Used 2013 Lexus ES 300h Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Lexus ES 300h - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (17 reviews )

Not as quiet as ES model
By fsb123

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my car in September 2013,traded in my 2007 ES350. First thing I noticed is a strong thumping noise when you start the car and put it in reverse when backing out of the driveway. The same thumping noise is repeated when the car is in idle like when waiting for the traffic light to change like the battery is switching to gas. I usually drive the car on ECO mode but I have never reached the 39 to 40 mpg advertised, my car is only averaging 30 mpg and on a average speed of only 29mph. I have the parchment interior which get dirty in no time. Interior amenities not as generous as the older ES350. Overall the car is satisfactory but not worth the premium price over the ES350.

Better mileage than regular gas engine, uses regular gas. Has the power and speed when needed in highway driving. Back up camera and parking assist features are great.

Interior amenities not user friendly and difficult to use when driving. Also features are not as generous compared to the older lexus es350 models.

Love Everything, EXCEPT...
By murphy50

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Ok, everything is great, except the darn front seats. The front seat cushion side bolsters dig into my hips and thighs. It gets annoying and makes me want to dump the car. Last years model had fantastic seats for the butt. I am not fat - in fact I am skinny and tall, and in my early 40's. If you have a slightly larger than average butt, you better sit in this awhile. I do not like it and mad that I have to "get used to it" I want everyone to know that this is something to look at, and what I consider a design mistake

It is very very smooth on all roads.

The front seat cushion side bolsters dig into my hips and thighs. It gets annoying and makes me want to dump the car. Go back to last years seats.

About what I expected
By socal21st

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've been driving this car for about three months now and I finally feel as if I'm qualified to write a review. I'm coming from a BMW 525i 2005 model. Overall it compares favorably. It's not as sporty as a BMW. Signature Lexus features such as mushy steering, floaty suspension and certain accents you know they got from a Toyota. I paid $47k out the door for the luxury option model with heated/cooled seats, parking assist, side sensors, smart cruise control, voice command, GPS, etc. About the mileage. I'm getting 37 on the city and 42 on the highway for about 39-40 combined. You need to learn how to drive this car for efficiency if you want the full hybrid mileage advantages.

* Interior- Generally very nice. Compares well to a BMW. However, there are instances where you know they used Camry parts, like the glove compartment, some knobs and buttons, etc. Certain panels and accents are not as thick as materials that BMW uses. * Exterior- Very nice. Has understated elegance. Given the uniform design language Lexus has adopted, the ES looks like the more expensive GS or a sporty IS, at first glance. * Ride- Surprisingly sporty. It has a sports mode, but you won't really use it unless you are happy with about 35 mpg average. Feels like a spirited four cylinder coming up with a very good V6 imitation. It gives you nice acceleration when you want it.

- Lexus voice command needs serious improvement. It's like a retarded Siri with hearing problems. I never use it, unless for comic relieve. - User interface could use some work. Their combo mouse/track pad is actually pretty good. I liked it better than BMW's iDrive, but it's still hard to navigate. I can't get to the most obvious features easily. Graphics are a bit simplistic. Reminds me of my Nintendo NES from my childhood. Tech is designed best for iPhone. Android integration is just okay. - Steering and suspension. What can I say? Feels like a Camry, albeit an upscale one. Maybe you are into that, maybe not. I am lukewarm about it.

Honest car owner feedback
By hp51200372

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Excellent car with quiet, comfortable ride. Great fuel mpg at the cost of sacrificing performance with 4 cylinder 156 HP engine. Loud engine noise accelerating even in sport mode. Expensive 46k car for 4 cylinder CVT hybrid engine. Not worth the money. Lexus ES350 v6/268 HP is highly recommended which cost 3k less then ES300H.

Sports mode with tachometer light in dash board. Front LED day time running lights and HID head light. Excellent exterior and interior. Good premium sound system and navigation. Quiet and comfortable ride.

Engine performance. (4 cylinder engine should not be put into limousine size car). Lexus should have offer 6 cylinder hybrid engine for 46K price car, not 4 cylinder for shake of mpg. Brighten the door/window switch light. Seat cushion is not comfortable for long ride.

Baby on board
By einstone

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Excellent car, i upgraded from BMW. My wife has to ride with our baby in the back, and the leg space is really incredible i trade with her some times too and love it but roof could be a bit higher for long torso man that i am. we also had an 08 Xterra SUV and ES has way more leg space in the back! MPG 32 city (we live in a up and down area) combined is 35.5 and on a freeway close to 40 that is with all 5 seats occupied and trunk full of Costco goods, 15 gal fuel (91 premium).

I love space, MPG, electronics, the sport mode makes it feel like there was no power trade off at all. 4th thing for suggestions cause i ran out of space there- radio buttons too far. they should be next to the little mouse. the steering wheel only switches preset channels. and with the XM radio, you want to scroll around some times with out having to reach towards the dash. 5th add more LEDs like in the trunk and around the car, its simple and makes it more family friendly/trendy.

1 the back up camera displays the message about your phone being connected or not and with that it blocks part of the very useful upper screen when backing out of the drive way. 2 after turning the car on and shifting the drive stick in to d/r position, you have to go back to P cause it was not ready to go just yet -makes a bad getaway ride. 3 taking corners is hard habit to brake after driving BMW. need low profile tires and the sway bar upgraded to keep all 4 on the road. i have one turn entering uphill freeway as it curves, and i always make a squeal and a burnout cause it looses traction as i'm trying to get away from catching up traffic. never on BMW even left right swing mushy...