Used 2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.3L V6 5-speed Automatic - (222 reviews )

Class-action suit needed
By M. Marcotte

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Our ES330 is our second Lexus. But the transmission in the ES330 is rougher than a stick shift. It lurches, pauses, hammer-upshifts, and hunts for gears. These shifting patterns could produce unsafe conditions and loss of control on slippery roads. Lexus needs to fix! But they deny the problem. I was told by Meade Lexus service that the 2003 transmission software correction helped, but that the softwear update for the 2004 actualls makes conditions worse. Anyone interested in a class- action suit can have some of my $ and time to pursue.

Nice car spoiled by transmission. We're all going to face extraordinary depreciation and/or onerous repair bills when these transmisions start to self-distruct from rough shifting patterns.

Transmission recall.

Love my new SportDesign ES330
By chgoRX300

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Just got my 2nd Lexus 2 weeks ago! Lease due in Dec.2004 but Lexus wants to keep their happy customer offered me a 6 mo. payment waiver program. Basically I drop off my 42 mo. old RX300 and bought a new ES330 without any hassle. I picked the SportDesign Special Edition which has a sportier looking wheel and Black-eye Maple wood trim and smoky black finish in the back, GPS and ML is the best in the market, rear sun shade is cool. The ride is quieter than my RX300 (SUV) and the engine runs silkily smooth. I already have over 500 miles on my new baby.

Black Eye Maple Wood Trim. TouchScreen DVD GPS, ML Audio. Rear Sun shade. Value (compare to BMW) quite plush ride.

Built-in Satellite Radio, "Shift on demand" like Acura and BMW offered

Drivers seat
By JR Cole

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I drive about 100 hundred miles a day and find the drivers seat the most uncomfortable and painful. The front of the seat is mounted ~2" higher in the front which positions all the weight on your thighs. I've tried all the adjustments the seat will allow with no relieve. I spoke to the service manager about my problem his only comment was "ya that seat sucks!". Don't get me wrong all the acculades given this car are well earned and if you only drive around town 10 to 12 thousand miles a year you will probably never notice the discomfort.

The smoothness and quiet can't be any better, it's hard to believe your moving

Re-design the front seats!

Excellent And Bland
By David P

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

I agree the ES does not offer GT sedan performance. Kick in another $30K, if that's what you want and get the 430. I do not feel that the power or the transmission cause any safety problems. You can lock in a lower gear ratio, if the situation calls for it and the engine will give you what you need. I don't care about Porche, G35 Coupe, GT Sedan performance any more. That's why I bought the ES. If you don't care to have high performance handling and throttle/transmission response and if you do want a quiet comfortable ride with very nice interior appointments, excellent sound system and plenty of luxury features, this car is a great buy.

Interior appointments and comfort, sound system, surprisingly huge spacious feeling interior, heavy car feel, quiet, gentle ride.

I feel as if I have to reach way back, almost behind me to get into the center console storage and that's somewhat inconvenient.

great car
By Paul K

2004 Lexus ES 330 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

This sure is one of the best luxary cars out there in its price catagory, it has very smooth acceleration and the engine roar is also very nice. Got ours fully loaded, really glad we got the navigation. interior is the best part of the car, great lether and wood trims

auto-dimming rear view mirror, engine roar, mark levinson sound system, HID lights

a little bit more hp, tiptronic transmission, mirrors should move down when parrell parking like on the RX.