Used 2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus Es-300 - Consumer Reviews

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan

Base 3.0L V6 5-speed Automatic - (114 reviews )

Smooth and Quiet
By jrsmithson

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned the vehicle for six months and have 3222 mile on the meter. It is silky smooth and quiet. No wind or road noise. A little floaty on uneven roads but only minimum. Mileage on trips have been 26mpg and around town about 21mpg. Eventhough it is based on the Camry and consumer magazines say buy the Camry because of the cost. I have drove a 2003 Camry and the ES300 has nothing in common to a Camry on the road. I highly recommed this car to anyone wanting a silky smooth quiet car that get you there in style.

Favorite Features

Appearance Big list of standard options Smooth Ride

Suggested Improvements

A little more power for mearging in traffic. Traction Control should be standard.

Gary's ES300
By GaryN

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 2000 ES300 before this and loved it, but the new car is so much better - very solid, excellent riding and handling. It took a while for me to get used to the new body style but I've learned to love it, and the interior is beautiful.

Favorite Features

Interior comfort, solid feel, fun to drive.

Longed for the ES300 for three years
By New ES300 Owner

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I love the car. It's a luxury car so I can't complain too much that it doesn't take off from a red light the way I would like. But after getting started, it really moves. I was warned that the Lexus could be a little noisy, but to me it's not unbearable.

Favorite Features

My favorite features: Automatic lights. Never having to worry about turning them off or on. The feature that detects water on the windshield and automatically turns on the wipers rates high. One touch button opens not only the driver's but all windows.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign storage area between front seats. Opening is on the awkward side; so are the cup holders. Also, living in a big city, automatic activation of the theft deterrent system would have been great.

The Camry is just as nice
By dienberg

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The leather, wood, and soft materials are gorgeous. I especially like the alluminum skuff plates and the intricate interior lighting at night. The exterior fit and finish is perfect, unlike my mother's 2002 Camry. Both cars, however, have had their fair share of rattles and squeaks. I'll admit that there are definitely transmission shudders, but my 99 Solara exhibited the same characteristics. Whatever reviewer claims the noise levels are too high is nuts. If you don't need the extra warranty, the FANCY interior, or the extra soundproofing, save and get a LE V6 Camry. Overall, a solid best buy in the class.

Favorite Features

Quietness, Beautiful interior design and finish, Best paint job in the industry (Don't need to pay $300-$800 more like the German's make you do for metallic), Standard Pioneer stereo is fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the squeaks and rattles (especially the Moonroof), they are inexcusable in this price range. My 99 Solara did not have one squeak or rattle in over 48,000 miles of driving. More contrast on the stereo screen.

Best car I've ever owned
By grisch

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

You have to understand the Lexus ES300 is the first non-American car I've ever purchased, so I may not be the best judge. Nonetheless, it is clearly the best car I have ever owned. I traded in a Buick I thought I loved and have never regretted it. I also test drove a Mercedes, a BMW, an Acura, a Cadillac CS and a Lincoln LS. In the end I still bought the Lexus. The ONLY thing I can say that the others had over the Lexus is exterior design. The Mercedes and BMW are "classier' looking and the Cadillac is just more interesting looking.

Favorite Features

Interior design, comfort, highway handling, the sound sytem, the reliability and how my friends react to it. Overall, just the obvious quality.

Suggested Improvements

I think the exterior design could use some work. You instantly recognize a Mercedes or a BMW and they say "class." The Lexus design doesn't look that different from its Toyota cousins