2005 Lexus ES 330 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.3L V6 5-speed Automatic - (151 reviews )
Finally, the car I've been looking for
By Brad Gould on 05/29/05 18:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first car that after owning for a while I haven't found anything that I dislike. This oddly enough is also the first car I've bought without driving first.

bad transmission
By X-Redhead on 05/27/05 17:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Poorly shifting transission. It can not find next gear easily. Almost like the transmission is slipping and then takes hold and my head snaps back. Service manager says "you will get used to it". Huh?? For $37,000!! Tires, according to info that came with the car "may not last 20,000 miles". Bridgestone Turanza. Instruments hard to read in the daytime. Next time I will buy the Acura. Can't wait for the 2006 model Acura. This is the third Lexus I have owned and the first time I have been disappointed with my purchase. Also own a 2003 Mercury GM LS and at this point like it better.

Top Luxury/Moderate Performance
By LBPop on 05/27/05 12:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

If I was 10 years younger, this car would not have been my first choice. However ,in my mid 50s it's perfect. Luxurious, quiet, classic and, with the ride stabilization, it handles relatively well. The shift lag seems to improve over time. It can be reduced by decisive decisions to accelerate. If you hesitate, it does too.

Another Home Run
By Mike1948 on 05/27/05 12:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my fifth Lexus, and as with my two prior ESs and two GSs, the results are the same, fantastic. I have found the car to ride beautifully, and the reliability to be what I expect out of Lexus. While the body style is not the most agressive, it still carries an air of luxury. I would once again recommend Lexus to any of my friends looking for a new car.

luv it
By luv it on 05/26/05 13:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I get a lot of attention when I drive this car. It feels solid, sticks to the road and doesn't bounce around. I understand the gas mileage will increase with more miles on the car than what I have.

Black ES 330
By KR on 05/25/05 00:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Lexus, and I also have a new 05 Highlander Limited. I have owned many Toyotas and I keep coming back to their products because of the exceptional build quality and bullet proof reliability (a luxury in itself). This Lexus looks great in black and the black interior is easy to maintain. The ES has a smooth ride and predictable, if uninspiring, handling.

Wish we had two 330s
By Jerry on 05/22/05 12:48 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We had planned to buy the Avalon, and had been researching it long before it ever reached the dealership. The same day we drove the Avalon we also drove the ES 330, and our minds were made up. The Avalon is an excellent car with a better engine, but when fit, finish, materials quality, etc. are taken into account, the decision for us was easy -- the Lexus won, hands down. In addition to the car itself, you inherit a vastly different sales and service experience. We were worried about the reported transmission issues, but we learned from the Edmunds discussion boards that using a variable driving style during the learning phase was the key to good performance. It worked for us.

New Car Review
By Ken Cluley on 05/18/05 16:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We have approximately 4K miles on this vehicle and we are very pleased with it. It is the quietest car we have ever owned and the gas mileage is close to advertised. Beautiful interior and extremely comfortable leather seating. Suspension is unmatched and the car handles like a dream.

Likeable but not Loveable
By MJL on 05/13/05 14:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my ES 330 for a bit over 2 months. Traded in a 2002 Acura TL. While the Lexus has a more upscale interior (i.e. wood trim steering wheel) the handling is not nearly as nimble as the TL, nor is it as quick as the TL (notwithstanding that both cars have the same HP rating). I also find that the double-wishbone suspension of the TL makes for a slightly more comfortable highway ride that the rack & pinion ES. All in all a nice car, comfortable and competitively priced with the likes of Acura TL, Infiniti G35 and Cadillac CTS. That said, I find it a likeable car, but not a car that can be characterized as a "driver's car". Only averaging 23 mpg combined city/hwy using req'd premium.

Quiet as a Lexus
By GLB on 05/10/05 10:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first experience with a foreign automobile and I am thrilled that I finally made the change. This car is a great value for the money. The only "quirk" that bothers me is the strange shift pattern when slowing down to take a corner - seems like the transmission lags behind and doesn't shift soon enough.