Used 2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.3L V6 5-speed Automatic - (153 reviews )

TCM, ECM Problems
By Henry Casimer

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My wife is principal driver but in January 2006 I drove the ES330 4,000 miles from northern IN to Key West and return. The engine and transmission fails to respond to throttle commands and the vehcle does not downshift to third gear when needed. With the pedal to the metal at 60 mph it takes forever to get back up to 70/75 mph. Same problem on entrance ramps. Trying to merge in 4th or 5th gear at 2,000 rpm will not get you out of the way of 18 wheelers. Car is at the dealer now. Have reported this to NHTSA as a safety issue. 25 mph not too impressive. GM can do 30 mpg with 3.8 L.

Quietest vehicle I have ever driven

Change HVAC and audio displays from LCD to LED. Iluminate tach needle during cranking to be able to see that engine has started.

My first non GM vehicle
By charlie

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the ES330 for the ride comfort, and it does the job. The fuel economy is not as expected (sticker ratings). The engine/transmission function is not smooth, but lots of jerk when shifting. Too soon (13K miles) to speak to quality, trusting the market over the years to be right. If the comfort was NOT my main need, I would not buy another. Just not a performing vehicle as I am used to.

Ride comfort.

FIX the engine/transmission problem. Improve the fuel economy, no reason a car this small, with a 6 cylinder cannot get more than 21 mpg. Widen the seats, there is room in the existing cabin for another 2 inches of seat width, use it for comfort, not air space.

It's a lemon.
By KFW

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I don't understand the positive reviews of this car. The transmission alone warrants a low rating. For those complaining about the transmission, wait until you reach 15,000-20,000 miles and your car needs new brakes ($305 at the dealer, $150 at your family mechanic) AND new tires. This car is a LEMON. Lexus customer "satisfaction" is unwilling to take responsibility for it, while the service manager admitted he is seeing these cars come in early for brakes and tires. Buyers of the new GS are being warned about the early deterioration of the brakes, and ES owners are being ignored. In the past Lexus has offered repairs and rebates for recurring concerns. We bought these cars in good faith and because we trusted the Lexus name. I would like to see Lexus restore our faith.

It's a beautiful color.

Improve brakes, tires, and transmission.

Hesitation
By Nancy

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Lexus this summer and have not been happy with it. The hesitation and jerking when starting to accelerate is not right. The dealer says this is normal for a V6 engine. If that's the case I'm selling! The drink holder between the front seats is in a bad location. If you try to use it and change gears you will spill the drink. I have been very disappointed with Lexus.

none

fix hesitation and lurching

Nice car
By Joe

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is quite a nice car! It has a comfy interior with a nice GPS, and is quiet like Lexus is supposed to be. I don't really enjoy the jerks this car gives me, but other than that, it's great.

The price! Before I checked, I thought it was about 40 or 50 grand, but it was only 30! I also like the headlights. I think the interior is very Lexus (quiet). It's a great car.

No more jerks and making the styling a little bit less interesting