Used 1998 Lexus GS 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Lexus Gs-300 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Lexus GS 300

Base 3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Automatic - (23 reviews )

14 yrs later.... this car still rocks!
By zoilus

1998 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I picked up this car 8/2011 with 103K miles. I got for $9k out the door! clean 1 owner carfax with great service record! It was a steal!! It's in virtual mint condition. It has 130k miles now and no issues what so ever on many long trips, day to day city driving. Its comfortable, built like a tank, but ride is so quiet & smooth! It's not for racing! Not even the V8 is for that, but this car's power is enough to do what you needed to. It has classic & timeless good looks and I get compliments on it all the time. This car is durable reliable car that I can recommend to anyone. This model stopped in 2005 as in 06 a new style came out, but I like this one better!

Suggested Improvements

I love everything about this car but it can use some touch ups! just to fresh it up a bit: I added an OEM spoiler but the 3rd brake light is LED, In addition to the wood it came with, I added a "camry burl" wood kit off of ebay..100% better as now there is an ample amount of wood all around the cabin Privat Netz machine face 17" rims with 235/45/17 tires Sonar brand LED tail lamps and trunk lamps. Pioneer 3300BT touch screen "smart radio" LED lights in interior and trunk Hid in headlights and fogs Removed the black paint on grill to reveal the chrome underneath Stainless steel polish chrome tips 3.5" Chrome trunk trim (above license plate) It looks fresher better now!

Great Car
By Adrian

1998 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car since it was new. It has been fun and very reliable. It is quick and stable. The brakes are excellent.

Favorite Features

Xenon headlights.

Suggested Improvements

I have a small rattle in the skylight inside shade which I can't seem to resolve except by leaving the shade slightly open.

i love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By i love it !!!!!!!!!!

1998 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

When I bought this car it had 80000 miles I didn't do anything to the car until it reached 100000 miles nothing major and had to change the starter at about 105000 miles now at 110000 miles no problems so far an I hope it stays that way. Overall the car is great compare to what’s out there don't think twice and buy it...........

Favorite Features

Acceleration, comfortable seats, exterior design

Suggested Improvements

Add heated seats, navigation

Love this car!
By mish0039

1998 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

This is my second GS 300 (first was a 95). I love this car. I have also had a 97 BMW 528i, although they may be a little bit more fun to drive, but who can afford to keep fixing them? The Lexus still looks new and feels like it is built like a tank. I get a lot of compliments.

Favorite Features

Styling, Nakamichi sound system, Lexus status.

Suggested Improvements

A little bit more power wouldn't hurt.

Best lexus sedan for the money
By Wayne859

1998 Lexus GS 300 4dr Sedan

I have owned 3 GSs over the last 6 years and the 98 is the one I currently drive. This car is smooth, well built and a pleasure to drive. Buying it used is easy, because it's a Lexus. No unscheduled repairs (I've put 55k mls on this one and 65k mls on another)! Almost same interior as the LS with better mileage. Better quality feel than the ES. It is expensive to service, but far less than a BMW or Mercedes would be, and if you find a good independent repair shop you're a lot better off. I highly recommend this car.

Favorite Features

Really great ride and luxury feel. The Nakamichi sound system is wonderful.

Suggested Improvements

If you have one with low profile tires try replacing with the Bridgestone Potenza RE950. It's smooth and will last 2.5 times the stock tires.