Used 2014 Lexus ES 300h Sedan Consumer Reviews - 8 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Lexus ES 300h Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2014 Lexus ES 300h Sedan

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (8 reviews )

A great car
By Don Nattkemper

2014 Lexus ES 300h Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Of 50 years of buying all types of cars, I can honestly say that this 2014 Lexus hybrid beats them all hands down.

Tons of "Normal" Defects
By Ryan

2014 Lexus ES 300h Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I'll start by saying I believe the issues I had with a brand new 2014 Lexus ES300H was due to a defective car, not consistent with others. I simply have to assume this is the case. I had two major issues never resolved which forced me to break the lease and sell the car. #1 - after 6 months of owning the car, when the car reaches about 30 miles an hour, a large rattle would occur lasting a few seconds. I took it to the Santa Monica Lexus repair shop. I was able to demonstrate the issue during a test drive with the head shop foreman. After 1 week in the shop they identified the issue as being the heat shield. The heat shield was "repaired", I picked up the car, the problem returned. This went on for 2 more visit before I gave up and took it to another Lexus repair shop. Long story short, that repair shop stated the sound is "normal" and therefore didn't want to repair it. The sound was very loud. Not possible to have a sound like that on any new car. The second problem had to do with the A/C. Each time I started my car with the A/C already in the 'ON' position, a mildew smell would come out the vents. I was told this is caused by a buildup of water in the engine area, also considered "Normal". The advice was to turn the AC off before starting the car which is ridiculous for a brand new car. Between these two issues and the terrible service, I decided to bite the bullet by getting out of the lease (at a significant cost). I am happy to be rid of the car and will never by a Lexus again.

Lov'n this car
By mpgsaver13

2014 Lexus ES 300h Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've owned this car for two months now and feel ready to give a review. I traded in my 06 Acura TL. My daily commute is 140 hwy miles round trip (Oakland to Stockton, CA). I drive over two large hill ranges, dare I say, one is mountainous.
98% of my driving is hwy miles and my mileage is amazing. If I drive 70-75 mph, I'll get 39-41mpg, while if I go 65-69 mph, I can get 42 mpg. I've tried just about every way to drive. Easy going, to "really" easy going and in ECO mode gets me the same as in Normal mode. In sport mode and driving really hard I'm getting 34-
35 but again that's fast at every turn, on ramp, and passing other cars.

As for the rest, I'm loving the Siri eyes free, the Super quiet ride, virtually no engine noise, and the smooth ride. Some other reviews say it's a rough ride but I don't believe them. I Love the luxurious feel. Power is definitely sufficient and fun especially when in Sport mode.

Most models have the Nuluxe aka leatherette, I wish I would have got one with all real leather. I believe that's in the Ultra luxury package. Suggest Lexus add the drivers seat lumbar adjustment to go up and down also, not just forward and aft.

great
By brendan23

2014 Lexus ES 300h Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

it is a great car and i have been getting 40 mpg on the road. i don't get how people get like 26 mpg they must be driving fast.

the smooth ride is great and the seats are very comfortable.

Excellent luxury hybrid!
By oreoelsa

2014 Lexus ES 300h Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We just bought this car in late January, so we haven’t put in as many miles as some other folks.
Having said that, I have a daily commute averaging 100 miles, so I think I am qualified to write a review on this car by now :)

To put it simply, if your objective is to purchase a nice, luxurious family car that is beautiful inside and out and gives excellent gas mileage, then you simply just can’t go wrong with this car.
For context, we purchased the Ultra Premium Luxury package with the Mark Levinson audio system.
While this car may not be the fastest luxury car out there (spend another $50,000 in change and get a Tesla Model S then), it is a phenomenal grand touring car, no question.

The interior is beautifully crafted and the cabin is whisper quiet at highway speeds. Second, the leather seats in this car are far more comfortable than the ones in my earlier BMW 5-series, which were a bit on the firm side (as European cars tend to be. Third, the rear seat in this car is stupendous; in fact, the rear seat legroom (41.9 inches) is MORE than that in the 2nd row of the Honda Odyssey (40.9 inches), seriously! When you combine all this with the best sound system I’ve heard in a car – yes, the Mark Levinson (15 speakers, 830W) in this Lexus is better than the Bang & Olufsen in the BMW – it is no wonder that my kids want to take this Lexus every time we go somewhere :)