2012 Lexus CT 200h Consumer Reviews 2

2012 CT 200h Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Give It a Serious Test Drive
By gary7465

2012 Lexus CT 200h 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I know I'm in the minority here, but I'm very disapponted with this car. If you've never had a hybrid, give it a very serious test drive before you buy or lease. On the plus side, the MPG is excellent -- better than advertised -- and the front seats are very comfortable. The exterior of the car is very pretty. Overall, the car isn't as much a Lexus as it is a gift wrapped Prius. There are obvious trade offs with a hybrid, but the performance in Normal mode is tepid, at best. There's better performance in Sport mode, but it's annoying to have to toggle back and forth. The ride is harsh, the car is full of rattles, steering is jittery and the back seat is very cramped.

Favorite Features

External appearance, front seat comfort, quality of paint.

Suggested Improvements

"Pleather" seats and steering wheel feel cold and sticky. Dash and door panels look inexpensive. Doors are very tinny. Standard audio system sounds like it has only one speaker. This car replaced a Mini Cooper Clubman, which I miss terribly. I plan to dump the Lexus in a year and get something that's more of a driver's car.

Toyota Hybrid drivetrain w/o the Prius looks
By tk1971

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Like it or hate it, the Toyota Prius has successfully mainstreamed the hybrid car. The first gen cars that are still out on the road is a testament of how reliable this drivetrain is. But for some (like myself), I can't get past the way it looks (like a door stop). It's just not my style. The Lexus CT200h floats my boat. Compared to a Prius, it's a very different car. The front bucket seats alone are worth the price of admission. The sporty good looks, larger alloy wheels, and luxurious amenities sacrifices some MPG, but I'm getting more than 45mpg. What more can I ask for? Sure, it's on the low end of the Lexus totem pole, but it's definitely more comfortable than a top of the line Prius.

Favorite Features

Real world 45mpg with a 80+ mile round trip commute (90% FWY). Pleather seats (my past 3 cars with real leather seats got hard and cracked after just a few years). Feels about as comfortable as my 06 Evolution IX with the leather Recaro seats. I had vinyl in my first car (81 Datsun 210). After 15 years, even though the cloth around it disintegrated, the vinyl was fine. Looks. I love the way this car looks. Reminds me of the IS300 wagon. Size. I love small cars because I'm small and fit in small cars very nicely. Easy to park, good maneuverability, and a good u-turn radius. Did I mention 45mpg?

Suggested Improvements

Why won't any car mfg license blue tooth handsfree tech from Parrot? Is it that much more money? Alpine licenses from Parrot for their higher end units. I had a 7 year old Parrot system in my previous car that can synch and use my phone's phonebook. I've switched phones a handful of times and it'd always worked. No updates required. With the CT200h and my current phone, I have to program each contact into the car, and it won't fit all my contacts either, so I had to prioritize. Manually entering contacts? That's so 1990's.

Excellent Car
By rjab

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Had this car for a week now and it's amazing. Getting already 45 mpg with mixed city and highway driving. Got the Premium trim with Audio package, HDD Navigaton and Leather Package. Love the drive and the sports mode. Saving a lot of money on the gas. Got the Factory Invoice price from my dealer.

Favorite Features

Different driving modes, Remote touch controller, seats are very comfortable to sit in.

Suggested Improvements

Power passenger seat, power tilt/telescoping steering wheel.

awesome from day one!
By exp68

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I traded my soon to be out of warranty 07 CLS63 for my 2012 F sport.45-49 mpg mostly in the sport mode mixed city/hiway driving.I debadged my hottie including the blue L,,,don't want to be mistaken for a Greeny....no one knows what it is, lots of thumbs up,you would get that responce in a Prius!!!

Favorite Features

MPG. handeling,looks

Suggested Improvements

Needs a stronger B mode for down hill braking,oh keep an eye on the low hanging sway bar mounts

Hot hot hybrid
By carmageddon

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

With the F-Sport package this thing's got kind of an upscale eco-friendly bad attitude look to it. And I love the modern wood and leather free interior; it's about time that we start to see some new materials indoors. Power's on the light side, but handling with the sports package is definitely competitive with the Mini's and GTI's of the world. But they don't get forty-something miles per gallon on regular now do they?

Favorite Features

Streaming Bluetooth means rocking internet radio through the sound system at the low low price of free; Adjustable eco/norm/sport setting really boosts the power when needed or wanted and cuts it when you're seeking to impress with your social consciousness; Nuluxe upholstery is comfy and unique; Did I mention forty something miles per gallon on regular?

Suggested Improvements

I've bumped my head a couple of times on the handgrip over the door when exiting; please redesign so that I stop doing that; It might be nice if it came in some real colors instead of today's ubiquitous monochromes.

Better MPG than advertised
By samborambo1

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have had my CT for about 3 week now and I have only driven less than a 1000 miles. I have fueled up the car twice. Both times, I calculated the mpg based on the trip miles divided by the number of gallons pumped in. Both times I was able to achieve between 49 and 50 miles per gallon. This is definitely above the mpg on the sticker. There are plethora of CT drivers that are getting below 40mpg while some are getting over 50mpg. It all depends on how you drive the car. It will NOT out run any car on the road if you want good mpg. So be prepared to pull to the right, slowly get up to speed, and let the traffic pass you by. I'm ok with that. If you are too, then the CT is for you.

Favorite Features

Near 50 MPG. But this all depends on the driving habits. I get up to speed slowly/moderately, tend to use cruise control, and when in housing neighborhoods keep to 25mph during which electric mode kicks in. If you like to drive quickly thus use the sport mode, it'll be difficult to get anything higher than 40mpg. My other favorite features are interior quality that far surpasses CT's cousin, the prius. I seriously debated prius over the CT. Prius is a superb car, but I could not get over the interior design and material. Moreover, I like the joystick nav/enform. It's a hefty price to pay for visual gratification; but to me it's worth the money. But I wouldn't advise it to budget conscious.

Suggested Improvements

The leg room in the back is atrociously small. My two year old boy can't stretch his legs while on his car seat if my wife is riding along on the passenger side (his seat is situated behind the passenger side). She would have to pull her seat forward quite a bit to allow room for my son. I would like to see standard HID lights. If you are looking for a family car, don't go with CT. I can't believe I paid 34k before taxes for a car without HID. I think 20k+ cars come with HID nowadays. Lexus does try to gouge you with options. Bigger sunroof: it's pretty small and it doesn't even open all the way (maybe 2/3 of the way). Some of the buttons and knobs look pretty cheap for a Lexus.

54 mpg!?!?
By ernbon

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife got this car (2012 model) two weeks ago as a birthday present. She just came home from a luncheon and advised me that she is now getting 54 MPG! After telling her she was crazy, I went down to the garage and checked for myself. Remarkable. She is very satisfied with the car so far.

Favorite Features

Seats, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Door arm rests are very low. Flimsy glove compartment door.

48 MPG !
By striker6

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

The main reason I purchased it was my total disgust with supporting corporate gasholes at over $4gl. Yes,I am actually averaging 48 mpg! If you aren't ...change your driving habits. It won't win any 1/4 mile drag races, but where in this overly congested country can you go more than a 1/4 mile most of the time without stopping for a red light. I traded a high performance sport coupe that I was only using 25% of its power less than 50% of the time...where's the logic in that ??!! This car rides just as well, and I really don't miss taking off ramps at 90mph ! It's extremely comfortable, very stylish (gotten many compliments), and of course, Lexus quality. Best bang for my $ in many years !!!

This is a great car!
By irishpilot

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Extremely happy with the styling of this car! But most of all I love all the technologies! I like all the bells and whistles and this car has them all. Even my high school age daughter likes this purchase...hoping that it will be her car in couple of years. Very nice car by Lexus!

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is the nicest thing about this car but the technologies run a close second. I like the Euro styling of the car as wheel.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders and a center armrest in the back seat. Since we only have one high school age kid (who doesn't want to go anywhere with us ;-) this is not a huge issue...would just be nice.

Love this Car!!
By viv86

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I wanted a hybrid but resorted to looking at cars with better gas mileage until I saw this car in a commercial and then at an Auto Show. I am so glad I found this car! I am getting the same gas mileage as the estimates but am trending better than 43 mpg. I've only had it for two weeks and the mpg is getting better as I continue to learn how to drive it. The trunk space the interior cabin are small but for someone who doesn't drive a lot of passengers around it is fine. The beauty of this car is that you can get more power just by turning a dial to "sport mode". When in that mode the pick up is noticeably quicker than when in "normal mode". I am very happy with this car!

Favorite Features

the ability to change driving modes

Suggested Improvements

cup holders in back seat larger sun visors with an extension