Used 2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 5-speed Automatic - (115 reviews )

Wonderful - with even greater potential
By unclecheeb

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

A wonderful vehicle in a class by itself. Attracts attention, but the ES and Camry look too similar. Fantastic interior. Comfortable seats with a myriad of adjustments. First-class fit, finish and quality of materials, exceeds quality of others in class. Ride is plush, but not advertised as a sports sedan. Safety features abound. Excellent driver and passenger protection. Many comfort and convenience features, yet there is room to further distance the ES from the pack with the addition of convenience option features from the LS series e.g., keyless entry/ignition, storage bins, auto-adjusting steering wheel, auto door closure, etc.

Fit, finish and quality of materials. Quiet cabin. Very good creature comfort and convenience features, e.g., dual climate control, heated seats, in dash CD with cassette. Excellent safety features.

Transmission needs "response" improvement. HP/torque should be in the 250 - 275 range for a more confident feeling in uban driving situations, e.g., merging, passing, quickly getting up to speed after manuvers, etc. Can not see radio/CD readouts in sun. Offer 17 inch wheels.

I Love This Car
By M.M.W.

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

We tested all of the cars listed as "compare to" on the Edmunds site except for the VW. We also tested Mercedes and BMW. We were ready to buy the Infinitiy until we tested this Lexus. From the moment we hit the road, we felt enveloped in an unbelievabley comfortable "cocoon." The smooth quiet ride, exceptional handling, close turning radius, pickup on the interstate, and the outstanding safety features all contributed to our utmost satifaction.

In addition to the above-mentioned performance features, I like the car's quietness, the sound system, the sunroof, and the amazing comfort of the seats. My spouse really likes the dual settings for mirrors and seats. I will love the heated seats in the winter.

Can't even imagine what they could improve on. We are in love with this car.

2003 Lexus ES 300
By NAEXECT

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Absolutly the best vehicle I have ever owned. I cannot believe the ride, comfort, and quality for this entry level luxury sedan. I have had nothing at all go wrong with it - currently 7000 miles. One suggestion - use high test gasoline. The dealer informed me that regular was all that was necesary. For the first 6 months that was all I used. The car ran well but I thought it was a bit sluggish. I switched to high test recently and seen a dramic increase in performance and better gas mileage.

The auto lights, wipers, seats. The seats are about the best I have experienced in an auto. The 6 CD changer and sound system is awesome! Best of all is the ride.

I would like to see a bit more power. I understand that the 2004 330ES has addressed this.

The ES needs work
By slarson

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 02-03 ES300's have a serious problem with the throttle/tranny computer. I've read reviews saying the ES330 does not correct that problem. Lexus has acknowledged that customers have reported problems with the drive- by-wire system, I'm one of those with major problems. I'm not sure how they could make a car that does not go when you give it gas, but there are different driving situations where that happens. Most notable is when pulling into traffic out of a parking lot. If not starting from a dead stop, the computer causes a serious lag and does not kick the engine in for a second or two. I'll never buy a Lexus again if Lexus does not fix this

Interior comfort.

Throttle/tranny computer still needs serious improvement.

thankyou lexus
By c fisher

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

More than what I expected for the money

quiet ride with a great stereo.

You did it with the 2004. A little more horse power