2008 Lexus ES 350 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.5L V6 6-speed Automatic - (58 reviews )
It's OK
By It's OK on 04/15/09 06:38 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus ES 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Well it should be better than it is. The engine sounds like a Diesel for the first 10 min. The steering is too light, it has a nervous feel when cornering. The transmission has not been fixed since the 2007 recall. It down shifts very abruptly and shakes the whole car. It drives smooth and gets good gas mileage. The center console is an engineer's joke. It always opens (what where they thinking with that button). Hopefully not the same guy that developed the engine with the Diesel noise. I can't say I will buy another one. This was my first Lexus. Oh, and the paint scratches with just a wash. At this price point you have to pay for XM satilite. The Chevy Cobolt comes with it for $11,000. PLEASE!

One year on and no regrets!
By clearasmud on 02/25/09 09:36 AM (PST)

2008 Lexus ES 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

This is a well-rounded mid size luxury car. The ride is impeccably smooth and quiet, the controls (with the exception of the seat heaters) are well placed, and the fit and finish are superb. My only complaint with this car is the 6 speed transmission. It tends to hesitate slightly when cornering. I'm not a "spirited driver", so this does not bother me tremendously. The gas mileage is better than expected. I average around 24 mpg (mostly city driving). On the highway, I get 30 - 35 mpg. This car is intended for drivers who value comfort and serenity over handling. Don't get me wrong, the car does handle well but there are sportier sedans on the market (but none ride as well).

Think about it before you buy this car
By mike on 02/24/09 05:58 AM (PST)

2008 Lexus ES 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

If you are a driver, this is not your car. Transmission control is poorly designed, hurts economy and has safety issues as it coasts. Too quick to downshift on slight inclines. Driver has no control! Handling feel is not too bad. Pushed hard, exhibits roll. Front drive in any car has handling problems. This car is powerful and has torque steer that can take the car in dangerous directions if pushed hard from a dead stop. Be prepared if hard acceleration is planned or required. Inside lighting is extremely poor. Design goof again. Paint may be thin and prone to scratches. Do not have the dealer service. Charges are 4x what you can by at a service shop.

Like flying a magic carpet
By magic carpet on 02/13/09 15:09 PM (PST)

2008 Lexus ES 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Have had many vehicles over the years. Never knew that driving could be this enjoyable. Mine is Ultra Premium with 4500 miles. Levinson sound is great. Call it my magic carpet. Black with tan interior sends a chill up my back every time I enter it. Doors close like luxury coach. Could use more aggressive exterior styling. Wish it was AWD but without the floor lump as on GS model. Hope the suspension feels this good in years to come. Slight delay in acceleration when punching gas pedal takes getting used to. But at 55 I'm in it for comfort not racing.

Mistake
By brb on 02/09/09 14:14 PM (PST)

2008 Lexus ES 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased my first new Lexus ES350 looking for a quieter more comfortable ride. I was shocked that the injectors were so loud we thought we had a diesel engine. It is worse when it is cold. I guess that is why they had it in the showroom when we tried it out. I returned to dealer and they said "Thats the way it is". Anti-locking brakes shook the car (ABS). I had to have the rotors turned on this new car. Wind noise in the front windows, tires out of balance and they roared. Wind noise repaired (I think). Cup holders too small. Not enough interior storage. (They did give me a Lexus ball cap.) Would I own another Lexus? Never!

Quiet and comfortable
By Craig on 12/20/08 04:01 AM (PST)

2008 Lexus ES 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Quietest and most comfortable car I have ever owned. Previously drove an Acura TL. Gas mileage is excellent - average 27 city, 34 highway. Would definitely buy again.

900 miles so far and no regrets
By Don on 12/06/08 14:16 PM (PST)

2008 Lexus ES 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I never thought I'd want a Lexus; then I drove an ES350 and it made me forget the competition. The ride is incredibly smooth but still very solid, not floaty. The car is very quiet. I like the standard radio; sound quality is fine for me. Definitely drive a few and drive for a while; I think the seats are very different without the Premium Plus package; w/o the PP package the lumbar support was just painful; PP seats with base extender feel very different; very comfortable for me. Gas mileage is impressive for a V6. Controls seem well placed. I like the power outlet in the glovebox; you plug your phone in to recharge it and use the bluetooth to make calls.

Just over 5,000 miles on it.
By carl on 11/22/08 09:07 AM (PST)

2008 Lexus ES 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We purchased our ES 350 new. So far we are VERY pleased. We have nearly 6,000 miles on it and our over-all fuel economy is right at 30 mpg! Highway we will get 34! Very pleased with that. The car is fun to drive and very spirited in acceleration. We opted for the upgraded wheels, pin striping and window tinting. That gives the car a really nice look. Also the all weather floor mats are good looking addition. Gives it a more sporty look.

As compared to the Acura TL
By btiger14 on 09/19/08 08:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Lexus ES 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

We just leased an ES 350 coming out of a Acura TL. We have found the electronics, including radio and bluetooth to be inferior to the TL. Disappointing. Also some of the features like keyfob by driver (1 or 2) is not available on ES 350 as it is on TL. Very disappointing that satellite radio was not included nor did the dealers stock cars with the option. Had to have dealer add satellite radio at an exorbitant price. Acura TL has this standard. A car in this price range should have an excellent radio; excellent bluetooth; and include satellite radio. Could be the first and last Lexus.

Fun to drive
By AT on 09/16/08 16:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Lexus ES 350 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

Very nice car. I will buy another one. The ride is extremely smooth and the gas mileage was surprisingly better than advertised for highway driving. It took me a while to get used to the push button start, I have caught myself a few times just leaving the engine running while trying to exit the vehicle, the engine is that quiet. The memory seat and steering wheel settings don't set, every time I get in the car after my wife drives I have to move the seat back before I get in. Roofline should be higher, I often have to adjust my seat to avoid touching the interior ceiling.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.