Used 1998 Lexus ES 300 Base Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Lexus ES 300 - Consumer Reviews

1998 Lexus ES 300

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (47 reviews )

Lexus is the best
By Travis

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Lexus runs for ever all have to do is just the basic maintenance mines have over 297 k on it and still running fine drive it everyday

1998 Lexus still on the move!
By Chelle

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used about 2 1/2 yrs ago with 210,000 miles on it. I was not deterred with the mileage at that point, because I knew it would last about 3 yrs and I was completely fine with that and the price point at $1500 asking $2,300 (but it needed a few minor repairs, so price was lowered).

I've been driving this car about 20k miles a year and I have had no problems with the car itself. It has been the best car I've ever owned and with significantly less miles. The car is so quite and runs like a champ. I could drive it another 2 yrs. at least before setting aside for a newer car and I will still keep it as a back-up car, it's too good of a car to sell.

If people are having mechanical issues with the car, it's probably a lack of maintenance on the car. I was guilty of that on my old car (Altima).

I drove this car on long trips several times, which I was a little worried that something might happen but nothing at least 300 miles + road trips one way.

I replace the oil every 3000k miles, burns zero oil and if the oil was low it was 1/4 of a quart low, but I found that to be the quality of oil not the car. I used to use Valvoline oil but recently started going the Toyota dealership and using Mobil 1 5000 (5000 mileage) and I had clean oil and it was full.

I would highly recommend this car to anyone looking for a $2000 car and even it you put $500 in the car for minor repairs it will pay for itself over and over.

My repair shop said they would buy the car if I did not want it when I had it inspected to purchase :)

A true value for 18 years !!!
By A C Navarro

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

This 1998 series that I bought in May 1998 is the best model for that year based on research through Consumer Reports. With the exception of two minor electrical parts; i took over 6 years before the first brake job. I still have the original spark plug wires and ignition coils. No major engine trouble or repairs.
So far, I have 329,000 miles in it and just recently replaced the original 4 shocks absorbers. The best car I ever owned based on repair maintenance cost, comfort, safety, handling and performance. Barring any major engine mishap, I expect this vehicle to last another 3-4 years............

Great car, there are a lot of these on the road!
By Greg

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

You see these cars all over as they have great motors, very reliable and comfortable as well. Never had a problem that left me stranded and never hesitated to take it on a long trip even with lots of miles on it. Highly recommend this style vehicle. Rides smoother that most cars I have ever owned.

Best Car I Ever Had! Never Selling!
By Rafee Ahmed

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I've owned this car for 12 and have never had any problems. Just had a regular oil change and a battery died on me once (completely natural). The sleek design of this model is so much better than the "sportier" design newer one. Sound system sounds great and I like how you can easily adjust the sound settings. Seats are extremely comfortable. Traveled to chicago and new york from virginia with no problem. Trunk is also big enough for all of my junk. There's no way I'll ever part with this car. I'm keeping it for the rest of it's life. Only wish that this had better cup holders. I've noticed thats a common complaint with this generation. One other extremely minor annoyance is that no matter what I try to to do, the check engine sign won't go away. Although there hasn't been any problems with the engine so far. And this is the car I use for everything.