2003 Lexus ES 300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 5-speed Automatic - (113 reviews )
A top quality car
By n2doowop on 07/25/12 19:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the car new in 2003. Got a very good deal. Have put 150K miles on it. The last trip averaged 27-30 mpg. No major problems. The trans does still act funny every once in a while like most ES-300's. I noticed a lot of people had problems with the rear door window. I've replaced the switch twice. It still rides like new and looks it. The value is around $10K. I wouldn't sell it for $15K

Great car
By jtg on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car for my wife. She loves it. Really well built. Quiet. Sound system is amazing. Smooth/classy. Very happy with this car

Best car experience. vanilla ice cream
By Robert in Miami on 08/11/10 22:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the ES300 with 6 years and 36,000 miles on it. It was essentially as good as new, as it had been maintained by a Lexus dealership and driven less than 6,000 miles a year. I've driven it 12,000 miles in the first year and it has been just like the first year of a new car. No troubles at all. Flawless. A superbly built and engineered car, it does everything well and smoothly. I have noticed slight "hiccups" in the transmission but is hard to tell the conditions that create it. It happens about every 100 miles or so. Power is more than adequate but it's not a muscle car by any stretch. The local Lexus dealer service dept. advised me I will need to replace the engine mounts at 60,000K.

All Around Quality
By Impressed owner on 03/09/10 14:52 PM (PST)

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased this car used, 6 model years old and 69,000 miles. It is very comfortable to drive on extended trips, smooth, quiet, soft leather seats, and a high quality sound system. It has soft and smooth handling, as its designed as a luxury sedan, not a sports sedan. My only problems have been a pair of new catalytic converters(warranty) and after replacing a rear window, the automatic switch is off so I need to manually stop it on the way up. I will definitely look at Lexus when my wife's Avalon needs replacing someday. This one will stay in the family for the rest of its lifespan.

Low cost luxury
By Wayne on 01/19/10 10:25 AM (PST)

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the car at 6 years old with 69000 miles so someone else took the depreciation hit. Very nice car for the price. Smooth and quiet ride, and lots of amenities. Its not a sports car, but was not designed as one. It has a lot of the features of the Lexus LS without the price tag. Very dependable car. Catalytic converters needed replacement but were covered under warranty. Lexus dealership was outstanding on the repair. One window switch issue, automatic function does not work right after the window needed replacement, but not sure if it is a switch problem or an installation problem. After 4 GM cars and one Dodge, wife's 2003 Avalon and this ES 300, I am sold on Toyota.

Meets Expectations - generally...
By Mojo on 12/11/09 15:35 PM (PST)

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

The ES300 has been a very high quality and reliable automobile requiring very few repairs above and beyond the required scheduled maintenance. This vehicle gets decent gas mileage and generally averages about 21-23 mpg, and also has a very quiet and comfortable ride. However, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that this specific model has a slight hesitation in acceleration that the dealership was unable to correct. The automobile also has a fairly fragile paint job that scratches easily and is susceptible to rock chips. Reading the center console displays of radio/CD and heating/AC settings can be difficult when wearing polarized sunglasses.

Excellent car
By Wayne on 10/15/09 11:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My first luxury car purchase, used of course so someone else can take the depreciation hit, and I don't think I can ever go back to another less comfortable car. It is very quiet with an incredibly smooth ride. The cabin is classy, with high grade leather and wood grain accents. The steering and handling can best be described as silky. Keep in mind this is a luxury car, not a sports sedan, so it doesn't drive like a sports sedan. Highway mileage is 28 to 32 mpg, depending on speed and head wind. I had some warranty work done, (catalytic converters btw) and was VERY impressed by the Lexus dealer's service. 83,000 miles and appears as good as new. I will definitely look into a Lexus again.

Best Car of My Life
By Dick Verinder on 05/13/09 17:45 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the 18th car of my life. Previous car was Toyota Camry - sold after 9 years and 292,000 miles. This Lexus is better and I expect to keep it a full ten years. Reported mileage by Edmunds is too low. Without Ethanol mix I typically get 34 MPG highway at 65 MPH and 26 MPG city. This car is almost six years old and looks and rides like it's brand new. Lexus service is unbelievably efficient - you get spoiled real fast.

My 2nd (used) ES200
By Lynn on 02/27/09 21:30 PM (PST)

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car after my 1994 ES300 transmission quit going into overdrive & couldn't be fixed. But I had nearly 175K miles on that one so couldn't really complain much about that. I have not had any of the problems with the 2003 transmission that others have written about in their reviews. I did look at some other cars before getting this one - none of them compared to a Lexus. Guess the 94 spoiled me for any other car (that I can afford, lol).

2003 Lexus ES300
By KristiPahoo.com on 09/24/08 14:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in my 99 Lx470, which I loved, for a 2003 ES 300 in 2006...50,000 miles. I never thought I'd go back to a car but with gas prices on the rise and the amount of miles I drive I decided I would. I have now had my car for 24 months and not one problem. It currently has 121,000 miles on it and drives perfect just like the day I got it. Very pleased of course, as I was also very please with my LX470 before this vehicle. Gas mileage is great, 23 average in town, upper 20s-31 mpg on highway. Highly recommended :)