1997 Lexus ES 300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (46 reviews )
Perfect... Even after the Crash
By Okus1984 on 06/05/09 14:36 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

The car was orig. bought at 115k in 04' by a relative. She totaled it out this winter. I bought it from her, and put work into it myself. The car looks brand new now. (only cost me $550 in parts) Even after the crash this car drives like new! It's fast enough to get up and go. The gas mileage is great! It's comfortable to drive. It's been on numerous 8 hour road trips. I love Lexus. I have owned a Sc400, Ls400, 96 ES, and I have a RX300. I love Lexus! No wonder they are the TOP Luxury Car company in America! BTW nite and day difference from the 96' and below ES.

Great used vehicle, love it!
By Research Nut on 03/26/09 22:04 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Bought this 2yrs ago with 160k from a private party after getting it checked out at a Lexus dealership. Outside of the usual, I HAVE NOT SPENT A PENNY! Not one thing has gone wrong or needed to be fixed. It is just a wonderful car, and I'm glad all of my research (much of which I did here at Edmunds.com) in finding it paid off. After owning this car, I just cannot understand why people would ever pay more money that I paid here for another inferior, less-reliable used car (like anything from Detroit)...

Simply love it
By BlueKarma on 07/07/08 11:11 AM (PDT)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I love my '97 Lexus. It's an older car but you wouldn't know it. It drives great and I'm very happy with it.

Just a GREAT car !
By rtk on 03/17/08 13:15 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Bought the Lexus in Florida and drove it home to Idaho. Perfect drive. Not a hiccup of any kind. Talk about quiet and smooth. Nice stereo, too. Mileage has always been 25-29 mpg. I've driven it 10,000 miles already and loved every mile. The paint is still flawless and the interior looks new. Just great quality materials in this beauty. It's a better car than my last 2 Cadillacs.

Reliable/Comfortable
By gtooker on 01/30/08 21:53 PM (PST)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Bought 2 years ago with 35k miles. Now has about 50k miles w/o any problems. Ride is smooth, although not spirited. Excellent fit, finish and features for 1997.

Lexus Family
By Lexus Cruiser on 04/21/07 20:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Bought this ES 300 about 7 months ago and it has been problem free. It's comfortable, quiet, smooth, powerful and gets decent mpg. I have the suspension control and heated seats. Have the factory chrome rims with white pearl paint, people think its a very expensive and classy car. We really like this car and would recommend to anyone.

The Best Used Car!!
By Lexus LOVER on 01/15/07 20:29 PM (PST)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 197,000 miles on it. My odometer shows 210,000. I do a lot of traveling to neighboring states. Let me tell you that this car is close to perfection. It drives like as if it just left the showroom. Lexus ES 300 from 97-01 are very reliable cars. They will never breakdown. If you want a used car that would run "FOREVER" and I literally mean it, buy this car.

A great car!
By RazorWinger on 01/13/07 20:32 PM (PST)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 58,000 miles on it; no problems except wear & tear. It started using oil for a while and I expected the worst - an engine re-build. But after an independent technician replaced the PCV valve ($10!), the oil usage stopped. I sure hope my next Lexus has better cup-holders; they're far too shallow. The key to the Lex is keep it maintained and no telling how many miles they'll run. A great value.

Best Car I've Owned
By BRock on 12/18/06 09:35 AM (PST)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

I bought this car wholesale for a real nice price. It had 107K and needed no work. I've been driving it every day since and only have had to replace the starter which I could have probably avoided had I done something about the warning signs earlier. I also replaced the o2 sensor. Other than that gas oil and drive. I think it has at least another 100,000 in it.

1997 300E - Good Car
By V312155 on 12/09/06 08:00 AM (PST)

1997 Lexus ES 300 4dr Sedan

Excellent car. Always quiet. I havedriven over 180,000 city miles. I did have a "smoking" condition around 90000 miles due to a faulty valve problem. Lexus paid the repair (100%), even though it was out of warrantry. This valve problem affected many of their cars with my engine (standard 300e).