Used 2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Lexus Es-300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 5-speed Automatic - (114 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Great car
By jtg

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car for my wife. She loves it. Really well built. Quiet. Sound system is amazing. Smooth/classy. Very happy with this car

Favorite Features

mark levinson sound system

A top quality car
By n2doowop

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car new in 2003. Got a very good deal. Have put 150K miles on it. The last trip averaged 27-30 mpg. No major problems. The trans does still act funny every once in a while like most ES-300's. I noticed a lot of people had problems with the rear door window. I've replaced the switch twice. It still rides like new and looks it. The value is around $10K. I wouldn't sell it for $15K

Favorite Features

Comfort, leg room, fast acting A/C, gas mileage, looks

Suggested Improvements

the little quirks with the tranny and the switch problems on the rear window. They've already added more power to the newer ones.

All Around Quality
By Impressed owner

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used, 6 model years old and 69,000 miles. It is very comfortable to drive on extended trips, smooth, quiet, soft leather seats, and a high quality sound system. It has soft and smooth handling, as its designed as a luxury sedan, not a sports sedan. My only problems have been a pair of new catalytic converters(warranty) and after replacing a rear window, the automatic switch is off so I need to manually stop it on the way up. I will definitely look at Lexus when my wife's Avalon needs replacing someday. This one will stay in the family for the rest of its lifespan.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride. Very quiet. Great stereo. Silky smooth handling. Wood grain interior. Very comfortable seats. CLASSY.

Suggested Improvements

More snap to the engine, which was done in the ES 350.

Well, its a Lexus ! ! !
By fyler

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

When a car is rated as the top selling Lexus for the past 15 years there gotta be some serious reasons for that.After owning SC300 I needed a 4 doors so best reviews went to the ES300 and its bigger sister ES330.GS had mixed reviews, I hate the IS, I can't afford an LS and I don't like an RX SUVs.Don't listen to those who say that the ES300 is a glorified Camry, they probably never drove a Lexus. You will see the build quality in every single piece of interior, the sound the hood, trunk and door latch locks. And NO, these interior wood are not fake, Lexus doesn't use fake woods in its interiors. I have some suggested improvements below (not a deal breaker though, guess I just got spoiled).

Favorite Features

Its a Lexus so enjoy it.

Suggested Improvements

-The climate control LCD and the audio LCD light should have been blue or fluorescent light instead of that dull green at least it would have matched the cluster fluorescent light. I hate that the front end looks kinda a Camry and that green color LCD lights. - Better cup holders, these cup holders are UN-Lexus and they suck. - Leather interiors wear fast ( I guess because they are too soft and smooth). - The seats structure/where padding meets the structure is not a very solid one ( they feel cheaper than other Lexus).

Best car experience. vanilla ice cream
By Robert in Miami

2003 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the ES300 with 6 years and 36,000 miles on it. It was essentially as good as new, as it had been maintained by a Lexus dealership and driven less than 6,000 miles a year. I've driven it 12,000 miles in the first year and it has been just like the first year of a new car. No troubles at all. Flawless. A superbly built and engineered car, it does everything well and smoothly. I have noticed slight "hiccups" in the transmission but is hard to tell the conditions that create it. It happens about every 100 miles or so. Power is more than adequate but it's not a muscle car by any stretch. The local Lexus dealer service dept. advised me I will need to replace the engine mounts at 60,000K.

Favorite Features

Great interior. I love to caress it! A superbly smooth ride. A sense of luxury of a much more expensive car. Strides well and holds the road with authority. The brakes are responsive and are the best ABS system I've had, even compared to Infinity and BMW 7 series. The sound system is top notch.

Suggested Improvements

The fit between the front bumper and the front fenders dislodges easily with minor bumps. Needs to have a firmer fit. Apparently fixed in the ES350. Also the power issue was addressed in the ES350.