Used 2014 Lexus CT 200h Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 7 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Lexus CT 200h Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.8L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic - (7 reviews )

Attention Grabber
By John Sholty

2014 Lexus CT 200h Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Bought this car at end of 2014 inventory year and at True Car "Good Price" recommendation. This car is and F Sport Premium trim level but now, 6.5 months into 2016 Private party resale is a measly $24,000.00. That is almost $23,000 off our purchase price. NOT HAPPY!! Aside from that, this car is a great city car and very good road trip car. Turning radius is so good that I can almost turn around on a two lane road. Lots of room in the garage too. Acceleration is poor but adequate and we have averaged almost 43 mpg over our 27,000 miles. Not bad. Cargo space even with the back seats folded flat is not adequate for road trips but we managed two trips to Florida jammed tightly with two Shi Tzus and luggage in spite of that. Difficult. Car gets lots of compliments, most often from some kid on a skate board but just the same. I can almost wash the entire roof from one side because the car is so low but it gets lost easily in the parking lot because it can hide behind something as small as a Volkswagen Rabbit. We have learned to make sure to remember what row it is parked in. Except for anticipating taking a beating when selling or trading, we give the car a "B" mostly for good looks and economy.

All a Matter of Perspective
By Anthony M.

2014 Lexus CT 200h Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

When car shopping there are 2 cars in a persons mind: The ideal car that appeals to their emotion while tugging heart strings, and the car that's the logical, practical choice. This car falls into the latter category, which is no bad thing. Compared to the MB CLA, BMW 320i, and Audi A3, the CT is hardly a standout. But rest assured it'll far outlast any of those 3 in reliability and with lower maintenance costs to boot. Its interior is well laid out, and it possesses the greatest front seats in the business. The media system is simple to use (an easy thing to mess up in a car these days) and the premium audio system is pretty good for a non-branded setup. The Bluetooth streaming is very high quality too, while the interior materials are good for the category, with soft touch stuff where it counts. Its ride (I have the F-Sport with the firmer suspension) is a little harsh but never brittle. It's a controlled tightness that allows bumps into the cabin but takes the edge off each time. As an added plus, the CT can be had for thousands below sticker due to its lower demand, a benefit often overlooked in car reviews.

If there's one big drawback to the car, it's the speed, or lack there-of. This is a slow car, no two ways about it, and it doesn't want to be rushed. Thankfully, the engine is well isolated so you won't feel like you're in an economy car when entering the freeway. Luckily speed is the CT's only dynamic downfall. In the hills this little hatch can hold its own when the going gets twisty. Steering is numb but razor sharp and laser precise. The suspension has hardly any role either. The Sport Mode doesn't make the car any faster, but rather sharpens throttle response and weights up the steering for a sporty feel, useful for freeway or canyon use. Power issues aside, the CT never feels like a detached, isolation-pod hybrid whose only purpose is to suck the joy out of its owners in exchange for better savings at the pump.

The CT200h is a solid car for anyone looking for solid entry-lux transport in the city. It lacks the pizzazz of its German brethren but is more practical and logical for long term ownership. As an added plus MPG does actually hover around its EPA ratings, and ginger driving will yield near a consistent 48 MPG (I've never gone below 44 MPG myself).

First and last Lexus
By Bonnie Zucker Rossi

2014 Lexus CT 200h Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I bought a brand new Lexus Ct200h in August of 2014. Loved the car till January when crackling and rattling was heard in the dashboard. Two months later and several visits to the dealership and was finally told that the rattling is a "normal characteristic" of the car. I have documentation that says that the cold weather is a cause for the sound. Am now in step one of Lexus arbitration process. Hoping for the best but not expecting it. Should anyone accept rattling in a brand new car especially a luxury car?

CT 200h w/Nav (2014)---Fun to Drive---
By thorpaj

2014 Lexus CT 200h Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

A lot of small to mid-sized sedans (Buick-too tacky interior, Mercedes-gas mileage, Mini-Cooper- too small, Mazda3-good hatchback) were test driven. In the end, the interior styling, comfort, small size (for city parking) and gas mileage benefits swayed me to this vehicle. It is used for city driving and a very long weekly commute. As you can imagine, in the city I keep it in sport mode and on the highway it goes into fuel sipping mode. It is very comfortable on long drives and spirited in the city. Works perfect for my purposes. The difference between sport and fuel sipping mode is remarkable.

Also, it doesn't feel "small" when sitting behind the wheel.

Mileage, sport driving mode, back up camera, interior styling, sound system, Love the rain sensing wipers. Edmund's professional review is pretty spot on, but I would say in sport mode it has pretty good pickup.

I would like a little more sound deadening, the dilapidated American roads can be a bit more noisy than I was expecting from a Lexus. I would also like to have road bumps a bit more absorbed. Obviously a bigger trunk would go a long ways to making this a more user friendly vehicle. I do wish it had driver memory. Adaptive cruise control at this price point seems reasonable. IMO, the navigation system is useless. It is a complete pain in the rear to program with the lame interface and mouse pointer thingy. My iPhone app works WAY better (I use Waze). Actually, I pretty much hate, hate, hate the entire interface with the entertainment system, why not just have a touchscreen???

I love this car so much, I just bought a new one to replace my 2011
By patentcad1

2014 Lexus CT 200h Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was shopping for a hybrid 3 years ago to replace a gas guzzling SUV.
Loved the styling of the CT, didn't want to get a Prius (I had just bought one for my wife).
So I took the plunge.
LOVE the CT. So much so that I just replaced the 2011 with a new 2014.

Love the styling, practicality (the hatchback four door arrangement is great, I play in a band on weekends and I ride road bicycles, I can fit my PA system, two guitars, amp, etc. for a gig or I've jammed THREE full sized road bikes up in the back of this car), comfort, ergonomics. FUN to drive, particularly in SPORT mode on the local twisties. The lack of power really only rears its head from 50-80mph on the hwy. On the other hand I can put the car in cruise control @ 85+ mph and STILL get 40-44 mpg. You gotta love that. The car is AMAZING on fuel economy. Bought it with the NAV and Premium sound system packages, all that stuff is GREAT. Bluetooth phone audio is just amazing.

Needs 30-50 more hp, a skosh more room, but it's a pretty well designed car that makes the RIGHT compromises. Beautiful styling, feel, a true entry level Lexus that does justice to the brand.