After 5 BMW5 series-Why I changed
By gp5tee on
2013 Lexus ES 350 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)
After owning five BMW 5 Series over a period of 25 years I finally made the move. I test drove the new 2013 BMW528X and it was wonderful. Quite an upgrade from my 2009 528e I was offering in trade. Then I visited a Lexus dealer and test drove an 2013 ES350. It was love at first drive. The steering wheel was beautiful. The overall feel matched the BMW. Performance felt easily as good also. The appearance is truly special. The BMW was the same old, same old ,although a little improvement . I guess I just needed a change. The fit and finish inside and out is perfect. The clincher was that it was $14,000 less, net of trade. I have always found my BMWs depreciated too much over 5 years.
Favorite Features
Styling,V6 engine, Navigation System, Rear Camera, Instrument Panel, rear window electric up and down,voice commands on Nav to lower or raise temperature,Blind spot warnings on side mirrors,seat position memory controls, Lexus Enform Apps , great riding quality, love the Metallic Cashmere color, looks sporty with the rear spoiler and side body protection strips, the big L badge front and back, rear deck is sexy looking , twin exhaust. seats are roomy and comfortable. Handling is great ( as good as my BMWs). I am going to miss my BMW,but not too much. Once again,love that steering wheel. The Dealership seemed more attentive and straight forward in making the deal.No tricks
Suggested Improvements
Only one...The Nav system voice commands do not override the music ,or radio. I have a $20,000 Mazda that overrides the other media when speaking voice commands.It is annoying when you have to turn the volume down on the radio to hear directions.
By dpereira
on 12/31/13 07:01 AM (PST)

I just traded in a 2010 BMW 535xi last night for a fully loaded ES350. As far as creature comforts it has a few more options than the 2013 535xi I was looking at and it came in about $14,000 lower. With respect to performance and handling, this car should not even be compared to a 5 series. Anyone who thinks it handles as good as a 5 series probably never really "drove" a 5 series or is trying to convince themselves that this is a sporty car. It is not. However as I mentioned above it has all of the creature comforts at a substantially lower price. This car will be predominantly driven by my wife in stop and go traffic. She choose relative frugality over performance. It hasn't even been 24 hours and I already miss the 535.

By gp5tee
on 01/10/14 19:21 PM (PST)

I have driven 5 BMW 528s over the last 25 years.I drove them responsibly and they were all great cars. Please consider you are talking about a 535xi vs an ES 350. Not a 528. To be fair you would have to move up to the more sporty Lexus G series. At about $16,000 difference in price and about 50 more HP it should handle better. . If I wanted to drive a "sporty" car and was willing to cough up another $16M I probably would have bought a 535. I am now an old "f-rt" and admit it . Love my new Lexus es350