The Lexus Myth
By phil on
2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)
The impulse acquisition of this Lexus from a good TV ad on the GPS (the Lexus came with it) was a poor decision on my part. I stepped down from Mecedes Benz and/ Seville quality. My "Lexus owning business associates" encouraged me to switch brands. "The're dependable and never in the shop!" In the first year they replaced the front brake rotors two times. I kept remarking about the engine/transmission match up and the "hesitation on acceleration/pausing, but was assured that I had a great imagination. It was recalled by a Lexus letter at a later date. The backs of the leather front seats would depart when the electric seat adjustment were initiated.I am happy back in a Mercedes Benz.
Favorite Features
I attended the Lexus dealer school on the operation of the GPS and the auto's systems operations. I found the audience knew more about the GPS than the instructor. Once into the GPS operation I found it was very satisfactory.
Suggested Improvements
Don't acquire the first year production of any model! Service people need to listen. If your customer says there is a problem then either fix it or take the car back--Don't wait for the factory to tell you that you need to repace the engine/transmission micro chip!