Used 1992 Lexus ES 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Lexus Es-300 - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.0L V6 5-speed Manual - (20 reviews )

Great first car
By Nicholas

1992 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

For my first car I got a 1992 Lexus ES300 for only $1,400. It has about 240,300 miles on it but it still drives good most the time. The only things I don't like about it is it's awful MPG. It's supposed to get 19 but I am only getting 14! The other thing I don't like is there is no cup holder, or at least I haven't found it yet. I have only had one problem with it so far and that is the cruise control doesn't work most the time. Overall it's a great car, out of all the cars I've driven (friends & family) I like how mine drives the best. I plan to keep driving my Lexus until I graduate high school than I will probably buy a Jeep but keep the Lexus and possibly fix it up.

Favorite Features

Rate of acceleration, easy and fun to drive, VERY comfortable (I love the heated seats)!

Suggested Improvements

Needs a cup holder, better MPG, and have the cruise control work.

210K Going Strong
By gheuer

1992 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

A little gem still performing flawlessly after all these years/miles. So solid we decided to re-upholster and re-paint, including new headlights and tail lights. Looks like a new car and still performs like one. This is a classic which I will maintain as an antique. Equipped with top end tires she handles like the European Sports Car she was designed to emulate. We are proud to drive up in this winner.

Favorite Features

Seat comfort, handling, reliability, performance, style and grace.

Suggested Improvements

Instrument clusters lamp life.

Great Used Car
By Yonze

1992 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought privately at 56,000 miles from a neighbour who had looked after it well from new and had it detailed every six months or so. Black with black leather. Given great service and performance ever since. Completely reliable, with regular oil changes. Brake fluid leaking a little, but stopped with sealant. Instrument lights weak but I can live with that. 28 MPG (USG) on longer trips. Replaced the radio antenna(my fault) twice for $50 each. My Legend cost me $150 for the same thing.

Favorite Features

Reliability, build quality, performance

Suggested Improvements

None I can think of

Lexus ES 300
By Bob - Lexus

1992 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This was was OK until it hit around 115k miles. I thought it would be good for 300K+, but everything from the power steering, to the water pump, thermostat, windows, doors,etc. went bad. I am not including maintenance stuff like batteries, brakes, tires, timing belts, muffler, etc. In a word the car was a longetivity dud.

Suggested Improvements

Make it more reliable- esp the power steering and overheating situation!!

perfect car
By kds2

1992 Lexus ES 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased this vehicle from a friends grandparents with only 60k for $6000. It was the best car that I have ever owned, that is until I was rearended at a stop light by a young girl talking on the phone. It held up well for a rear impact at roughly 60mph. All passengers walked away with only minor damage. The car was fixed, but never the same. I sold it shortly thereafter. SOLD for more than I paid! I sure do miss it. By far the best car for the best price. MPG left a little to be desired. Leather was impeccable. I am currently on the hunt for another Lexus, as my Grand Cherokee just isn't cutting the mustard. Till that time comes, she will be in my dreams.

Favorite Features

The powerful engine helps in Colorado, as does the front wheel drive. Doesnt require premium gas!!! Leather took a beating and kept on shining. Huge trunk. Reliable. Better styling than newer models. Nakamichi stereo was phenominal. Did well in higher speed wreck. Supportive seats for lower back

Suggested Improvements

Better MPG. Less wind noise at HWY speed. Tranny shifts hard until warmed up. still fantastic, despite these nitpicky suggestions. A little pricy for tune-ups, etc. but still cheaper than other luxury vehicles.