1999 Lexus ES 300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (32 reviews )
Best car I ever owned
By John H on 05/04/09 11:10 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

This car cannot be beat! Has 148,000 miles without one mechanical problem. Did not have to replace fw brakes for 120,000 miles, like wise front struts--rw brakes and struts still good. I took a test drive in a 08 ES350, but decided there was no good reason to trade.

1999 Lexus ES 300
By Don Sherman on 04/04/09 12:56 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Car is in excellent condition save a slight mar on the driver's seat and a few parking lot dings. Everything works as new except for one digit on the LCD multi-CD disply. Excellent handling. Amenities are numerous and dependability is excellent. Quality control is evident throughout. Good acceleration and stopping. Great car for being a decade old.

One of the Best Cars I've Ever Owned
By LCD44 on 03/14/09 23:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I've driven nothing but Toyota products for over 30 years; and to me, the ES300 is one of the very best cars ever built. The only thing better than an old Toyota is a new Toyota... so ten months ago, we traded in our old Camry for a Lexus RX 400h, and 10 years from now, I am likely to be here praising it also.

Great, reliable car.
By JB So Org Cty on 02/10/09 13:09 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

This is a great car with a nice ride. And the power is surprising for a V6. Very reliable and the highway mileage is great. In town mileage is good for a sedan. It has a smooth ride and is quiet running with just a little wind noise from the window at times. Large trunk space. Leather seats are nice and durable.

Reliability Rating?
By Esdrvr on 11/21/08 01:59 AM (PST)

1999 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Disappointing reliability. I had to replace the transmission (failed solenoid pump) at 150k mi. You have the option of "rebuilding" or "replacing". Lexus wanted $3400 for this, I rebuilt it for a hefty $2600. The "new" 99 tranny is twice as expensive to fix as a 99 Camry due computer chips in the transmission. All 4 struts needed replacing at 150k mi as well. The "check engine" light has proven quite annoying as it appears a few times/yr due to a fuel system anomaly. This automatically disables the Traction control system and a dummy light appears for it as well. 21-23 mpg as I would guess this is standard for a 3 ltr V6. Poor turn radius. Disappointing reliability overall.

8 yrs old and still WOW
By Kemah Coder on 06/16/07 08:37 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

To get out of debt, I sold my 2003 Pontiac Vibe GT and then used the proceeds from the sale to buy my 1999 Lexus ES 300. 202,000 miles and 8 years and old and it's better than any other used car I looked at. Nothing can touch this car in terms of comfort and reliability. I have been told by three shops now this car is just the Toyota Camry with a lexus name and a little more interior comfort. I agree and am thankful I bought this car for $5800 cash.

I will buy another
By Kevin on 10/05/05 11:58 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

This car may not be the sportiest or fastest sedan to drive, but comfort and reliability are excellent. I can't wait to buy my next one but since this just keeps running with no problems, it may be awhile.

Real nice car
By Steve Gaylor on 06/17/05 14:18 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

My 1999 Lexus ES 300 is a real nice ride that has given me no problems in six years. It's very comfortable to drive, performes well, has a great sound system, and is still like brand new after six years. It has 46,500 miles on it, and I have only just now had to replace one tail light and one front blinker light. The original battery lasted 5 years, as did the wiper blades. The car has traveled around the country some, and has performed flawlessly, it's very dependable and enjoyable to drive. I'd like to trade up, but find it hard to part with such an exceptional car. I highly recommend the 99 Lexus ES 300 for. I see the car remaining in the family for many years to come, it's barely

Lexus ES 300, 1999, UAE
By N'Shaan on 01/15/05 12:58 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Poor front and rear struts, wind noise in average to high speeds, doors and boot lid feels and sounds very flimsy.

Will not buy another Lexus
By MaxK on 05/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I had to replace the front strut mounts at 50,000 miles. The lexus service advisor told me it is common to have this problem. I still can't believe it. Paint chips off very easily (2004 ES330 has the same problem), lot of wind noise at high speeds.