Used 2013 Lexus ES 300h Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Lexus ES 300h - Consumer Reviews

2013 Lexus ES 300h

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (19 reviews )

Great reliable commute car
By David

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have enjoyed this vehicle on my 2 hours daily commutes.

Honestly love this car
By E.L.

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Have had my ES300h for a little over a year and 20K miles. Even though it is not the strongest performance sedan, I knew this before buying it. I use this car to drive back and forth to work in traffic, occasionally take a weekend trip in it with my family. It's never let me down. It has great room for everyone, quiet (though not as quiet as my dad's LS), and very comfortable. Bonus is the great gas mileage in a luxury car (avg 38 in the spring, summer, fall and 34-35 in the winter). My only complaint is the slightly narrow seats as mentioned by some other reviewers. Like the mouse-like nav entertainment interface (though, did take some getting used to), and the dealership service is INCREDIBLE.

Not as quiet as ES model
By fsb123

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my car in September 2013,traded in my 2007 ES350. First thing I noticed is a strong thumping noise when you start the car and put it in reverse when backing out of the driveway.
The same thumping noise is repeated when the car is in idle like when waiting for the traffic light to change like the battery is switching to gas.
I usually drive the car on ECO mode but I have never reached the 39 to 40 mpg advertised, my car is only averaging 30 mpg and on a average speed of only 29mph. I have the parchment interior which get dirty in no time. Interior amenities not as generous as the older ES350. Overall the car is satisfactory but not worth the premium price over the ES350.

Better mileage than regular gas engine, uses regular gas. Has the power and speed when needed in highway driving. Back up camera and parking assist features are great.

Interior amenities not user friendly and difficult to use when driving. Also features are not as generous compared to the older lexus es350 models.

Love Everything, EXCEPT...
By murphy50

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Ok, everything is great, except the darn front seats.
The front seat cushion side bolsters dig into my hips and thighs.
It gets annoying and makes me want to dump the car.
Last years model had fantastic seats for the butt.
I am not fat - in fact I am skinny and tall, and in my early 40's.
If you have a slightly larger than average butt, you better sit in this awhile.
I do not like it and mad that I have to "get used to it"
I want everyone to know that this is something to look at, and what I consider a design mistake

It is very very smooth on all roads.

The front seat cushion side bolsters dig into my hips and thighs. It gets annoying and makes me want to dump the car. Go back to last years seats.

About what I expected
By socal21st

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've been driving this car for about three months now and I finally feel as if I'm qualified to write a review.
I'm coming from a BMW 525i 2005 model.

Overall it compares favorably.
It's not as sporty as a BMW.
Signature Lexus features such as mushy steering, floaty suspension and certain accents you know they got from a Toyota.
I paid $47k out the door for the luxury option model with heated/cooled seats, parking assist, side sensors, smart cruise control, voice command, GPS, etc.

About the mileage.
I'm getting 37 on the city and 42 on the highway for about 39-40 combined.
You need to learn how to drive this car for efficiency if you want the full hybrid mileage advantages.

* Interior- Generally very nice. Compares well to a BMW. However, there are instances where you know they used Camry parts, like the glove compartment, some knobs and buttons, etc. Certain panels and accents are not as thick as materials that BMW uses. * Exterior- Very nice. Has understated elegance. Given the uniform design language Lexus has adopted, the ES looks like the more expensive GS or a sporty IS, at first glance. * Ride- Surprisingly sporty. It has a sports mode, but you won't really use it unless you are happy with about 35 mpg average. Feels like a spirited four cylinder coming up with a very good V6 imitation. It gives you nice acceleration when you want it.

- Lexus voice command needs serious improvement. It's like a retarded Siri with hearing problems. I never use it, unless for comic relieve. - User interface could use some work. Their combo mouse/track pad is actually pretty good. I liked it better than BMW's iDrive, but it's still hard to navigate. I can't get to the most obvious features easily. Graphics are a bit simplistic. Reminds me of my Nintendo NES from my childhood. Tech is designed best for iPhone. Android integration is just okay. - Steering and suspension. What can I say? Feels like a Camry, albeit an upscale one. Maybe you are into that, maybe not. I am lukewarm about it.