Used 1999 Lexus GS 300 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Lexus Gs-300 - Consumer Reviews

1999 Lexus GS 300 Sedan

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (38 reviews )

One of the Best
By automaniac9

1999 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

After driving this car for a week straight, I have to say that I believe it is one of best cars on the used car market. Its got great style, not too bold, but not too understated either. The engine is a work of art; only making 225 hp, and yet it feels like so much more. The transmission shifts perfectly and is barely noticable. The handling is not the best I've driven, but is still great. The steering is amazing in both feel and weight. However, none of this compares to the interior. It is simple yet very functional, and everything is in great reach from the drivers seat. The seats are a little firm, but offer great lateral support. Finally, this being a Lexus, it will last a long time.

Favorite Features

Great sound system and very legible gauges. That 3.0 straight 6 is one of the best motors out there; it can be quiet when not hammering it, but give it gas and it will sing to the 6000+ rpm redline. Some of the best brakes on a car, considering its now 15 years old; great feel and stopping power.

Suggested Improvements

Not many complaints against this car. One is the inablilty to turn the traction control off. You can let it go into power mode for a little more slip, but it can never be turned completely off.

Best car I've ever owned
By lukas25

1999 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car with 178k, now at 200k and still looks and drives like a new car, people constantly think it's 2006 or so, paint and leather quality has really impressed me, nothing has signs of wear and very little thing works, I've seen people who own these with well over 300k so I am not worried, I am sold on Lexus due to the reliability of this car

Favorite Features

Design, reliability, comfort

Excellent Used Car
By k_cubed

1999 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought it at 94,000 in 2009 and I've driven it for a year now for both local driving and couple of road trips. It is an excellent car for all purpose and is incredibly comfortable. Brakes are something to get used to and the gas mileage isn't great. I've taken it to Lexus dealer for maintenance every 5,000 miles (which is quite costly) and I haven't had to do anything else. I'm definitely hooked on Lexus now.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride. Great sound system. Overall, very well built.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is an issue. But given its comfort and acceleration, I'm willing to live with 17-22 MPG.

Life time Lexus
By Orlando

1999 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I also purchased a 1999 GS300 at an Orlando car auction in 1999. the car had 1600 miles and was 3 months old. Eleven years later it has 68,760 on odometer and I still love how it handles. However the earlier post was correct (The car lurches when you first press on the gas. It is hard to start off smoothly) Have learned to press pedal easy when starting off.

Favorite Features

Style, sporty front end and luxurious rear end. Love straight six engine, smooth and quiet with just a hum when accelerating. Beautiful paint job.

Suggested Improvements

More headroom and backseat space thou it's rarely used. Wish someone could simply solve (lurching) from stop to start.

Best car I have ever owned
By SF_ftbl

1999 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought it with 2K miles. The feature that hooked me and I still use to this day is the button to roll down all the windows and open the sun roof from outside the car (comes in handy on those very HOT days). The car now has over 120K miles and all I have had to replace was a timing belt (100K) and a starter. A few years back I started looking for a replacement but could not find anything I liked so my wife let me "PIMP" the ride. I added a really cool kit to it and had the outside repainted the same Zinnabar Pearl. Added Halo headlights and a chrome grill. No one can believe it is a 99'. It is a head turner, but I know I will have to sell it one day.

Favorite Features

Rolling down the windows from outside. Head turning good looks (red color). Reliability going on 10 years only two problems.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel efficiency. Don't like the newer design, seems smaller so I didn't buy it and kept this one.