2012 Lexus CT 200h Consumer Review: Better MPG than advertised

2012 Lexus CT 200h - Consumer Review

Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4-cyl. Hybrid CVT Automatic)

Better MPG than advertised
By samborambo1 on

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my CT for about 3 week now and I have only driven less than a 1000 miles. I have fueled up the car twice. Both times, I calculated the mpg based on the trip miles divided by the number of gallons pumped in. Both times I was able to achieve between 49 and 50 miles per gallon. This is definitely above the mpg on the sticker. There are plethora of CT drivers that are getting below 40mpg while some are getting over 50mpg. It all depends on how you drive the car. It will NOT out run any car on the road if you want good mpg. So be prepared to pull to the right, slowly get up to speed, and let the traffic pass you by. I'm ok with that. If you are too, then the CT is for you.

Near 50 MPG. But this all depends on the driving habits. I get up to speed slowly/moderately, tend to use cruise control, and when in housing neighborhoods keep to 25mph during which electric mode kicks in. If you like to drive quickly thus use the sport mode, it'll be difficult to get anything higher than 40mpg. My other favorite features are interior quality that far surpasses CT's cousin, the prius. I seriously debated prius over the CT. Prius is a superb car, but I could not get over the interior design and material. Moreover, I like the joystick nav/enform. It's a hefty price to pay for visual gratification; but to me it's worth the money. But I wouldn't advise it to budget conscious.

The leg room in the back is atrociously small. My two year old boy can't stretch his legs while on his car seat if my wife is riding along on the passenger side (his seat is situated behind the passenger side). She would have to pull her seat forward quite a bit to allow room for my son. I would like to see standard HID lights. If you are looking for a family car, don't go with CT. I can't believe I paid 34k before taxes for a car without HID. I think 20k+ cars come with HID nowadays. Lexus does try to gouge you with options. Bigger sunroof: it's pretty small and it doesn't even open all the way (maybe 2/3 of the way). Some of the buttons and knobs look pretty cheap for a Lexus.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review