Used 1999 Lexus GS 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Lexus Gs-300 - Consumer Reviews

1999 Lexus GS 300

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (38 reviews )

One of the Best
By automaniac9

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

After driving this car for a week straight, I have to say that I believe it is one of best cars on the used car market. Its got great style, not too bold, but not too understated either. The engine is a work of art; only making 225 hp, and yet it feels like so much more. The transmission shifts perfectly and is barely noticable. The handling is not the best I've driven, but is still great. The steering is amazing in both feel and weight. However, none of this compares to the interior. It is simple yet very functional, and everything is in great reach from the drivers seat. The seats are a little firm, but offer great lateral support. Finally, this being a Lexus, it will last a long time.

Favorite Features

Great sound system and very legible gauges. That 3.0 straight 6 is one of the best motors out there; it can be quiet when not hammering it, but give it gas and it will sing to the 6000+ rpm redline. Some of the best brakes on a car, considering its now 15 years old; great feel and stopping power.

Suggested Improvements

Not many complaints against this car. One is the inablilty to turn the traction control off. You can let it go into power mode for a little more slip, but it can never be turned completely off.

Personal genuine ratings of Lexus GS300
By Galant

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

In general terms I'm very happy with this car and it's a great long distance tourer. By far the greatest quality of this vehicle has to be the beautifully smooth, quick well made, and durable engine. In short I have driven many thousands of happy motoring miles in it and it has proved to be the most reliable car I've owned up to date.

Favorite Features

Engine, and interior lighting. Seat adjustments and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

A more frugal GS 300 model would have been very welcomed, one that can return 25 mpg + in all conditions. Better brakes would help a lot as car brakes can feel rather too spongy at times. A more detailed comprehensive owners manual, with better clarity of the cars features would be welcomed too.

Bad Choice
By Austin Hansen

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I was excited when first buying this car, but then it was all downhill from there. The interior lack any bit of luxury. The seats are hard and uncomfortable especially with lumbar on. My kids absolutely hate the back seat beacuse there is little to no room in the back even with the front seats forward. Another thing, one sunny afternoon, I couldn't get the car to start, and I had to try three times to get it started. I say sunny because most of the time, the car won't start when it is cold or wintery weather, but this weather was fine! I have no idea why. Also, many things inside the car are not as tight as they should be. When I bought the car, the front passenger seat pocket was stretched.

Favorite Features

I like the reliability, that is all.

Suggested Improvements

Basically everything! Probably will trade in for Audi or Mercedes also because when shutting front door, rear door rattles a lot.

Love this car!
By Pick

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

This is the second GS 300 I have had, and it only gets better. I love driving the car, it has lots of performance, a nice ride, and it looks great.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort Larger trunk

Suggested Improvements

I cannot think of any

Can't buy new? Certified is A-OK
By Bijou

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

It is a great car. The higher price is worth it in the long run because it saves in repairs. I've had no problems since I bought it in 2001.

Favorite Features

In one word "style". I also love the color. Cinnabar. It's alive.

Suggested Improvements

I think they've made them all in the last 8 years.