2005 Lexus ES 330 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.3L V6 5-speed Automatic - (150 reviews )
Fun to Drive!
By Dave on 06/30/05 15:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is the most fun to drive of any vehicle I have owned - and I have owned a lot of them at age 71. I find it responsive and a joy. I drive mostly highway miles and really like the gas milage - beats my 2002 Honda Accord by 15%.

Great Car
By Doris on 06/22/05 01:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I read all reviews about this car prior to purchasing it. All of them are true. Despite its Camry look, the interior is superior and luxurious. It rides better than BMW 325. Most cars come with package 1 or 2. Go with package 2 (everything but the navigational system).I got mine at slightly below $31K (package 2). It worths every penny.

A Great Car
By Brian M on 06/15/05 16:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely a pleasure to own and drive. Quiet and comfortable. Smooth ride. More than adequate acceleration and power for Chicago tollway driving. Excellent build quality. Not a single flaw or problem. This car is not a performance "sports" car, but it is exactly what I was looking for: an affordable, great riding, entry luxury car. Fantastic service from dealership.

An ES 330 with lots of problems
By smirror on 06/13/05 13:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an Acura TL in 2002 and had a lot of noise problems. So when I needed to buy another car last year, I went for a Lexus brand with great reputation. But I was disappointed completely. The transmission hesitation made the driving so painful, in addition to many noise problems (rattling door, overhead, steering column and front passenger seat). In fact there are widespread complaint about the transmission problem in the Edmunds Forum discussions. My mistake was that I did not read them before buying the car. Still, I am surprised that the reviews here are pretty much all good. Go check out the Forum before you buy the ES. Don't make mistakes like mine.

My Opinion
By William Galarneault on 06/12/05 13:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Not as good as previous Lexus autos I have owned. One major problem causes me to never recommend this car. The transmission. It jerks, slows down differently when one lets up on the accelerator. Even acts like you are braking when you are not doing so. In itself, this could be adapted to by a driver, but it is not consistent. Sometimes it does these things, other times it acts like a normal car. Friends have assigned the knickname "Lurch" to this car.

Sorry I bought it
By red in KCMO on 06/08/05 16:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Not really any fun to drive around town. The tranmission does not shift properly. Lots of uncertainty about what gear the car wants to be in. I am a stop and go type driver and it is very irritating to have your head snap back when the transmission finally decided what gear to shift into. I would opt for the Acura next time---- Which will be next year. Hope my whiplash is cured by then!! Dealer service dept. says (regarding the transmission problem) "You will get used to it"

My 2005 Lexus ES330
By Robert Lemberes on 06/08/05 01:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Drivability, interior comfort are the best. I absolutely love my Lexus. The idle is so smooth and quiet I have to look at the tachometer to make sure it is running.

Lexus ES 300
By Bruce on 06/06/05 15:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Lacks a little guts on initial acceleration, but hey I'm not 16 anymore, and my need for top speed has diminished. If you want TRUE class and luxury, then look at this car.

Finally, the car I've been looking for
By Brad Gould on 05/29/05 18:20 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first car that after owning for a while I haven't found anything that I dislike. This oddly enough is also the first car I've bought without driving first.

bad transmission
By X-Redhead on 05/27/05 17:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Poorly shifting transission. It can not find next gear easily. Almost like the transmission is slipping and then takes hold and my head snaps back. Service manager says "you will get used to it". Huh?? For $37,000!! Tires, according to info that came with the car "may not last 20,000 miles". Bridgestone Turanza. Instruments hard to read in the daytime. Next time I will buy the Acura. Can't wait for the 2006 model Acura. This is the third Lexus I have owned and the first time I have been disappointed with my purchase. Also own a 2003 Mercury GM LS and at this point like it better.