2000 Lexus GS 300 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Lexus Gs-300 - Consumer Reviews

2000 GS 300 Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (26 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

BEST CAR I HAVE EVER OWNED!!
By clublexusgs300

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

i bought this car a year ago with 150k on it. i did a royal purple synthetic oil change along with royal purple trans fluid. This CAR IS AMAZING. The 3.0 v6 will get up pretty quick if you have it switched to the power mode. The car is extremely comfortable with plenty of space to put stuff. For as big and roomy as the car is you wouldn't know while driving, it feels like a fun little sports car, and the shift in the transmission is almost not even noticeable. i now have almost 200k and it looks and feels like it has under 100kI put someHID headlights& led tail lights and put some nice wheels and tires on it and it turns heads. This is the best car that i have ever owned.

Favorite Features

strong, reliable, powerful motor that gives you the feel of a strong sports car, while still providing absolute comfort and convenience of driving a luxury vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

gas mileage isn't as good as some of the vehicles in this same class. that's about the only bad thing i can think of on this car.

Bought 2000 GS in 2010!
By boinz

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have never bought a 10 year old car before. But it was roomy for my 6'3" frame and 275 lbs! I found a 1 owner Car Fax certified model with 94,000 miles. Beside routine maintenance, I had work down on memory front seat and upper and lower control arms in the front. I have not regretted buying it.

Favorite Features

General performance... good acceleration and cornering. And a little snob value as it is a Lexus! Very tight body integrity. Never heard a squeak! Very smooth drive train. I enjoy driving it every day!

Suggested Improvements

Maybe better FRWY mpg of 25! I have read some GS owners getting closer to 29/30 mpg.

lexus gs300
By ael77

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

i had a gs300 for a long time it has about 140,000 miles on it n it runs great built great good quality the interior is nice seats r comfortable n so is the ride performance is good i like sports cars but the peformance is good enough its an 11 year old car n i still drive it like a sports car so it can handle the abuse not that i do but sometimes i need to boogy the top speed i ever did on it is about 125mph n im not scared to boogy on it cuz i know it can handle it the snow option helps out alot in the snow with good tires for n rearwheel drive its pretty good doesnt need alot of maintenace n the sound system is pretty good on the platinum edition so its a good car still runs awesome

Favorite Features

durability comfortable seats stereo is good looks nice nice ride

Great Car, Love it!
By Great Car

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 85k last month, great for a 10 year old car. It is truly a wonderful car. I immediately changed oil, front rotors, front pads, rear pads and rear rotors(all were original). I have put about 3k miles in about month. This car rides like its brand new. This is definitely a keeper. If you can a find one with good miles, you cant go wrong. I checked all the review sights prior to buying. No one believes it's 10 years old when I tell them. It looks and rides great.

Favorite Features

Styling, gas mileage, smooth ride, quick acceleration.

Best car ever
By rpin

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I'm writing this to help all that are looking to purchase this car, I have a gs with 183.000 miles and still feels like a car with at least 70.000, this car has never giving me problems is extremely reliable and possibly the best car I have ever own, fun to drive, and with the aftermarket suspension that I put on it, it feels more sporty than ever.

Favorite Features

look, comfortable seats, engine

Suggested Improvements

radio

Love my Lexus!
By missy

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased my car used in June of 2009 with about 123k miles. The previous owner already changed the timing belt and water pump. The dealer gave me an old change and new front brakes. I had to replace the contacts on the starter (about $85 including labor), flushed the transmission, new spark plugs & replaced some engine seals. I didn't do all this work at once though. I expected to do a little maintenance since it was a used car.

Favorite Features

I love the drive of my car and at 133k miles, I can get another 200k miles as long as I maintain it. The engine has a good pick up to it-it just takes off.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce the cost of the navigation maps! No complaints here.

LOVE This Car!!!!
By Brian

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best automobile I've purchased. Extremely reliable and has 115k miles on it... only minor standard maintenance required. Engine performance is very good, firm acceleration, but a few more horses under the hood, I wouldn't turn down. The car is almost 10 years old and the only thing that has needed fixing (above regular minor maintenance) is the rear drivers-side electric door-lock motor. $375 to fix, but was getting very annoying because it was affecting the car alarm when using the keyless entry. Overall; I rate this car an easy 9 outta 10. LOVE IT !!!

Favorite Features

Love the transmission performance cradle switch (Standard ==> Sport).

Suggested Improvements

CD changer would be great if it was IN-DASH... instead of in the glove compartment. Layout of dash board buttons & controls could be improved a bit.

Great Car
By R. H. Jackson

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car new and have been very pleased. The Homelink malfunctioned during the warranty period and was replaced. The only other problem was the radio display which was replaced recently when the car was nine years old. The car runs and drives like new. It is by far the best car I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Inline six cylinder engine, leather interior.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power, better cupholders.

Still the best car
By JDM Superstar

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I wish I have all the money to own it since new, anyway, purchased at 66k miles for $12k, just put another 5000, so far, did tune-up, O2 sensor replaced. Looks new and still shiny paint.

Favorite Features

Seating and steering position, leather quality, trunk space, RWD, 2JZ-GE, 2-pistons in each brake caliper.

Suggested Improvements

Better standard audio system, 96w sounds cheap. Window motors rattle at up and down. Doors don't close 100% so wind noise. A bit lost when cornering at high speed.

Wishing I'd Never Purchased It
By Dissatisfied

2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car and, prior to close, had to force them to give me new tires as my "certified" vehicle tires were badly worn. Nicks, chips, in excess of what one would expect for a car with 22k miles. Within a few months, the radio numbers were barely visible. Minor repairs still covered by warranty were required. Now at $83K, I would have spent $5K fixing items but for the fact that I deferred a $1400 service that would be a "nice to have" and the dealer will pay for the labor on a power steering column I have to replace after doing a $2700 service two weeks ago. I should have kept ES300; 208K miles without the problems I'm having here at 82K. Terrible snow handling.

Favorite Features

The way it looks and the fact that, relative to other vehicles, it will hold resale. It was a luxury feel at a good price point.

Suggested Improvements

Rear wheel drive should be standard. This model year's panel is uninspired. I'm tall, so more headroom coverage and vehicle entry difficult.