Used 2003 Lexus ES 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus Es-300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 5-speed Automatic - (114 reviews )

The Legend
By Bhavin B. Mehta

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I looked at Mercedez, Audi, Acura and a whole bunch of other cars. I decided to settle for a Lexus ES300 because all the features that I was getting as an option in some of the other vehicles were all standard in the ES300. It is a great drive. I already put in 1400 miles in the first 3 weeks. The dealer was great and definately deserves commendation.

Favorite Features

The windows open at a touch of the bottom. That is good add on in the summer. The sound is awsome. Heated seats would definately help in the winter. The cruise control switch could use some improvement.

Suggested Improvements

Lexus should have a design that makes it stand out and not look like a Camry. The standard seating is cloth but difficult to find cloth. Why not make leather a standard. Would love to have the stereo controls on the steering wheel.

My test of the Lexus ES300
By amf1932

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Basically I'm very pleased with this car. The only thing that bother me is the new 5 speed transmission. Here's a brief example of what I mean: If I drive about 35mph and then slow down to about 5mph and than try to accelerate there is a hesitation. It's as if the transmission can not decide on what gear to go into. When it finally does there's a slight lurch forward. One other thing is a rattle that happened in the right rear. The dealer had to remove the rear door panels and do something to the insulation to correct it. There was a service bulletin about this problem. I didn't expect that on a brand new Lexus!

Favorite Features

The GPS Navigation system is great.

Suggested Improvements

Fix this glich in the transmission. My '94 Lexus transmission was much better than this '03.

Ideal for wife
By pocketsoft

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The car is very comfortable, and has complete set of luxury features. Small truning radius makes it easy to park. 5 speed transmission is very smooth and responsive. Gadgets are well defined and easy to read. Low cabine noise and soft suspenssion make ride very pleasant.

Favorite Features

One touch all window/sunroof open/close (and from remote), navigation, breakes, automatic wipers, wood/leather steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Global closing from remote, steering wheels controls, free nav DVD upgrade, voice activated features as Accord has.

ES 300 (learn to love slowly)
By ccaveboy

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

When I bought this car, I wanted a solid car that would last and age well, ride nicely and get decent mileage. I did not want an accord or camry either. I reviewed at least a dozen cars and the ES 300 was always at the top of each category. After purchasing the car I have slowly learned it's little nuances and feel. I have grown to really appreciate just how solid a vehicle it is.

Favorite Features

ride. noise level smooth feel steering comfort visibility

Suggested Improvements

could use a little more power.....but I'm always wanting a little more speed

Great , but not like the previousES300s
By musicman2721

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

1000 miles. Has an erratic transmission shift pattern. Was present in the 2002 models as well, and was suppose to be fixed by a software change, but it isn't. It is actually dangerous. If you release your gas pedal, and press it back to where it was you get a huge thump. You also find it very hesitantif going from say 27 to 40 mph. The delay is very noticeable, don't get into an intersection, and need immediate move. First Lexus says, the fix is delayed (shelved), and now theysay end of 2003. I don't think Lexus knows how to fix this 5 speed problem. It affects power because normal gas pedal pressing doesn't allow the transmission to shift quick enough.

Favorite Features

The floor lights coming on when in park. Fit and finish look good except around door panel sill carpet. The electric trunk opener is handy, as well as the dual ac.Need more ac flow to rear passenger without blowing driver so hard.

Suggested Improvements

Fix Transmission,more power,Better carpet trim work door panel. Easier stick for steer.wheel tilt. Better back bolsters like BMW. darker leather, lighter easily dirtied. leather on door posts,no fabric.Looks like Camry. Harder paint on front bumper that doesn't chip so easy/discolor.