1999 Lexus GS 300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (37 reviews )
A love hate relationship
By billbroom on 03/21/08 19:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

Bought it new and have had a love hate relationship since. Overall quality is very good, but performance stinks. Sporadic shifting pattern, especially after slowing and making 90 degree turn, then accelerating again will drive you nuts. Also, shifting pattern in stop and go urban traffic will drive you even nuttier. computer and ESC don't have a clue how to respond. Recall/upgrade of ESC was done in 1999, but really didn't fix the problem. Dealer acknowledges this as an engineering problem typical to the car - big, unforgivable mistake for a car in this price range

My GS
By vusford1 on 09/29/07 14:07 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

My Lexus GS 300 is by far the must durable automobile I have ever owned. While this has come to be expected from Lexus, I am still impressed with its reliability. However, the rest of the car is not perfect, as acceleration is just as mediocre as when I bought it in 99, and the interior is not particularly roomy. The car does handle decently well, however, but don't expect a canyon-carver, like a 5-series.

Can't buy new? Certified is A-OK
By Bijou on 07/21/07 20:54 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

It is a great car. The higher price is worth it in the long run because it saves in repairs. I've had no problems since I bought it in 2001.

Hard Act To Follow
By JohnK on 07/12/07 05:02 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

Bad news for anyone looking to buy a 1999 GS 300, you can NOT have mine! I have spent over two years looking at possible replacements but know I won't be happy with anything else. Also, once you have been to a Lexus dealer for service, all of the others are second class. We bought the car pre-owned, commuted in it 60 miles/day (Washington DC) for 4 years and at 115K miles it still seems new inside and out. Interior materials are first rate especially the wood.

How can you not love it????
By Wonderful GS on 10/28/05 13:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I bought a 1999 GS 300 last year. Absolutely love it. No quality problems, great looks, superior reliability. Everyone who sees it says it looks like a 2005.

Bad Choice
By Austin Hansen on 06/08/05 03:51 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I was excited when first buying this car, but then it was all downhill from there. The interior lack any bit of luxury. The seats are hard and uncomfortable especially with lumbar on. My kids absolutely hate the back seat beacuse there is little to no room in the back even with the front seats forward. Another thing, one sunny afternoon, I couldn't get the car to start, and I had to try three times to get it started. I say sunny because most of the time, the car won't start when it is cold or wintery weather, but this weather was fine! I have no idea why. Also, many things inside the car are not as tight as they should be. When I bought the car, the front passenger seat pocket was stretched.

BEST of the BEST
By Jarrett on 11/13/04 14:36 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

My wife was bugging me to find her a Lexus! She was wanting a the RX300/330 and I was wanting a GS300. Well, I won that battle and purchased a 1999 GS300, Cinnabon Pearl (RED) with 24k miles. Nearly 5 years old with that low of miles. I can't tell you enough of how much we like this car. It is smooth, quiet, peppy and a load of fun to drive. She is really happy with the car and glad we (I) chose this model over the RX300/330. Lexus has scored an A+ with this car. I plan on keeping and driving it many more years! I have a 1998 Ford Explorer and when time comes for it to be put to sleep, I plan on looking to get my own GS300, or may a GS400. My wife can't appreciate the V8's power!

Top Quality
By AcworthGS on 11/06/04 22:14 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car used with 25K miles. It now has 65K miles and still feels as strong as when I got it. I had an issue with my speaker after 50K miles. Lexus fixed it for free. Other than that, nothing. Nothing! I only wish I bought the 400 model.

Driving The best Lexus has to offer
By Metro30west on 09/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

Lexus in my opinion has outdone Mercedes and BMW when it comes to quality, luxury, and overall satisfaction. Hence, JD Powers and Assoc. has presented Lexus with so many awards for the RX, GS, LS, and ES. I highly recommend a Lexus, penny for penny, there is no better vehicle to drive.

Finally, i own a LexBubba
By scooblover on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

Well first of all, we call that model Lexus the bubble Lex, that why i call it the Lexbubba. Anyway i really do love my Lex, it is the best car i ever owned, but it does make a little noise in the back when i pull off....other than that it is very powerful....it's Lexus from this point on for me.