2016 Lexus ES 300h Sedan Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Lexus ES 300h Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (8 reviews )

Leg room kinda tight
By nOrakat

2016 Lexus ES 300h Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I think one problem that stood out for me was that my left leg hit the door moldings. I like to open my legs a little when I drive and not have them straight in front of me (which if I did may not have been a problem). Another thing I noticed, that others have pointed out is that the braking was not too great. The brakes on my current car are pretty sensitive and responsive, but braking with the same pressure on this car felt like the car was sliding forward and actually alarmed me. It was sort of scary but did not have enough time with the car to see if I would get used to that. The ceiling on the car was sort of low so w me at 5'9" I had only a half an inch above my head; same with the back seats, but the leg room is very good. Three large adults in the back would be very tight. What stood out as exceptional for the car was the suspension. Absorbed the bumps very well, even in the horrible streets of NYC. Another thing that stood out was the engine noise. This car revs very high when accelerating from 0-50/60mph and even with the sound deadening, engine is still loud due to the RPM. The sound system only sounded OK in the Premium version.

Pay Less for More
By Joanne Christopher

2016 Lexus ES 300h Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Lexus is riding on its name. For $7,700 less than the Lexus ES 300h, I purchased a Toyota Avalon hybrid Limited. The Avalon has more features, better styling, intuitive technology, a bigger trunk and is just plain fun to drive. The Avalon is built on the Lexus LS frame, while the Lexus ES is built on Toyota's Camry frame. I say this as a former Lexus ES 350 owner; I loved that car! The new ones are no match for my old Lexus or for the Toyota Avalon Limited.

Lots to love, but some disappointments as well
By robert finn

2016 Lexus ES 300h Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my 2016 ES300h for 2 months. I really like the outside styling and the interior is luxurious and very comfortable. I am getting very good gas mileage. Acceleration in power mode is very good, but I don't use it that often, preferring to get better fuel economy. I find the ride to be very smooth and quiet. The safety features are terrific. In general I love the car, but here are some issues that have disappointed me. 1. The satellite radio reception is TERRIBLE…music fades out every day, this makes me wish I had a different car. I had sirius/xm reset the signal but that did not help.
2. The radio equalizer balance changes dramatically from station to station.…sound is better than the standard audio system but not worth the $2,500 I paid for the Mark Levinson upgrade. This is very disappointing.

July 15 2016 update: I took the car in to Lexus of Austin to research the audio problems described in #1 and #2 above.
The service rep said it is a problem recognized by Lexus that affects a few (random) vehicles across all the Lexus models but they do not know how to fix it. It is weak reception signal that causes dead spots and also lack of HD reception which causes some stations to sound very bad, while other stations sound full and rich. They informed me it could be many months before the issue might be fixed. They recommended that I contact Lexus USA customer service to file the issue.

3. Voice recognition is not good, making it difficult to enter destinations into the Nav system.
4. Nav system directions (by Tom Tom) are not good compared to google maps or garmin devices
5. Using google maps on my iPhone requires changing from radio to bluetooth in order to hear the driving directions though the car's speakers. It would be more intuitive if the phone directions would override the radio.
6. Climate control defaults to “recirculating” air instead of fresh air from outside: this is INSANE: I have to press the climate control button twice every time I drive the car just to get fresh air! This seems like a major design flaw. 7. No good place to mount my cell phone (air vents are too recessed to use normal air-vent clips)
8. Limited storage: Front side door storage bins should include a cup holder, but they don't
9. Limited storage: One front cup holder along center console is TOO far back
10. Limited storage: No small compartment for sunglasses I bought this car because I wanted a hybrid. My last car was an Acura TL. I would have bought a TL hybrid if one existed. The Acura did not have any problems with satellite radio reception, defaulted climate control to FRESH air (what a concept)!, and had more storage compartments (for cups and sunglasses and cell phones).

Great all-around car
By kathleen kurchyn

2016 Lexus ES 300h Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Nice but not nice enough for the $
By singercp

2016 Lexus ES 300h Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I test drove the 300h with the tech package. I liked all of the tech features. I really wanted to like everything about the car. I test drove an es350 several years ago and was impressed. However, the 300h that I test drove did not have a smooth ride. There was also an excessive amount of wind noise. Maybe I drove a lemon ? I wound up buying a Hyundai hybrid limited. The interior was not quite as nice, but it was quieter and had a smoother ride.