

The quality Lexus experience
By HC Barnes on 06/15/07 10:39 AM (PDT)

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My second Lexus. I had the first, a 1991 SC 300, for ten years. I bought the GS 300 as a certified used car with one year and 25,000 miles. I now have 124,000 miles on it and it still looks and drives like a brand new car. Service has not been that expensive considering the car and treatment has been perfect. Highway mileage consistently in mid 20s, not bad. I replaced the terrible OEM tires with Yokohama Avids and have been happy with the handling ever since, although the car will never stir the emotions on a visceral level. Bottom line: an ultra- high quality luxury car with competent, but not exciting handling.

Luxury at a bargain price!
By DrMFT on 02/22/07 20:32 PM (PST)

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just purchased this 2001 GS 300 with 108k miles. Got it for a great price but am settling in for the higher maintenance costs. Just ordered a new key fob to the tune of $290. Ouch! Every 15k mile service is BIG bucks! Other than this, I am blessed to have such a great car!

Best Car
By TJS on 06/03/06 11:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the best car I've ever owned, not perfect but very good. Runs great - no problems, great road car. I have a problem with the straight six engine, I would like a V-6. Truthfully, I didn't know it was a straight six but its the Solara engine. It is fine but I prefer v-6s and V-8s as a personal thing.

IT'S A LEX
By KANE on 05/18/05 05:46 AM (PDT)

2001 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had this car for 2.5 weeks but I love it so much. Even though the style for this car has been redesigned because it was seven years old, it's still a headturner, it's a good feeling. This car is marketed as a luxury sport sedan but I think it's still more luxury than sport. I prefer luxury over sport anyway that's why I bought a Lexus, but the car might not be that appealing to people that want to feel the road. It feels like you're riding on a cloud when you drive this car, like you're separated from the rest of the world. The car is loaded with an abundance of features. It's a great car and I know it will last as long as I need it to.