Used 1997 Lexus ES 300 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Lexus Es-300 - Consumer Reviews

1997 Lexus ES 300 Sedan

Base 3.0L V6 4-speed Automatic - (47 reviews )

the best luxury car you'll find ever
By iantyler112

1997 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

it will take u places with no props it's powerful u can feel it and enjoy life and go places have fun with class with comfort

Favorite Features

heated seats the temp can be set the way u want it with air conditioning fast

Suggested Improvements

nothing really as things get old they wear out but on this car it just runs perfectly

Pretty Good
By superflykhaeyo

1997 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I prefer sports cars, but this vehicle was comfortable great styling (for a 1997), drove smooth for a 4 speed,great acceleration, handled well i was short-stopped at about 15mph and tapped a minivan and not a scratch on the sienna or my ES, my car later spun out on a flooded highway ramp at -20mph NO BODY DAMAGE but the rear wheel was bent to a 70degree angle. but this thing is a TANK

Favorite Features

SPACE HANDLING Acceleration comfort styling

Suggested Improvements

TCS system better handling in bad weather

win win
By rghouse

1997 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have yet to be disappointed with a vehicle made by Toyota and this car is no exception. Purchased with 150K 4 years ago from original owner, now has 197K. The only thing to go wrong since purchase is the driver door out side handle became non-functional after the clip inside the door broke. It was $1.75, but I had to take the door apart to fix it. I use synthetic oil (previous owners used synthetic also) every 10k miles and the oil is still golden brown after one years worth of driving. My only complaint is when the family goes on a trip the rear sags and sometimes the tires scrape (they are slightly oversized vs stock b/c of BBS rims). Awesome stock stereo,very comfortable n dependable

Favorite Features

stereo, acceleration, dependability, comfort

Suggested Improvements

rear suspension beefed up

Best Car Ever!
By packagemaster

1997 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought a '97 in spring of 06, with 150k miles already on it. I travel 110 miles per day, and I wanted a reliable comfortable, but cheap ride. Because of the miles, I got mine cheap. Fast forward, 2011. Now the car has 330k miles, and let me tell you, this car has been rock solid. This is list of everything I did for the car. (from my log book) 1 set of tires. 2 batteries. 8 sets of wiper blades. Oil change every 6-8k miles. (that's right) 4 air filters. 2 windshields. (rocks fly in Interstate) Front and rear Struts. 2 sets of brake pads for front, 1 set in back, 1 set of front rotors. 6 Headlight bulbs.. I'm looking forward to the next 180k miles. I know this car will make it.

Favorite Features

At 330k miles, everything in car works... heated seats, CD changer... about the only thing that went bad is the radio lights started to die one by one. RELIABILITY, COMFORT, decent gas mileage (I get 30 MPH, 80% highway)... Same timing belt for at least 180k miles, same transmission fluid... I know I might be pushing it, but it keeps on going! I've read up on reports on newer cars, and looks like the newer isn't necessarily better. When (more like 'if') this Lexus dies, I will be buying 2001 model (same body style... newer ones are crap) I can go drop 40k+ on a new one. But why? I only paid 5400$ for this one, 5 years ago. That's slightly more than the taxes you pay on a new one.

Suggested Improvements

I love the quality materials they used on this, soft to the eye, soft to the touch, but got just enough power when need it. It rides soft, quiet, etc etc.. perfect vehicle for HWY traveling. I only wish Lexus/Toyota (and Acura/Honda) didn't have to cut corners on new cars... the new cars don't measure up to the late 90's quality.

Love my Lexy
By Love my Lexy

1997 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my ES300 about 4 years ago with 92k. I have not had to do anything more than the usual upkeep and I now have over 275k. Yes, she is getting tired but her ride and style does not compare to any other car on the road. Even the newer style ES300 is smaller and not as comfortable as this one. I previously had the 95 ES 300 with 268k when it was totaled in 2006.

Favorite Features

I love the ride and comfort. Great pick up.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are the worst.