2001 Lexus ES 300 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Lexus Es-300 - Consumer Reviews

2001 ES 300 Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (30 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Perfect
By Bob Brandon

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I really love this vehicle. I bought it almost a year and a half ago and it is trully the best vehicle I've ever had. My friend also has one, his is a bit older 1997, but he never ever had any problems with this car. Just changes the oil and puts gas in it, thats it. This is a trully great vehicle.

Favorite Features

Powerfull and quiet engine, comfortable seats, exterior styling, wooden steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Auto Love
By Dentist

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted a true luxury car that wouldn't cost a fortune, was supremely reliable, and would hold its value. After 56,000 miles, I'm still truly thrilled. My driving style is very aggressive - hard acceleration and hard cornering. I've had no problems whatsoever, the car is still wonderfully smooth and dead quiet. Whether in rush-hour traffic or on 3,000 mile trips, I'm always pampered and comfortable. Although a luxury sedan, it is still FUN to drive and well-mannered when pushed hard. I strongly disagree with those reviewers that claim this isn't a true luxury car.

Favorite Features

Beautiful genuine wood accents on console and doors; supremely comfortable seats front and rear; great sound system with 6-CD changer in glove box; more than enough smooth silent horsepower (I rated performance an 8 because an AMG E55 it's not).

Suggested Improvements

Fortunately the traction control on 2001 and earlier ES300s can be switched off. When on, it will NOT allow hard acceleration while turning - like if you need to go quickly at a left turn light. Unless it is switched off, DO NOT get into that sort of situation!

My 2nd Lex
By lexusk8

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

As the title says, this is the 2nd Lexus I have owned, and so far the best (I previously owned a 1996 ES300). I bought this 2001 car with 64000 miles on it, all highway, and this was originally used as a business/company vehicle. This is a big improvement from the '96 in all aspects (exterior, interior, comfort, performance, you name it). I have always viewed the ES300 as the "perfect" daily driver for all seasons. Right now, the car has over 76000 miles, and I use the ES300 for everything (work commute, short/long trips, weekend drives). This is and has always been the budding example of Lexus quality.

Favorite Features

Auto-dimming mirrors, wood trim, 16" wheels, leather and heated seats, wood- and-leather steering wheel, 195-watt stereo system, instrument cluster, DRLs, xenon lamps, tailight design, UV- tinted glass

Suggested Improvements

AVS (adjustable variable suspension) should be an add-on option for this car. The paint tends to chip easily for some reason, but touch-up is an easy solution. Lexus has never been able to solve the wind noise problem often seen in all the ES300s.

My Junior
By sexilexy

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first car and this car has exceeded all my expectations. It is comfortable, smooth ride, spacious and it entails luxury that only a lexus could provide. The air conditioning system is perfect for the hot summers and digital so its easy to adjust while driving. Now all my friends want to invest in one. I love the car so much I talking about it like it's a real person. That's my Junior.

Favorite Features

Heated seats for the winter days. Running daytime lights, 6 CD changer located in the glove compartment more convenient than the trunk.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are not firm enough to hold cups just take them out.

Lexus
By anyone

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very Nice, good quality, resposiveness, very quiet and smooth uptake

Best I ever had.
By goodlanding

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got the car for the wife and drove it myself for the first year and a half. I slowly realized that an incredible car it really is and don't want to kill it with miles so I gave it back to her to drive to the market with. It really is the best car I have ever had. It does everything very well. No problems, its just full of understated elegance. One of the best things is that the dealer treats me like a human, not like the chysler dealers that figure you for the idiot that got suckered into buying one of their top of the line POS. My wife and I have agreed that we will always have at least one Lexus.

Favorite Features

Auto HID headlights, cabin air filter, musuem quiet ride, UV filtering glass, full protection against lower door dings, Silent Thrust, one button reset of seats and mirrors after the wife, auto sound level control,too many other things to list.

Suggested Improvements

This weekend it hailed...the traction light lit up while I was going about 60. I knew I should slow down and I did. I wish someone would improve the weather so that I can ride with the roof open.

Pleasure to drive
By jasok

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Lexus (coach Ed.), and I have to say, definitely not the last. I have had the car over a year, and have not had one problem with it. Acceleration is superb, as well and the steering and ride. All interior controls are well thought out. Excellent car!

Favorite Features

Auto up of windows. Seat memory that moves the side mirror in position. Acceleration - this baby goes when you put the spurs to her.

Suggested Improvements

I'm a tall guy, so I could use 2-3" more of legroom.

Great car
By coronado75

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Lexus, I bought the Coach Edition, black in color. I've always owned Toyota cars and trucks for the past 26 years. I wish I bought a Lexus when they first came out. The ride is smooth and comfortable. This is my weekend car, and I enjoy taking it for long dirives to the coast in GA.

Favorite Features

Quiet, smooth ride. Stereo system is great, I just don't like the CD changer located in the glove compartment.

Suggested Improvements

Can you make this to an In-dash 6 disc CD changer like some of the Toyota models? (like the Sequoia and Solara).

My experience
By migoff

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've thoroughly enjoyed my Lexus. This vehicle performs well, and I find it to be very comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

On a long trip, I find that the seats do not provide maximum comfort.

Lexus ES300 Platinum Edition
By JosephGut

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The ES300 is by far and away the most comfortable automobile that I've ever owned, one of the most solid cars, and technologically the best I've driven. This is the type of car where you'll never say to yourself, "Gee, I wish they had done this or that" as far as the ergonomic and technical features of the car. Everything is laid out perfectly and every bell and whistle that the most tech savvy person could wish for has already been added.

Favorite Features

Ergonomics - absolutely amazing with every detail perfectly thought out.

Suggested Improvements

For the luxury vehicle that this is I can't imagine improving on anything.