Used 1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (32 reviews )

Better than any malibu
By jdm699

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

After my head gasket blew on my malibu, and I was broke as a joke I had to buy a reilable to and from work car. With $600.00 I was super suprized I found this Lexus. It is decently fast at the drag strip runs in the low 12's. Better build quality then any Ford, Mercury, Chevy, GMC or Honda! Thinking about giving this car to my sun but it is to fast. I believe it will keep up with any Turbo Honda on the road.

Sunroof

Wide tires for the strip.

Great Car
By jblynn

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

12 yo, 142K. New noc & MAF sensors in 11th year @ about $1K. Alternator died at 52K mi, just out of warranty. W-pump died at abt 100K. Other than that, routine maint. White pearlcoat looks as good as it did in '99; few very small dings on hood - touch-up paint works. Beautiful car & design, IMO. Very difficult to develop a scratch on exterior. Leather wearing very well. Wood appliques on dash aged a bit due to moisture/cleaning. Interior dash 'boring'; roomy in front; headroom bad in rear for 6 ftrs. Cup hldrs useless. Nakamichi superior. Good perf.; gas mileage 21/28. We all have good days and bad. No day is completely bad if I get to drive this car at the end of it. Great buy.

Exterior styling, reliability, fit & finish, economy, Nakamichi sound. Smooth, quite ride.

Cup holders. Sensors/electrical have been a bit problematic, but not terribly bad,

The oldies are goodies
By hawaiitom

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

We've had this car for over ten years and use it as our second car for my wife to drive once or twice a week. I'd buy a new es-300 in a minute, except the newer ones are an inch too long and have poor rear-quarter vision. Lexus is due out with a redesign of the es-300 in 2012. Hopefully, it'll be better than the current model -- none of the redesigns look as good as our 1999. If you can find one, get it. Edmunds says dealer retail is under 6k -- good luck finding one so cheap!

style, comfort, style

lousy cup holders -- the support is too low -- even a Coke can will tip over in a turn.

Dull car
By Ken Collins

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

The car's electrical a continual problem. Lexus dealership and other mechanics cannot extinguish VSC, check engine, and flashing seat belt lights. Drivers seating for shorter person, at six feet dtall my legs are cramped. Hit head at times when entering drivers side. Semi-quiet, seats are comfortable. Styling is cookie cutter blah. Does not feel like an upscale car. Would not buy another one.

Good acceleration in tight situations. Semi-tight handling.

More distintive styling. Looks like every other car on the road. More head and leg space for a six foot person.

they don't make 'em like this anymore
By hawaiijoe

1999 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought it used form a lady who only put 4000 miles on it in 10 months. (guess why she was selling it.) cons: only a four-speed auto -- old school. lexus stereo is average. cup holders are junk -- they don't keep your cup or bottle from tipping. pros: everything else. quiet, ride, reliability, fit and finish, room in the cockpit up front. A snap to wash because it's low and doesn't have the slab sides the newer models do. I only have 75,000 miles on it now, but I'll trade it in for a new 350 -- as soon as Lexus makes one I like better than this one. I don't like the 2010, and I sure didn't like the body style before that. I'll keep my '99, thank you very much.

see above

cup holders were clearly an afterthought