UPDATE: Still Happy After All These Years
By usedcarguyrtr on
2001 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)
I wanted to follow up on my ownership experience; My previous post was listed by "W." and posted on 4/26/10. After having purchased this car back in Oct. 2009, it still runs beautifully and has not left me stranded once. I have put almost 40,000 miles on the car (now @ 136.5k miles) since my last post, and I still love it! I use my car for courier work (lots of stop and go driving), and it never hesitates. I had an O2 sensor replaced, which ran about $300; other than this one repair and basic upkeep (tires, oil changes, brake pads, tune-up), this car has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I recommend high-mileage rated synthetic oil to keep the engine at peak performance.
Favorite Features
Woodgrain Steering wheel, Coach Edition trim (which includes upgraded perforated leather seats among other lovely extras), excellent stereo, heated seats, decent acceleration, saavy traction control system for a car made in 2001, side air bags (luckily, never used), auto daytime-nighttime mirror, smooth and comfortable ride... I could go on forever about the creature comforts, but my most favorite feature is the reliability; all the work I've had done to the car in terms of maintenance and repairs combined over 42 months of ownership is still significantly cheaper and more cost-effective than one single repair cost on my former 1997 Mercedes C230 (to be fair, the 'Benz was four years older).
Suggested Improvements
My biggest grievances would be the poor gas mileage in the city and the fragile cupholders. Some older Lexus models have issues with the clearcoat deteriorating, and sadly mine is no exception; however, I used this in negotiations to land a better deal and it's merely a cosmetic issue (it doesn't really bother me considering the car is now over 12 years old). As I stated in the previous post a few years back, these issues have already been addressed by Toyota/Lexus with their newer models. The paint issue can be addressed by using premium cleaning and wax products (Turtle Wax "Ice" car wash soap and liquid wax seems to work very well, and is more cost-effective compared to a new paint job).