1998 Lexus ES 300 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Lexus Es-300 - Consumer Reviews

1998 ES 300 Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (42 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

I Am A Believer! Loving My ES !!!
By cashmere1

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

My v6 Honda Accord Coupe got totaled and I worshipped at Honda's feet until I met my Lexus ES 300. After only a few days I see why people invest in the Lexus Brand. It is smooth as silk and I hate to even stop and get out of it because it is so much fun to drive. I love its responsiveness which I need getting in and out of city traffic. We are going to have a great time together.

Favorite Features

Smooth acceleration Comfortable Seats Quiet Engine

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders should be more sturdy in a vehicle of this high quality. Other than that she is smooth perfection.

Takes a licking and keeps ticking
By John

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Very are money nice and reliable car other the oil changes, replace brake calipers at 180K. Hit two deer in six months rebuilt just like new, mine has every option available, and everything works just fine, will drive it till the wheels fall off, i figure about 500k miles or more, Mercedes E class move over there's a new kid in town.

Favorite Features

stereo, cd changer, auto head lights, reliability, has lots of power, and good gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

none. the the car is perfect. Don't change a thing

OMG
By karyn

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I have 143,000 miles on this car, keep all maintenance appointments, and treat myself to deluxe detailing at the same time. I will keep this car for many years. I still can't come up with a good reason to buy a new one. I still get compliments because people think it's a newer model. Comfort and reliability. I'd only improve upon the cup holders as a previous reviewer stated. I am a very content 1998 Lexus owner.

Favorite Features

Comfort and reliability. It has great pick-up when needed. I would suggest that all owners keep maintenance appts and get the deluxe detailing at the same time.

Suggested Improvements

Those cup holders are terrible,

Great Car for old people and accountants
By loco

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Great reliable car, decent fuel economy, very comfortable but not too fast. Overall if you need a car for everyday that you know would not let you down you should buy it.

Suggested Improvements

miles per gallons

Probably the Most Reliable Ever Built!
By Sim

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Drove confidently from NV to IL with just under 199K purring like a kitten (and still purrs). Had to replace front struts and control arms, that's about it. Went through over 3 dozen new and used cars (BMW, Acura, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, GM, Dodge, Mazda, VW, Saab), but none, NONE like the ES300. This is car is ultra reliable and it can probably go for another 100K. This is really why many are loyal to the Toyota/Lexus brand. It's hard to beat it's quality and reliability combination. The engine will most often outlast the body and suspension. If there is a need for used car, this is the best one to get.

Favorite Features

Engine is still smooth and sound. Granted it's a more refined engine, but being a '98 and 200K, it's quieter than my '07 V6 RAV4. Paint still glossy after 10 years. Parts are always available, if needed. No wonder these cars have great resale value.

Black on black beauty!
By Kwam

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Great car. It runs very smooth and has useful features like traction control, heated seats and memory seats. I also like the adjustable suspension. In sport mode it can almost hang with a beemer.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, memory seats, smooth and quiet ride, adjustable suspension, responsive engine. The fact that it uses regular gas.

Suggested Improvements

Inside light should come on when you open the car. It should have a telescoping wheel,more responsive steering and the memory seat controls should be in a better location.

Dark of night sale/surprise
By Sandra Hartnell

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at night on the fly after an auto acc. so didn't have it checked out. The radio LED didn't work nor did the lighter/chargers-annoying. The mpg however is 24 consistently and I've gotten up to 28 after servicing across the state. When you have to step on it it REALLY kicks into high gear with a pleasant rush for this resistant to aging gal. I'd buy this car again and will probably keep it a long time. Not crazy that it looks almost exactly like a Camry but the plus is the parts are interchangeable.

Suggested Improvements

The heated seats barely feel warm and I've heard from other owners that the radio LED going out is common. Don't why a 94 Maxima can have heated mirrors but this Lexus doesn't.

Moving on up
By metfan

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Have been a Toyota loyalist for the last 15 years until I purchased my first Lexus about 3 years ago. I bout a 7 year old ES 300 with 100K miles on it. I have put about 50K on it since then and the car has been flawless. I change the oil about every 5K, and that is all that I have needed to do. Yea, I have the CD display problems that everyone else has, but other than that, the car is great! I get a realistic 25 mpg, and can hardly hear the car purring, even when completely stopped. I seriously do not believe they can make a car run any better than this one! I'll drive this baby for another 5 years.

Favorite Features

Reliability. Multi-adjustable comfortable leather seats. Large trunk room. Ample rear seat room.

Suggested Improvements

None. This is the perfect car.

I now understand the meaning of quality!
By Rick in Lyndhurst

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car about a year ago with 180,000 miles on it. Since then I have put about 15k on it with absolutely no problems. I have had Toyotas exclusively in the past, and have loved them. I figured I would give this 9 year old a shot since it was priced at only $3500.00 and I needed something different. I could not be more pleased. It rides like a dream and I get surprisingly 25+ mpg on regular gas. Only problem was when I took it to the NJ state inspection. They said I had an "exhaust leak". I must have been the designated "quota failure" that day, because I drove it back to the same station in the afternoon and passed with flying colors. 2 words... GREAT CAR!!

Favorite Features

Audio system is fantastic (display is gone, but once you pre-set, who cares anyway. Quiet ride, nice handling, comfortable seats, lots of trunk room. Heat is great in the winter and A/C is ice cold in the summer

Great car with amazing reliability!
By seattlegirl

1998 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for a little over a year now and am still loving it. The car had 68k miles on it when I bought it and now has 80k and runs as if it was new. The only maintenance it has needed was a new tail light bulb (the car told me it was out or else I never would have known). It's so comfy both to drive and ride in and fun to drive. I wouldn't call it sporty, but I love the comfy ride the responsive steering. considering it is a luxury car, the es300 gets great mileage. It doesn't take premium and I can get up to 26 mpg driving lots of highway. Very quiet, lots of handy features. There's even an extra outlet plugin for an iPod in the console. The styling is classic, people love it!

Favorite Features

Auto driver and passengers seat adjuster, leather, wood accents, steering, center console is so handy!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders! I had a mocha fly out of one while making a sharp turn. Floormats still have mocha stains on them! Telescopic steering wheel would be a nice touch. Also I wish the keyless entry clicker was integrated with the key like on newer models.