Used 2005 Lexus ES 330 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Lexus ES 330 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.3L V6 5-speed Automatic - (153 reviews )

A Great Car
By Brian M

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutely a pleasure to own and drive. Quiet and comfortable. Smooth ride. More than adequate acceleration and power for Chicago tollway driving. Excellent build quality. Not a single flaw or problem. This car is not a performance "sports" car, but it is exactly what I was looking for: an affordable, great riding, entry luxury car. Fantastic service from dealership.

Comfort of the seats. Interior design and feel.

Bluetooth would be nice. But maybe it is available now.

An ES 330 with lots of problems
By smirror

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I bought an Acura TL in 2002 and had a lot of noise problems. So when I needed to buy another car last year, I went for a Lexus brand with great reputation. But I was disappointed completely. The transmission hesitation made the driving so painful, in addition to many noise problems (rattling door, overhead, steering column and front passenger seat). In fact there are widespread complaint about the transmission problem in the Edmunds Forum discussions. My mistake was that I did not read them before buying the car. Still, I am surprised that the reviews here are pretty much all good. Go check out the Forum before you buy the ES. Don't make mistakes like mine.

Great interior material. Looks luxurious.

Transmission needs re-design. Better workmanship to reduce rattling.

My Opinion
By William Galarneault

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Not as good as previous Lexus autos I have owned. One major problem causes me to never recommend this car. The transmission. It jerks, slows down differently when one lets up on the accelerator. Even acts like you are braking when you are not doing so. In itself, this could be adapted to by a driver, but it is not consistent. Sometimes it does these things, other times it acts like a normal car. Friends have assigned the knickname "Lurch" to this car.

Easy to answer. It is the quiet ride with little wind noise and motor noise.

Go back to the old transmission that shifts smoothly and can be relied upon to act the same every time without hesitations.

Sorry I bought it
By red in KCMO

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Not really any fun to drive around town. The tranmission does not shift properly. Lots of uncertainty about what gear the car wants to be in. I am a stop and go type driver and it is very irritating to have your head snap back when the transmission finally decided what gear to shift into. I would opt for the Acura next time---- Which will be next year. Hope my whiplash is cured by then!! Dealer service dept. says (regarding the transmission problem) "You will get used to it"

Good paint, fit and finish, reliability and interior design. My last two Lexus 300s were great. Wish I had my 2001 Lexus back.

Fix this terrible tranmission!!! Needs long lasting tires. Lexus warns that the tires may last only 20,000 miles. Replacement Bridgestone OEM 17" tires are $150 each.

My 2005 Lexus ES330
By Robert Lemberes

2005 Lexus ES 330 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Drivability, interior comfort are the best. I absolutely love my Lexus. The idle is so smooth and quiet I have to look at the tachometer to make sure it is running.

The ventilated seats, power rear sun shade and rain sensing wipers.

Add power tilt and telescope to the steering wheel.