2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (30 reviews )
UPDATE: Still Happy After All These Years
By usedcarguyrtr on 02/28/13 00:44 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted to follow up on my ownership experience; My previous post was listed by "W." and posted on 4/26/10. After having purchased this car back in Oct. 2009, it still runs beautifully and has not left me stranded once. I have put almost 40,000 miles on the car (now @ 136.5k miles) since my last post, and I still love it! I use my car for courier work (lots of stop and go driving), and it never hesitates. I had an O2 sensor replaced, which ran about $300; other than this one repair and basic upkeep (tires, oil changes, brake pads, tune-up), this car has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. I recommend high-mileage rated synthetic oil to keep the engine at peak performance.

Cup Holder Problem Fixed
By halfandhalf on 05/23/12 16:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent car. To improve the lousy cup holders, go to a Sprinkler Irrigation Store and buy a plastic Green Atrium Grate for a 4" drain pipe (about $6). Get the green grate, not the black grate (better fit for cups) then spray paint it black. It fits perfectly in the existing cup holders. It even has a lip that secures it to the lid of the armrest. You will think it was made specifically for the 97 - 01 ES300. Now back to the rest of the car ... amazing ride, great freeway gas mileage, quiet, excellent standard sound system, comfortable, adequate power. Mine has low miles, 48,000, and I suspect it will be a typical Lexus and be trouble free as my prior Lexus purchases have been.

My 2nd Lexus ES 300
By Lex1Dallas on 07/27/10 17:50 PM (PDT)

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought the 2001 ES with very low mileage (55K) in near showroom condition. I was driving a 1994 ES that was a superb car, but I was ready for one a bit newer. This car is awesome. It's looks fool you into thinking it's ultra sedate and staid, but when pushed this car will surprise you in it's strength and agility. I bought it because I was already familiar with the quality of Lexus. I could have bought an even newer model, but I really liked the clean lines and angular body style of the '00 and '01 years more than the newer '02 to '06 models. It's a vehicle with understated elegance that performs remarkably well. I'm enjoying every moment driving it.

Awesome Used Car
By W. on 04/26/10 23:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my ES300 back in Oct. 2009 after reading over Edmunds and various other websites. I finally caved in and traded my old 1997 MB C230 (210k mi, saggy headliner, expensive to maintain) for a more reliable car. While looking for cars like newer Accords & Camrys, I lucked up and this appeared locally on a car lot. For an older car, the ES300 feels right at home and better equipped compared to a newer Accord or Camry. I compromised and bought it with 98k miles (kinda high mi), and Had to recently service it for new belts & water pump at 105k miles. My mechanic stated "it's basically an expensive Toyota," which is exactly what I wanted: Everything works well, and it starts every time.

New Used Lexus Owner
By Ed McDougal on 03/31/10 22:44 PM (PDT)

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Compared to my Nissan and 2001 Camry I feel it is a 20 to 30 % better built vehicle.

A Car Built Correctly
By w, clay on 11/20/09 08:04 AM (PST)

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in June of 2002 it had 26K miles on it. Today in Nov of 2009 it now has 189235 miles. I have only had two repairs the trans and the idle control sensor. The ride is extremely smooth and road noise is low. The sound system is great. I am amazed by the power when you want to get up and go the car responds great. It is a pleasure to drive with the sun roof open and the sound system cranked up. I will continue to buy Lexus products.

2001 ES - great ride
By InHisname on 06/04/09 18:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2001 with 13,000 miles on it. Someone traded it in to get a new car. I now have 148,000 and it shows no signs of slowing down. The oil is changed every 5000 miles and service is done as suggested. The car is a luxurious, reliable, smooth ride. It has all the features including moonroof. No real mechanical problems. The car handles beautifully. If I had one minor complaint it would be the turning radius. My wife's car seems to get better. That is almost not worth mentioning. I will buy another Lexus due to the quality and luxury ride they produce.

Can't Lose With The Lexus Brand
By Hayden4Lexus on 05/27/09 15:56 PM (PDT)

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

Needed a second car to drive once, maybe twice a week as wife & I carpool - this vehicle was first choice as I am repeat Lexus owner. Ride and handling are excellent and xenon lighting is awesome. Perfect compliment to our 2004 Lexus GX470. If you are reading these reviews notice the average consumer rating for this vehicle and believe me you'll feel the same if you're reasonable in your expectations (not wanting a rocket ship BMW that keeps you at the dealer and drains your wallet - remember the speed limit remains the same even though the engines are faster). You'll be pleased with this vehicle.

My First Lexus
By Steve Parker on 04/08/09 19:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used (56000 miles) because I thought it to be stunningly beautiful. I still have it because it is completely reliable, economical (especially on trips) and very inexpensive to maintain. I drive my wife and myself to college football games 300 miles away and cover the ground from the coast of Virginia to the mountains with no effort at all. This car is totally comfortable, quiet and unstressed. The sound system is excellent and we always arrive at our destination relaxed. It starts and goes effortlessly, every time. It does like 93 octane BP gas, which it gets exclusively as well as synthetic blend oil, which is changed every 5000 miles. The cabin filter is a big help.

Best Car Ever Owned
By Ted on 12/04/07 19:37 PM (PST)

2001 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Lexus ES new in 2001. It is now 6.5 years old and has 79,000 miles. I just replaced the battery for the first time, and other than that, I have done oil, air filters, and one set of tires. This car is the most reliable thing. We paid the ES off 2 years ago and are going to keep it as a second car. We will be purchasing a new 2008 ES 350 and hope it is just as reliable as this one has been. Also nice to know is that the resale value is still approx $13K, after 7 years! We are sold on Lexus!