Used 2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.3L V6 5-speed Automatic - (153 reviews )

For What It Is, It Is Perfect
By Synthetic

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought with 44,500 miles. It replaces our LS 400 which we drove for 15 years until it was sideswiped. This is a beautifully balanced car in all regards: comfortable, reliable, economical, and loaded with lux features. Unlike some other raters, this transmission is very smooth.. no issues at all (and I was looking for them). We are delighted, and look forward to another 15 year run in this Lexus. The ES is not as cushy as our LS, but it is close, and about 25% more economical on fuel.

Ride, navigation, seat comfort and styling, shift gate design, HID headlamps, auto climate control with dual controls, fit & finish inside and out, quiet, well balanced steering feedback, and it's not too flashy... it has a sort of finesse about it. A great, great, car.

Front cup holders are too low to grab tall containers (such as water bottles and my thermal coffee cup).

Solid vehicle for under $20K
By Dirty McNasty

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Lexus and most certainly not my last. It's funny how people don't understand how nice a Lexus is until they actually own one. They do so many little things to their vehicles that other's don't. When you finally own a car that's made in Japan, you'll understand. Yes, there is a known transmission jerk that you learn to avoid, trust me I own one. Plus, the dealer has a flash for the ECU to almost fix it.

Comfort. Every car I've ever owned I get more and more uncomfortable the longer the trip. The exact opposite happens in this vehicle. By the way, it has enough power and handling to satisfy the 30 plus crowd, under 30 need not apply.

Cup holders, it's designed for Venti Starbucks coffee and nothing else, granted thats what I put in there 90% of the time.

Watch That Dealer
By Janice

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Recently purchased 2005 Lexus 330, absolutely FABULOUS! Replacing brake pads and rotors because dealer pulled one over on me, but this car is my dream. One note: gas pedal seems a little sluggish, not sure if it's the high heels or not. I couldn't decide what to replace my 11yr old Mazda with and decided to go with a total luxury vehicle that is reliable and gorgeous. Believe me, I did my homework. This car "rocks"!

Navigation system, seat height when I enter vehicle.

Placement of gas pedal, not user friendly

Outstanding 2005 ES 330 with 48K miles
By MJW

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my ES 330 for 3 months and have made one rather lengthy trip, plus drive to work every day. I haven't experienced the transmission problems that others have. The navigation system that many complain about is fine. Read the manual and plan ahead. I agree the cup holders leave a lot to be desired. The sound system is great, but I wish the CD changer was in the dash. As for gas mileage - on my 1500+ mile trip I averaged 28.65 MPG, which includes driving into some heavy head wind - average speed 70+. Not a sexy car, but I am glad a made this purchase. Perhaps I just got lucky?

Heated and cooled front seats; rain-sensing wipers; great sound system; great fuel economy; smooth ride (and properly functioning transmission). I have all maintenance records (all work done at Lexus) - this car has never had a major problem.

Better cup holders; CD changer should be in the dash, not in the center console (I believe the ES350 improved in these areas); floor mats are not as good as Toyota - they should be equal to or better than Toyota Camry floor mats.

DON'T BUY A 2005 MODEL
By Tamra Parks

2005 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I have the same issues as others with the transmission and it drives me crazy. I complained at the 5,000 mile checkup and the dealership told me, "We know about this common complaint, but you will get used to it." In other words, too bad. My car has 63,000 miles and I have not gotten used to it. So I will never buy another Lexus because of it. This is my second one. Also, the cup holder is so flimsy that it broke and they want $380 to fix it. The quality is equivalent to what you would find in a $10,000 car.

Heated and cooled seats.