Used 2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Lexus Es-330 - Consumer Reviews

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan

Base 3.3L V6 5-speed Automatic - (222 reviews )

Good, but not great.
By My First Lexus

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This is a very smooth, quiet car. The performance is good for a car that is just billed as a luxury sedan. The fuel economy is great: 17/29 actual mpg. After 9,000 miles, I have no complaints about the quality of the car. My wife had a flat tire in the rain 900 miles from home. She called the 1- 800 roadside service. A local dealership called within 10 minutes and was there in 20 minutes. The driver called twice in route to assure her he was on the way. We received a follow-up phone call and a customer satisfaction survey.

Favorite Features

The ride and quiet performance are the best features of this car.

Suggested Improvements

There are no sun-shade extensions. My '97 Riviera had those. Needs steering wheel controls for radio and A/C. I think the 2005 has those. There is no lumbar support adjustment for the passenger. The exterior looks too much like a Camry.

Bad and Dangerous Transmission
By Jim N.

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This cars transmission hesitates very badly when accelerating off the line. I have used premium fuel. This does not help at all. Lexus will not fix it. Please read all the other consumer complaints in these reviews. Time for a class-action lawsuit. I love the rest of the car but this transmission problem is ruining my enjoyment of driving my new car.

Favorite Features

Smooth and Quiet ride. Very comfortable seats. Easy to reach controls. Great looks.

Suggested Improvements

Please fix this transmission or recall the car.

Beware of this car
By jp_60173

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

The ES330 has a plush ride, is very quiet and has a nice looking interior. However, the transmission shifts very roughly. Also, many exhibit a 'hesitation' that makes the car feel like an old car with a dirty carburetor that bogs down when trying to accelerate. It does not happen to every car but tends to get worse with time if your car is one of the unlucky ones. The service people at two dealerships admitted to the problem but said there is no fix and that this has been a issue since the 2002 models. They believe it may be a computer software problem. Lexus does not admit they have a problem and offer no fix. Ultimately, I got rid of my ES330 after 4 months. Stay away from Lexus.

Favorite Features

Nice interior.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the problem with the drive train that many ES330s have. Admit you have a problem and are working on a repair instead of burying your head in the sand and pretending all is well.

good
By dazizzo

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

better than my lincoln town car

Favorite Features

ride & comfort

Suggested Improvements

more standard options

fantastic car
By Cisse

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

My second ES. I love everything about this car. Beautiful styling, great power, fantastic ride, extremely quiet, amazing build quality.

Favorite Features

Navigation, Mark Levinson system, smoothness of engine, acceleration, buld quality

Suggested Improvements

better cup holders, add bluetooth technology and AWD