1997 Lexus ES 300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (45 reviews )
Excellent Car
By HR6895 on 10/09/06 17:44 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Bought at 62K, drove 8K since then. Runs solid, comfortable, reliable.

Great Car but ... the Paint!
By Lexus for Life on 06/06/06 11:19 AM (PDT)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car in 2004 with 64K. Replaced timing belts, perform regular oil change and it's been a worry free car ever since. Nice, reliable, smooth, quiet, tranquil rides. We had great luck with previous ES 300 (96) so it's natural to get another Lexus. Love the center console for storage & arm rest. The only complaint ... the PAINT, It's a joke! Paint around the contour on both mirrors peels off slowly.

Overall good car
By Lexus Es 300 on 05/15/06 09:26 AM (PDT)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Purchased this car in 2002. It had 59000 mi. on it. Now the odometer shows 98000. No major problems, except with the radio system. The LCD screen is unreadable. It is very annoying. The dealer won't admit that this is a recall. Also had to replace a gasket seal due to a leak. Regular oil change and the car is fine!

A family luxury car for the money
By Nandu on 12/27/05 13:04 PM (PST)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I bought my lexus in 2001 and now it is over 100000 miles. It's an awesome family friendly car with basic luxuries like power seats, 6 cd changer, premium sound, no noise driving. Great suspension and brake system. It's a reliable car offering great driving control.

Runs like new at 120K
By Scott on 12/21/05 01:24 AM (PST)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I bought the 97 lexus ES 300 with 120,000 miles on it. I was a little afraid of buying a car with so many miles, but after driving it for a week, I couldn't be happier. Its hard to believe, but the car runs like new. Previous owner garaged it. Today a guy actually asked me if it is a brand new car! It runs extremely smooth. I just came back from a 800 mile trip and it averaged 28.4 miles/gal.

Reliable Luxury
By V Gianotti on 08/29/05 17:49 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

An older albeit slightly outdated style but comfortable and reliable. Plenty of room for an average person but may be a bit cramped for a larger adult. Seats are comfortable and firm and the vehicle is solid and sound. Road noise is non-existant and the stereo is excellent. Overall an excellent vehicle for anyone who wants luxury and reliability without paying top dollar for a newer car.

Simply said...a nice ride.
By Lmoore on 08/12/05 05:18 AM (PDT)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I love this car. Since my purchase I have never had one problem. My Mom states the car drives better than her Caddy. At 8 years of age, this car performs as if I just drove it off the lot. The comfort, quite, smooth ride always making running errands a joy. On my next purchase, which I don't plan on for a few years...this baby will last another 100k easy...will without question be another Lexus! One more important point, the dealership was fantastic. No pressure sales, gave me my time and space. Was a pleasure to do business with them.

Fantastic Car
By David Peecook on 12/31/04 18:43 PM (PST)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I bought my ES300 in 2000 as a "Certified" Lexus with 45,000 miles on it. I just passed 200,000 miles and the car still run as it did when I first got it! I have diligently followed the maintenance schedule and have only had a few surprises - never a break down. This has been the best car that I have ever owned.

Safety And Beauty
By bcolby on 08/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

We have had our 97 ES300 for about a year and it has been the best car we have ever had. Loaded to the gills and showroom-like condition, until recently. My wife and 14-month old son were in an accident where another driver turned in front of my wife. Travelling at 55mph both vehicles were totalled. My wife and son came away with only minor scratches and aches. If they were in any other vehicle I feel the results may have been different. It was a beautiful car, but they make more everyday. There is no question we will get another.

Why I don't buy 'American' or 'German'
By erpgupta on 06/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

This is by far the best car I have ever owned. 7 years of hard driving and not 1 single problem. Unlike my BMW 330i, $3,000 in out of pocket expenses that the dealer says are 'normal'. Or the Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition that my wife used to drive. In the first year it was back to the dealer 32x. I have owned all of the German brands along with a few Swedes and Americans thrown in along the way. Let's just say that after owning this Lexus and my wife's new Acura, we would never sink another dollar into any car unless it's Japanese.