2005 Land Rover Range Rover SUV - Consumer Reviews

HSE 4.4L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (37 reviews )
Love my FullFat Range Rover
By bergml on 02/15/12 09:47 AM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

107K miles, no major faults to note. All records going back to new. Typical fiddly LR stuff here and there (door handle release cable, dead battery---but it was the original that lasted 7 years, and these things are typically hard on batteries, occasional goofy electrical gremlins, cooling hoses randomly burst---this is well documented) but all in all, the truck has been tremendously reliable and is very comfortable and nothing feels as safe when you're having to navigate through blinding snow storms and 10 degree temps. My truck has the lux package so the seats are straight out of a 7-series BM and are very comfortable. Find one that has been looked after and you'll see why we love them!

150K Miles and completely reliable
By erniki on 02/05/11 04:50 AM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Single owner, mostly highway miles, and this SUV deserves all the credit as a reliable, safe, and stylish SUV. Have just over 150K miles and have had 3 repairs on the SUV since first purchasing in 2004. 1) Cup Holder 2) Sunglasses Holder 3) O2 Sensor Routine Maintence on the SUV includes: 1) Every 5,000 miles change 0w40 Mobile 1 2) Tires 3) Serpentine Belt 4) Transmission and coolant flush 5) Brakes ** Do not take to Range Rover Dealer ** Since ford purchsed in 2003, the parts are regularly available at most auto mechanics at half the hourly rate. Love this truck, could not imagine ever going back to a Tahoe. Curp appeal, safety, and comfort at its best.

Rover is most reliable
By BMW Engine 2005 Rove on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I hear and read so many reviews of people stating this car is terrible. I got to tell you in my opinion my car has had zero problems besides a cup holder breaking and I am sure that was from me putting something to large in there. Just for the public wanted you to hear a positive review that this is a head Turner/ reliable/ fun SUV and in my opinion the most enjoyable car I have ever had.

Not all are bad
By Wayne on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I read several of the reviews listed here before purchasing my 2005 Range Rover HSE as was very nervous about doing so due to all the negative comments about it's reliability. I purchased the vehicle with approx. 68K miles and to my surprise it has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever purchased! Now I have ~109K miles on it a it runs just like it did the day I purchased it. The only major cost was the front suspension. This was a 2K+ repair but other than that nothing more than routine maintenance. I love my RR there is nothing like it on the road or off! With the air suspension it rides smoother on the highway that most cars! Sounds system is awesome and the engine sounds great!

Looks are very deceiving
By Range Rover on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Real quick review: this SUV is beautiful but the maintenance is very poor. I have owned for over 3 years and have been in the dealership service department as if I worked there. I don't know if its the manufacturer or the technicians but there is always an issue. If you have time or money to waste this SUV is right for you. I highly recommend purchasing extended warranty.

Looks are great but maintenance is poor
By T Joseph on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We purchased this vehicle in 07, warranty was still on the vehicle. Every since 07 I can't even keep track of how many times this SUV has been in the service dept. I don't know if it's the manufacturer or the technicians that work at the dealership. on 3 different occasions I picked up the car and had to bring it back in less than an hour and it was always something different. pls purchase extended warranty if you plan on buying. Extremely poor maintenance.

Taking a Risk
By mscolej on 02/03/10 12:57 PM (PST)

2005 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I took a bit of a risk on this one, 2005 RR with 90K, but I got such a great deal it was in such great shape that I could not refuse. I have always admired these trucks and the ride is awesome. I did get a warranty at a reasonable cost from warranties4wheels. The 2005 seems to be put together better that the 03's and 04's I had driven and it was the last to have the BMW engine. I have not seen any of the major issues or cost that others have seen and fingers crossed hopefully I won't the good news is it was such a good deal that I could spend a little and not be pissed.

Don't believe the (negative) hype
By DaTB on 10/01/09 00:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this truck a few years ago as a b-day present to replace my husband's aging '01 RR 4.6 HSE. After buying several brand new and slightly used cars, I decided upon a pre-owned, still-under-warranty '05 RR (which is THEE way to go since you let others pay $30k more for the same vehicle to determine if it's solid, or a lemon). And this beast is one impressive machine: it's amazingly torquey and can induce whiplash if you've got a heavy foot, it has a cavernous interior, gigantic, ultra-comfortable seats, intuitive and well laid out touch screen, insane, gale-force A/C, and unsurpassed build integrity. But, it is anemic at speeds above 30mp & could use a few more tech features. Love it!

Rodeo Drive meets the Rubicon
By DaTB on 05/11/09 11:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We traded in our 2001 Range Rover for a newer model & we found that certified pre-owned is THEE way to go: you have the vehicle's service history to see if it's a lemon, & we got roughly $35k off the original sticker price. HUGE comfotable seats, both front and back. The height of the driving position is captivating because you feel so in control of not only the vehicle, but all those around you as well. Integration of center console with the dash and the rest of the vehicle is beautiful. Super torquey engine that pins you to your seat but struggles at higher RPMs to haul this monster. This truck rides with more refinement than our previous '02 745i! Storage is ENORMOUS! Highly recommended!

Quality
By Range owner on 10/21/08 15:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased new 2005 Range Rover in 12 2004. Differential broke at 45k miles. Broke again out of warrant at 65k miles. At 70k miles suspension shot. Differential cost 3k. Suspension 2k, but will not fix, just add springs and not use vehicle suspension. Service out of warranty is awful.