Used 2002 Lexus ES 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Lexus ES 300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 5-speed Automatic - (82 reviews )

Nice car but..
By Ole John

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well it has a nice ride & is quiet. Nice features. It is a little under powered, but I expected that. Many have complained about instability of the transmission - but it is my understanding that the ES300 has fly-by- wire control, & have experienced "shuttering" to different degrees - from the feeling that your on a bumpy road, to a low frequeny shutter after coming down a hill & getting ready to go up another. This is a classic unstable servo system - something that the engineers should have solved long ago. BTW, the transmission isn't all that great either. Should be a lot better for a 35k car made by Toyota.

Nice ride, quiet, nice interior.

Solve the engine servo control problem & get a better transmission

Finest Yet
By #2in2

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Wow! Just traded my 2001 ES300 for the 2002. Night and day difference! This is car #40 for me and I've done them all, from Studebaker to Mercedes. This is the finest car I've ever been in. Style is awesome, interior a knockout, quiet, smooth and responsive. Tranny is a big improvement over last year, as is everything else.

tranny, more interior room, style and overall quality. Automatic wipers!

I gues a few more hp would be nice, but I really don't miss them.

Great car but watch out for rattles....
By RSinTx

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my ES300 for about 2 months now. I love it except for the fact that I had to take it back 6 time to get rid of a rattle comming from the passenger door. (After sending out a factory engineer, it was determined that the car needed re-welding.)While they were at it, Lexus also got rid of a couple other rattles. Rattles notwithstanding, however, this is truly a wonderful car to drive.

Quiet, comfortable interior. Smooth ride. Beautiful interior styling. Soft leather. Great Navigation system.

Hurry up and re-program the transmission for smoother shifting and hopefully a little more responsiveness from the engine. (The factory is supposedly working on this.)Focus on getting rid of rattles before they reach the customer.

Everything good but transmission
By Kelvin

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love everything except the slow- respond, not-smooth transmission. This is not what I expect from a Lexus. Sometimes it's getting so annoying that I hate my car. Other than that, everything else is soooooooo nice.

Nav, sound system (gotta get Mark L), leather (still smell so good after almost a year).

1 - transmission 2 - transmission 3 - transmission!

Wow!!! es300 rocks!
By my1st lexus

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my ES300 against my wife's objection. We have always been Benz fan and my last car was S320. Let me tell you my friends, this car actually runs smoother and quieter that my last benz. Fits and finishes are first class and Valencia Lexus service is better than any dealership I've ever been. To be honest, I am disappointed with the declining quality and service of Mercedes benz. even my wife is thinking of getting RX330 when it comes out next year.