1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (32 reviews )
Better than any malibu
By jdm699 on 04/23/14 08:22 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

After my head gasket blew on my malibu, and I was broke as a joke I had to buy a reilable to and from work car. With $600.00 I was super suprized I found this Lexus. It is decently fast at the drag strip runs in the low 12's. Better build quality then any Ford, Mercury, Chevy, GMC or Honda! Thinking about giving this car to my sun but it is to fast. I believe it will keep up with any Turbo Honda on the road.

Great Car
By jblynn on 08/26/11 12:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

12 yo, 142K. New noc & MAF sensors in 11th year @ about $1K. Alternator died at 52K mi, just out of warranty. W-pump died at abt 100K. Other than that, routine maint. White pearlcoat looks as good as it did in '99; few very small dings on hood - touch-up paint works. Beautiful car & design, IMO. Very difficult to develop a scratch on exterior. Leather wearing very well. Wood appliques on dash aged a bit due to moisture/cleaning. Interior dash 'boring'; roomy in front; headroom bad in rear for 6 ftrs. Cup hldrs useless. Nakamichi superior. Good perf.; gas mileage 21/28. We all have good days and bad. No day is completely bad if I get to drive this car at the end of it. Great buy.

The oldies are goodies
By hawaiitom on 06/02/10 19:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

We've had this car for over ten years and use it as our second car for my wife to drive once or twice a week. I'd buy a new es-300 in a minute, except the newer ones are an inch too long and have poor rear-quarter vision. Lexus is due out with a redesign of the es-300 in 2012. Hopefully, it'll be better than the current model -- none of the redesigns look as good as our 1999. If you can find one, get it. Edmunds says dealer retail is under 6k -- good luck finding one so cheap!

Dull car
By Ken Collins on 04/23/10 01:03 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

The car's electrical a continual problem. Lexus dealership and other mechanics cannot extinguish VSC, check engine, and flashing seat belt lights. Drivers seating for shorter person, at six feet dtall my legs are cramped. Hit head at times when entering drivers side. Semi-quiet, seats are comfortable. Styling is cookie cutter blah. Does not feel like an upscale car. Would not buy another one.

they don't make 'em like this anymore
By hawaiijoe on 02/14/10 22:25 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought it used form a lady who only put 4000 miles on it in 10 months. (guess why she was selling it.) cons: only a four-speed auto -- old school. lexus stereo is average. cup holders are junk -- they don't keep your cup or bottle from tipping. pros: everything else. quiet, ride, reliability, fit and finish, room in the cockpit up front. A snap to wash because it's low and doesn't have the slab sides the newer models do. I only have 75,000 miles on it now, but I'll trade it in for a new 350 -- as soon as Lexus makes one I like better than this one. I don't like the 2010, and I sure didn't like the body style before that. I'll keep my '99, thank you very much.

1999 Lexus ES 300 4 Dr Std Sedan
By Steve on 01/26/10 13:11 PM (PST)

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car used about a year ago because I had great luck with my 1994 Toyota Camry, 350,000 Miles before the engine quit. Unfortunately the engine is not even close to reliable as the Camry. I have spent over $2500 on repairs. Oxgen Sensors, 1 Coil, 1 Mass Air Flow Sensor, 2 VVT Actuators,2 Knock Sensors, Cam Seals. I consider myself a good mechanic and was not as concerned when I purchased the car. Edmunds dead correct when they say this engine is a problem and the parts are very costly. I read that Coils, VVT Actuators, MAF, including the transmisson are an issue and should have listened. Also the LCD displays go out. If you must go to the dealer it is $200.00 diagnostic and $$

Transmission problem with 1999 ES300
By spcinca on 12/12/09 09:02 AM (PST)

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

My 1999 ES 300 has 67000 miles on it and I am told I need a new transmission and knock sensors. ABS off and check engine light pop on. It sporadically will not downshift at higher speed. At 60mph rpm's will be close to 4000. I have done trans fluid exchanges, replaced valves, seals and air intake hoses. Lexus says they will not cover any repair because it falls out of their warranty. Every mechanic that has looked at it claims it is ridiculous for me to need a new trans with this low of miles and the great condition the car is in.

Good car, but recently getting worse
By NS on 09/13/09 22:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I owned this car since 2001. From 2001-2008: was really happy with the car. Reliable, quiet interior. Comfy seats, good pickup. In 2009: my ES-300 started giving all kinds of problems. Power steering pump leaked-replaced it, O2 sensors went bad-replaced it, alternator died - replaced it. Check engine lights are on almost every month. Follow the routine-go to dealer, they do the diagnostics, find the issue, replace the part, pay those hefty repair charges, and next month repeat the same thing. Just yesterday, heard that it's giving heavy knocking sound from engine. Within past 12 months, the repair cost has gone through the roof to almost $6000. Now I am seriously thinking about replacing the car.

Get Something Else
By Al on 06/29/09 19:02 PM (PDT)

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have owned many different cars and heard nothing but wonderful things about this model. The truth is, the Oldsmobile Aurora and Lincoln Continental both outmatched the Lexus hands down in both creature features and driveability. The Lexus has been a major disappointment and I will never own another one. Buy the Toyota Camry and save some money... or better yet buy an Avalon and get more room. Also, for what it's worth the check engine light has been on more than off for the last 50k miles. This car has annoying (expensive) problems with its emissions/fuel vent system design that I've never had with any other car owned.

Overall very good, but not perfect
By DCAir on 06/17/09 10:20 AM (PDT)

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and have taken care of it ever since. All complaints have been fixed or I'm able to live with for a 10 year old car. Still looks excellent and drives very well.