Used 1999 Lexus GS 300 Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Lexus GS 300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (41 reviews )

My second used Lexus - good as the first
By Yonze

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

Have owned a '92 ES 300 for about six years and I still have it. My 99 GS is just as impressive and it gets almost the same mileage on a long trip. There's a lot to be said for a used Lexus from the dealer. Same quality, same service, at a fraction of the price. Lousy in the snow, though.

Lexus quality and reliability - the dealer as well as the car.

Small trunk and small opening. OK for cases but not for bulky objects which I occasionally carry. Use the ES for this.

Love It!
By SandyD

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I drove this car new off the showroom floor in 1998 and have loved every minute spent driving it! It's NEVER has a mechanical problem and it's driven every day. It's comfortable, fun to drive, and extremely reliable. The quality of the fit and finish is hard to beat and I can't think of any car on the road today that can beat it for the price. It was a lot of money for us to spend back then but worth every penny! If Lexus made a non-SUV that could hold 6 people, I'd buy that too.

Fun to drive, looks amazing even today compared to other cars, and the interior is so quiet.

Nothing!

Great Car
By Great Car

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 47k miles. I just recently had are crashed in an accident with 165k miles. Total loss. This is a great car. Rides smooth and handle well for a large car. I would highly recommend this car. Never had any major problems and I only change the oil. Never even changed timing belt (not recommended).

Smooth ride.

Gas mileage could be a little better. I never thought about it until gas went up.

Great Car - Highly Recommended
By ATL King

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for about 6 years. It had 47k mile when I bought it. I drive this car very hard and I have 164k mile on it. I know this is crazy but I have never replaced the timing belt (not recommended). I have had to replace the O2 sensors but that is about it for repairs. It has a good ride, smooth transmission, and good pick up (especially in PWR mode). This is the best car I have owned.

PWR Mode - Smooth Transmission - Reliability

All four O2 sensors went bad in the same year but this does not cause the car to stop running. More horse power in the GS 300.

A love hate relationship
By billbroom

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

Bought it new and have had a love hate relationship since. Overall quality is very good, but performance stinks. Sporadic shifting pattern, especially after slowing and making 90 degree turn, then accelerating again will drive you nuts. Also, shifting pattern in stop and go urban traffic will drive you even nuttier. computer and ESC don't have a clue how to respond. Recall/upgrade of ESC was done in 1999, but really didn't fix the problem. Dealer acknowledges this as an engineering problem typical to the car - big, unforgivable mistake for a car in this price range

Overall quality of fit and finish

Make it responsive to the driver's needs, make it handle like a sports sedan should handle, and generally make it fun to drive.