2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan Consumer Reviews 4

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.3L V6 5-speed Automatic - (151 reviews )
Size vs me
By mark on 07/10/06 07:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The Lexus ES 330 is a nice car. However it's a bit cramped inside. The between the seats cup holder is terrible and the acceleration is weak. Fuel mileage on trips is good, but poor around town.

Retirement Car
By Hank on 05/20/06 22:15 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

We wanted a car that would make long trips easy. The ES 330 does that in style. My wife can't stand the cup holder. She drives it to work and needs her coffee. Since Katrina the traffic has gotten worse than ever. I am glad she has the comfort and safety of her new car while sitting in traffic. I find the tires transfer noise to the cabin. Our car had to have the radio replace shortly after purchase. Over all I am very happy with our retirement road trip transportation. PS. ours is gold and my 4year old grandaughter has gone on several trips with us and thinks Goldielocks is fun.

Frustrated by Lexus
By Ray Wiese on 04/21/06 18:05 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've been wholeheartedly disappointed with the ownership experience. Dealer "acknowledges my problems" but states "Lexus has no technical fix". Problems are transmission surging when accelerating from a near stop (say, 5 mph) following speed humps or in stop/start traffic - caused by computer controlled throttle and wind noise from driver's mirror. Also, dash & door rattles that come and go depending upon outside temperature. From a brand ranked by many as being of high customer satisfactory rating, I personally have been wholeheartedly disappointed with the ownership experience. I truly want to love this care but remain frustrated with Lexus and Toyota. Expected more for the money.

TCM, ECM Problems
By Henry Casimer on 03/13/06 07:56 AM (PST)

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My wife is principal driver but in January 2006 I drove the ES330 4,000 miles from northern IN to Key West and return. The engine and transmission fails to respond to throttle commands and the vehcle does not downshift to third gear when needed. With the pedal to the metal at 60 mph it takes forever to get back up to 70/75 mph. Same problem on entrance ramps. Trying to merge in 4th or 5th gear at 2,000 rpm will not get you out of the way of 18 wheelers. Car is at the dealer now. Have reported this to NHTSA as a safety issue. 25 mph not too impressive. GM can do 30 mpg with 3.8 L.

My first non GM vehicle
By charlie on 02/08/06 13:39 PM (PST)

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the ES330 for the ride comfort, and it does the job. The fuel economy is not as expected (sticker ratings). The engine/transmission function is not smooth, but lots of jerk when shifting. Too soon (13K miles) to speak to quality, trusting the market over the years to be right. If the comfort was NOT my main need, I would not buy another. Just not a performing vehicle as I am used to.

It's a lemon.
By KFW on 01/25/06 19:06 PM (PST)

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I don't understand the positive reviews of this car. The transmission alone warrants a low rating. For those complaining about the transmission, wait until you reach 15,000-20,000 miles and your car needs new brakes ($305 at the dealer, $150 at your family mechanic) AND new tires. This car is a LEMON. Lexus customer "satisfaction" is unwilling to take responsibility for it, while the service manager admitted he is seeing these cars come in early for brakes and tires. Buyers of the new GS are being warned about the early deterioration of the brakes, and ES owners are being ignored. In the past Lexus has offered repairs and rebates for recurring concerns. We bought these cars in good faith and because we trusted the Lexus name. I would like to see Lexus restore our faith.

Hesitation
By Nancy on 12/13/05 16:54 PM (PST)

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Lexus this summer and have not been happy with it. The hesitation and jerking when starting to accelerate is not right. The dealer says this is normal for a V6 engine. If that's the case I'm selling! The drink holder between the front seats is in a bad location. If you try to use it and change gears you will spill the drink. I have been very disappointed with Lexus.

Nice car
By Joe on 11/14/05 13:44 PM (PST)

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is quite a nice car! It has a comfy interior with a nice GPS, and is quiet like Lexus is supposed to be. I don't really enjoy the jerks this car gives me, but other than that, it's great.

Great Ride
By Leon on 10/22/05 13:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first 6 cylinder car ever and what a ride. I took the 05 Avalon Limited for a test drive and although the engine may be more powerful the refinement and luxury of the ES is umatched. From the simplicity of the controls to the real wood throught the cabin. The comfort is unmatched. Owning a Lexus is great. I've had people comment me on how great the car rides and this is from owners of s500 and the GS300 as well, so that says a lot.

2005 ES 330, My Impression
By alboy on 10/10/05 22:22 PM (PDT)

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, this seems to be a very comfortable and smooth vehicle with one major exception, the transmission hesitation and lurch. When slowing down and then accelerating without stopping, there is a brief hesitation and then a jerk or lurch. I understand that Lexus has issue a Technical Service Bulletin to the dealers about this. It involves installing a software update for the transmission. The Service Rep at the dealer adised me that sometimes it makes things worse and, once installed, they can't undo it. I therefore choose not to do it at this time. Otherwise, it's a very good car with many nice features as long as you're not seated in the back, poor legroom.