2012 Lexus CT 200h Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Lexus Ct-200h - Consumer Reviews

2012 CT 200h Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CT 200h model:

Sort Reviews by

Stylish well built car, not suitable for families!
By Richard Waldron

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Had this car almost 3 years now, just reached the 30k mark. It is a great little car with good gas savings. We seem to average about 40-45 mpg with a mix of city and highway driving. I really only have 2 complaints.. 1. It is very low. So low I can not drive it up my drive without scrapping the bottom. So I have to park it on the street. 2. It is great for 1-2 people, but the back is too small for adults. With a baby on the way we will have to trade it in. Definitely no room for a stroller in the trunk! Trunk can not even fit a regular size suitcase. Tip: go to Toyota not Lexus for any servicing. A major Lexus service costs around $750. Toyota charge $200 for exactly the same service

I am in love with this car
By cindyropp

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I was lucky and found a 2012 fully loaded with only 6k miles on it for $26k. I love this car, while I have a lead foot, I am only getting 37 to 40mpg...if I am driving like an old lady on a straight road, I might get 40 but I live in san diego, hills everywhere and going up hill, the mileage goes down. I love the handling. this is the perfect combination of sporty, economical, practical, fun. Definitely beats the competition of the other hybrids in $28-35k range!!

Favorite Features

love that I never have to get keys out. push button start, opens cars with touch of my hand, push a button to park the car. radio control buttons positioned well, computer mouse-point click feature, nimble turn and handling, awesome brakes- stop on a dime!!! I didn't realize until several weeks I had it that you can flip down the monitor screen if you want. can fold seats down and have ton of room!!!

Suggested Improvements

more than one power outlet!! little more back seat room. put cup holders in back for passengers trunk release from inside the car. I find the navigation a little hard to maneuver, easy to put addresses in but hard when you want to start using compass and other features. Stop the beeping when using back up camera without having to take to dealer and pay 70 dollars to have them change it.

good but
By roberta22

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I love my Lexus. Have had it for almost 2 years and I'm still getting good mileage. I also think it's fun to drive and very easy on freeways with all the start and stop of urban driving. What I didn't think about when I purchased it (and should have) was how low to the ground it is. Easy for the driver to get in and out but almost always have to pull away from the curb to let a passenger in and out. Have been losing air pressure in my tires and now find out that it's corrosion of the chrome wheels. So far two wheels have had to be resealed. Anybody else have this problem? Let me know...

F-Sport not comfortable
By scott261

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I want to begin my review by saying the ct200h f sport is a good car, but it is not comfortable, especially if you drive long distances. Stay away from the F-sport. The bucket seat design offers no support, despite the built in lumbar support. And once I highlighted the problem I have had very poor support from Lexus themselves, giving me contradicting information. I have had a physio and an occupational health advisor state the seat is causing my back problems, and had no prior problems with Audi, bmw, Ford or Peugeot. All cars I drove long distance. I had no problems with the seat of the regular ct200h, I'm curious to know if anyone else has had problems with the f-sport??

Suggested Improvements

Remove the bucket seats, the car doesn't go fast enough to need the support anyway!!

Stylish Fuel Sipper
By orangelebaron

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I have the 2012 premium fire agate (brown) for 13 months and 14,200 miles. Most people give 5 stars and rave about this car. I'm not so easy. Fuel economy has been 37 to 44 depending on time of year. The handling is fantastic. But ride is hard due to low profile tires. The brakes are extremely powerful. The seats? Good for 100 miles after that my legs go numb because the cushion is too soft in the middle, causing circulation to get cut off to my legs. Better for short trips. Back bolsters are too aggressive. Rear passengers cannot place feet under seats because of HVAC. Nav system is way too complicated and frustrating. You end up giving up and using your iPhone many times.

Favorite Features

Handling, brakes, fuel economy, distinctive modern styling

Suggested Improvements

Ditch the low profile tires for a softer ride, simplify the controls and navigation system, make the seat bottoms firmer. Get rid of ducts under front seats, so rear passengers have a place for their feet. Why can't I see what radio station I have on while the map is on? Why can't I see how many tenths of a mile I have gone at the same time as the odometer? Too many menus and buttons!!! The roof grab handle hits me in the head. The grab handle on the rear hatch is in the wrong direction. Why no lumbar support or height adjustment for the front passenger? Why no cup holder in the back seat? Make the compass arrow bigger and elongated so that you can tell which way it is pointed!!!

2012 200CT
By donce

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Thumbs up! I also own a Prius so I knew what I am getting into with CT. Great build and finish. Overall very tasteful interior layout and exterior. Very stable/controlled in turns. I am averaging about 42-43mpg so far in mixed driving, but have to keep in mind that I only driven it since mid-February to Mid-April in Connecticut. To all hybrid newbies: fuel consumption falls down more significantly in hybrids in winter season compared to standard cars. So I am expecting better mpg as we head into warmer season. One more thing, if you drive any car 3 miles and it's parked there all day, and then drive back home the same distance, you will never achieve advertised mpg on any car except EV.

Favorite Features

Tachometer in sport driving mode(believe me, after driving Prius even simple thing like that makes me smile) . Comfortable seats. Great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Center console could use some more upscale materials besides plastic. There is no opening in the middle upper section of the back seat. (Sorry, I am used to owning Saabs and that was so convenient and smart. Could easily throw in 2 or 3 sets of skis and still sit 2 passengers in the back) Hoping in a future there will be a more powerful engine built, that manages to keep mpg the same or in better range. After all, hybrids are popping left and right these days, competition brings the best.

Great Upscale Hybrid
By blackmambo

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

My wife and I were looking to get a more efficient vehicle since most of our driving is within 5 miles of our house. We quickly found out in our research that the CT 200h ticked every box on our list: gas mileage, looks, build quality, reliability, comfort, and gadgets. For around $36,000 fully loaded, it's actually priced very reasonably considering it's from a luxury brand. Most reviews knock the car for its performance, which is odd since this is a hybrid. I was actually surprised to find power more than adequate for going up hills and merging. Handling is where this car shines - steering is tight and the car is very fun to drive. Rear seats are a bit tight but they are comfortable.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, navigation system and hands-free control, sound system, dashboard design, seat comfort, keyless access with automatic lighting as you approach the car (interior lights and lights under mirrors)

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest on door is very low and uncomfortable to use, power passenger seat should be standard, LED headlamps should be standard, rear cup holders and door storage is lacking

One year after purchasing...
By nanday

2012 Lexus CT 200h 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I just passed one year driving my CT200H. Firstly, I live in the subtropics in Australia, so driving in heavy snow or ice is not a concern. I wanted fuel efficiency, safety and reliability and this car delivers, and also gives a very comfortable ride. It is not a standout in appearance but is better than the blocky looking Prius. It is an exellent car for a single older person, or a couple (and maybe ones with small children), but the back seat cramped. It delivers everything I wanted and I would recommend it on the fuel savings alone.

Favorite Features

Fuel efficiency, reliability, Lexus service, comfort, safety.

Suggested Improvements

A lower entry price. Another hybrid model between this one and the SUV (for example a wagon or a small SUV) would entice me to trade up when the time comes in order to get more storage space and leg room.

An honest review on the ct200h
By ctenthusiast

2012 Lexus CT 200h Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

First off, let me say that I love this little car! I am a 6'2", 180 pound, 41 year old man... So you know a little of where my points of view are coming from. Lets address the categories that I didn't rank with 5's, first off, performance- performance is pretty good all in all, and particularly in sport mode it reacts quite well... However, make no mistake, this is not a sports car! It is a hybrid that is getting you up to 60 mpg at times. If you want to spin tires and blast 0-60 in 4 seconds you are going to have to rethink buying this car! Second, comfort- I am a fairly big guy and I find this car to be really very comfortable, I have my seat at the furthest and lowest position.

Favorite Features

Continued... If I were any bigger it would not work. The car is narrow, so if you are wide, you may want to think hard on it! Third, value- really this might be a 5! 40 grand is a chunk of money, but the technology and build of this car is pretty tremendous, just know the Mazda that looks similar is 15 grand less. Fourth, fun to drive- I love the drive in sport mode, I'd give it a 5. But in normal or Eco the car is weak. FAVORITE FEATURES- the cockpit is awesome! I love the style and all the fun technology I can play with from the driver's seat. The navi system is unbelievable. Do not buy this car and elect not to pay for navi, it's SO MUCH more than navigation. And of course the MPG is tops

Suggested Improvements

I agree with most other reviews, make the sport mode a possible default position so I don't have to toggle. The back seat is a bit of a joke too! I have kids, but if I need to take them somewhere it is going to have to be in my other car. This car is designed for one or two people, the back seats do fold down flat so your hauling and storage capabilities are quite spacious. OVERALL I would not change a whole lot, I mean sure, I wish it performed like a 911 porche and still achieved 45 mpg, but that is unrealistic thinking. I am very pleased with the ct200h and imagine I will begin to see many more on the roads as the price of gas continues to climb.

Don't buy in snow country!
By slimpiks

2012 Lexus CT 200h 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Great dry road car and fun to drive. In our first snow of season, unable to move due to vehicle control system. At stop sign on snow/ice, car would not move and had to back out of traffic situation. Talked to Lexus dealer and no lock out for vehicle control system, which is on other Lexus models. Had to trade car for Camry, which has the vehicle control system lock out. Camry performs much better on snow/ice. Buy a Camry, which has almost same expected mileage.

Favorite Features

Great looking and fun to drive on dry roads. Good gas mileage. Nice interior but limited storage. Great road car but a little choppy due to short wheelbase.

Suggested Improvements

Car should have lock out for vehicle control system. Also needs cup holders in back seat and more storage in front seat area.