About what I expected
By socal21st on
2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I've been driving this car for about three months now and I finally feel as if I'm qualified to write a review. I'm coming from a BMW 525i 2005 model. Overall it compares favorably. It's not as sporty as a BMW. Signature Lexus features such as mushy steering, floaty suspension and certain accents you know they got from a Toyota. I paid $47k out the door for the luxury option model with heated/cooled seats, parking assist, side sensors, smart cruise control, voice command, GPS, etc. About the mileage. I'm getting 37 on the city and 42 on the highway for about 39-40 combined. You need to learn how to drive this car for efficiency if you want the full hybrid mileage advantages.
Favorite Features
* Interior- Generally very nice. Compares well to a BMW. However, there are instances where you know they used Camry parts, like the glove compartment, some knobs and buttons, etc. Certain panels and accents are not as thick as materials that BMW uses. * Exterior- Very nice. Has understated elegance. Given the uniform design language Lexus has adopted, the ES looks like the more expensive GS or a sporty IS, at first glance. * Ride- Surprisingly sporty. It has a sports mode, but you won't really use it unless you are happy with about 35 mpg average. Feels like a spirited four cylinder coming up with a very good V6 imitation. It gives you nice acceleration when you want it.
Suggested Improvements
- Lexus voice command needs serious improvement. It's like a retarded Siri with hearing problems. I never use it, unless for comic relieve. - User interface could use some work. Their combo mouse/track pad is actually pretty good. I liked it better than BMW's iDrive, but it's still hard to navigate. I can't get to the most obvious features easily. Graphics are a bit simplistic. Reminds me of my Nintendo NES from my childhood. Tech is designed best for iPhone. Android integration is just okay. - Steering and suspension. What can I say? Feels like a Camry, albeit an upscale one. Maybe you are into that, maybe not. I am lukewarm about it.