Used 2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

HSE 4.4L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (37 reviews )

Love my FullFat Range Rover
By bergml

2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

107K miles, no major faults to note. All records going back to new. Typical fiddly LR stuff here and there (door handle release cable, dead battery---but it was the original that lasted 7 years, and these things are typically hard on batteries, occasional goofy electrical gremlins, cooling hoses randomly burst---this is well documented) but all in all, the truck has been tremendously reliable and is very comfortable and nothing feels as safe when you're having to navigate through blinding snow storms and 10 degree temps. My truck has the lux package so the seats are straight out of a 7-series BM and are very comfortable. Find one that has been looked after and you'll see why we love them!

1. Cold weather pack: Heated seats front and rear, heated steering wheel, heated windshield. 2. Air suspension: Can be a headache at times (mine hasn't, knock on wood) but provides a wonderful, Jaguar-esque GLIDE-quality not ride quality ;) 3. Towing capability: Can tow 7,700lbs without breaking a sweat. 4. Infotainment system: Great H/K Logic 7 sound system, sat-nav and Bluetooth capability. Pairs with my iPhone 4 without hassle.

1. Climate control system is fiddly. The heat, although it gets plenty warm, never feels as hot as I think it should (or as hot as I've felt in "lesser" automobiles). Interior can get stuffy unless you tweak the temperature settings often. One thing I do like about it, however, is that you can have different air temps at the footwell and at the fascia vents, like in my Bentley Turbo R, so on a sunny but chilly day you can keep warm air on your feet and have cool air on your face. 2. As good as the M62 BMW engine is, the noise is a little intrusive into the cabin of the truck. I'd have liked more sound insulation. My previous P38 RR was quieter in that sense.

150K Miles and completely reliable
By erniki

2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Single owner, mostly highway miles, and this SUV deserves all the credit as a reliable, safe, and stylish SUV. Have just over 150K miles and have had 3 repairs on the SUV since first purchasing in 2004. 1) Cup Holder 2) Sunglasses Holder 3) O2 Sensor Routine Maintence on the SUV includes: 1) Every 5,000 miles change 0w40 Mobile 1 2) Tires 3) Serpentine Belt 4) Transmission and coolant flush 5) Brakes ** Do not take to Range Rover Dealer ** Since ford purchsed in 2003, the parts are regularly available at most auto mechanics at half the hourly rate. Love this truck, could not imagine ever going back to a Tahoe. Curp appeal, safety, and comfort at its best.

Interior and Exterior Design/Protection of underbody from Rust/Salt

None Very Happy

Rover is most reliable
By BMW Engine 2005 Rove

2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I hear and read so many reviews of people stating this car is terrible. I got to tell you in my opinion my car has had zero problems besides a cup holder breaking and I am sure that was from me putting something to large in there. Just for the public wanted you to hear a positive review that this is a head Turner/ reliable/ fun SUV and in my opinion the most enjoyable car I have ever had.

Luxury Package and BMW Engine

Learn how to make one with regular gas versus premium

Not all are bad
By Wayne

2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I read several of the reviews listed here before purchasing my 2005 Range Rover HSE as was very nervous about doing so due to all the negative comments about it's reliability. I purchased the vehicle with approx. 68K miles and to my surprise it has been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever purchased! Now I have ~109K miles on it a it runs just like it did the day I purchased it. The only major cost was the front suspension. This was a 2K+ repair but other than that nothing more than routine maintenance. I love my RR there is nothing like it on the road or off! With the air suspension it rides smoother on the highway that most cars! Sounds system is awesome and the engine sounds great!

The look, the pride that comes with ownership, the 4 suspension settings highway, off road, normal, and access! The GPS, the touch screen nav, and the voice recognition feature for almost all the audio, trip computer, and display!

Better bluetooth compatibility! Better gas mileage although not bad for a vehicle that weighs over 5000 lbs and almost 300 hp. Connection for I-POD or audio/video input

Looks are very deceiving
By Range Rover

2005 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Real quick review: this SUV is beautiful but the maintenance is very poor. I have owned for over 3 years and have been in the dealership service department as if I worked there. I don't know if its the manufacturer or the technicians but there is always an issue. If you have time or money to waste this SUV is right for you. I highly recommend purchasing extended warranty.

Create this SUV with less maintenance and better MPG.