2013 Lexus ES 300h - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.5L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (17 reviews )
Not as quiet as ES model
By fsb123 on 01/09/14 02:17 AM (PST)

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought my car in September 2013,traded in my 2007 ES350. First thing I noticed is a strong thumping noise when you start the car and put it in reverse when backing out of the driveway. The same thumping noise is repeated when the car is in idle like when waiting for the traffic light to change like the battery is switching to gas. I usually drive the car on ECO mode but I have never reached the 39 to 40 mpg advertised, my car is only averaging 30 mpg and on a average speed of only 29mph. I have the parchment interior which get dirty in no time. Interior amenities not as generous as the older ES350. Overall the car is satisfactory but not worth the premium price over the ES350.

Love Everything, EXCEPT...
By murphy50 on 12/16/13 10:30 AM (PST)

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Ok, everything is great, except the darn front seats. The front seat cushion side bolsters dig into my hips and thighs. It gets annoying and makes me want to dump the car. Last years model had fantastic seats for the butt. I am not fat - in fact I am skinny and tall, and in my early 40's. If you have a slightly larger than average butt, you better sit in this awhile. I do not like it and mad that I have to "get used to it" I want everyone to know that this is something to look at, and what I consider a design mistake

About what I expected
By socal21st on 11/27/13 14:27 PM (PST)

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I've been driving this car for about three months now and I finally feel as if I'm qualified to write a review. I'm coming from a BMW 525i 2005 model. Overall it compares favorably. It's not as sporty as a BMW. Signature Lexus features such as mushy steering, floaty suspension and certain accents you know they got from a Toyota. I paid $47k out the door for the luxury option model with heated/cooled seats, parking assist, side sensors, smart cruise control, voice command, GPS, etc. About the mileage. I'm getting 37 on the city and 42 on the highway for about 39-40 combined. You need to learn how to drive this car for efficiency if you want the full hybrid mileage advantages.

Honest car owner feedback
By hp51200372 on 11/25/13 20:55 PM (PST)

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Excellent car with quiet, comfortable ride. Great fuel mpg at the cost of sacrificing performance with 4 cylinder 156 HP engine. Loud engine noise accelerating even in sport mode. Expensive 46k car for 4 cylinder CVT hybrid engine. Not worth the money. Lexus ES350 v6/268 HP is highly recommended which cost 3k less then ES300H.

Baby on board
By einstone on 11/16/13 00:25 AM (PST)

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Excellent car, i upgraded from BMW. My wife has to ride with our baby in the back, and the leg space is really incredible i trade with her some times too and love it but roof could be a bit higher for long torso man that i am. we also had an 08 Xterra SUV and ES has way more leg space in the back! MPG 32 city (we live in a up and down area) combined is 35.5 and on a freeway close to 40 that is with all 5 seats occupied and trunk full of Costco goods, 15 gal fuel (91 premium).

Absolutely Wonderful Car
By guidobill on 11/02/13 07:56 AM (PDT)

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I put 120K trouble free miles on my Altima Hybrid. Really liked the Altima This is basically the same car since Nissan "borrowed" Toyota technology. I expect the same reliability from the Lexus. The difference is in the luxury ride and feel of the Lexus, as well as the outstanding build quality. I get 37 to 40 mpg in mixed driving. Now have 11K miles on Lexus and it has been reliable. The hybrid technology is not "state of the art" but I like that. It's proven. The Nickel Hydride batteries are "bulletproof."

Two Lexus ES300h Great gas mileage
By steising on 10/20/13 10:38 AM (PDT)

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought 2 ES300h hybrids in December 2012. My wife and I drive them to work every day. I keep meticulous records and since the first day I bought the cars I get an actual 40.1 mpg and my wife gets 36 mpg. I get better gas mileage in the city than on the highway. The last two months I have been getting about 45.5 mpg and my has been getting 38.5. We love this car. We traded in 2011 ES350 and 2011 RX450's. We went from 25 mpg in the ES and 17 mpg with premium gas in the RX. I read a review for the ES300h 2014 where the person said they were getting 25 mpg. They must drive poorly as I drive 5 miles over the speed limit everywhere I go and I get the mpg on the sticker.

Front driver seat is bad
By russell42 on 08/31/13 18:55 PM (PDT)

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The front drivers seat hurts my leg and is uncondortable

All I expected but . . .
By selkirk2 on 08/06/13 12:34 PM (PDT)

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Owned my ES300h for six months and have enjoyed almost everything about the car. It is perfect, for me, except that the fuel consumption (mainly in town), is poor averaging between 7.2 and 7.9 litres per 100 kms - Lexus tell me it will improve but so far no joy. Probably biggest irritation is the GPS - only one voice available and that not to my liking; no Spanish or French option; and it seldom understands my (english) accent! Oh, and the trunk is small. Otherwise, beautiful car. Happy camper I am.

First time hybrid owner
By johnnyrainbow on 07/04/13 07:11 AM (PDT)

2013 Lexus ES 300h 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Up until now, hybrids looked like, well.....hybrids. Little bug like vehicles that got great mileage but that's where it stopped. This thing, this 300h, has the looks, reliability, fuel efficiency, comfort and luxury we've been waiting for. Being only $2,500.00 more than it's gas only brother, the ES350, Lexus did us a great favor. The extra dollars spent up front really gets made up in the great fuel economy in just a few years, versus 10-12 years with a lot of hybrids.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Lexus ES 300h in VA is:

$138 per month*