Used 2002 Lexus ES 300 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Lexus ES 300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 5-speed Automatic - (82 reviews )

Transmission and Brakes
By Alabama Gal

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

My brakes had to be replaced at around 15,000 miles due to warped rotors. This also meant replacing the tires. Fortunately Lexus covered the cost. I just had them replaced again at 39,500 miles, at my cost. Was told that the area I live in is to blame since it is slightly mountainous. My husband has 70,000 miles on an 02 Yukon and has never had brake problems. I also would have like a smoother shift in the transmission. They did the computer changeover, but it is no better. When I took it in last I was told the brake replacement at 14K+ was a recall. When I called Lexus I was told there had never been a recall on the 02 Lexus.

Fun to drive, great stereo sound, smooth around the curves

brakes and transmission

Lexus ES 2002
By Patricia W.

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Although I do like this vehicle, I have to say it totally lacks 'get up and go'. It has major hesitation when trying to pick up speed QUICKLY such as getting on an interstate or crossing a lane(s)rapidly to get out of traffic's way. It has stalled badly in critical situations. I know in the years subsequent to 2002 the engine has been upgraded to a 3.3 litre but I just wonder if .3 is enough to do the job. I doubt I would ever buy another ES unless that engine was significantly bigger--

I LOVE the looks of the exterior front end. The inside is beautiful too. It has a quiet, smooth ride. Like gliding along. Corners beautifully also. The stereo system is great and the leather seats are fabulous. Very roomy. It also has a large trunk which really comes in handy.

It needs a MUCH bigger engine. It hesitates severely at critical times when power is quickly needed.

Excellent Quality with the Price Tag
By BBGG

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

One big problem: I left the car in the garage for my summer vacation for one month. It went totally dead. Dearler said it was not uncommon because of all the on-board computer features. Why put so many features if the battery cannot support it? Service consultants said I should have mentioned that I was a frequent traveller before making the buying decision. So you have to be able to afford to buy expensive car but no allowed to travel? The salesperson never told me that, and Mercedes and Porches did not give me this condition. 2nd question: noise started to appear after a year.

Quietness; fabulous interior quality;

Corolla & Camry should not share that many common features with ES, may me feel like I am driving a cheaper car

I'll never buy another one
By PARSON121

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had a 1993 Buick Park Ave Ultra that was supercharged so I figured the hesitation and lack of power was because I was used to a different car. The braking is poor, brakes replaced at 14000 miles,car hesitates on acceleration(dealer did the computer fix yesterday)still the same,had loaner car 2004 ES330 -same problems,brakes, acceleration etc.

LOVE THE HEADLIGHTS

Poor trunk light, acceleration,braking,arms not comfortable on wheel when driving for awhile(I'm 5'11)

I liked my 1998 Lexus better
By al klemm

2002 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd ES300. I traded in a 1998 model for this car. Power and gas milaege are less than last vehicle. Brakes on car were poor and unsafe. When dealer serviced car he informed us there was a defect. Vehicle was not recalled. Brakes were dangerous, customers are not notified. You find out when you complain about the brakes. I will never buy another Lexus.

6 disc in dash CD player, dual climate temperature control