Used 2004 Land Rover Range Rover Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

HSE 4.4L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (116 reviews )

The Best SUV I have Owned
By reyes73a

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I keep reading about people complaining about the build quality and reliability. That is all BS. We are talking about a car from 2004. Wait until the new 2015 models get reviewed 11 years from now and then we can compare who did better: Ford VS BMW.I bought it used with 77K and its been a wonderful car. I do all the maintenance myself and its actually quite cheap. I love to drive it. Gas mileage and outdated electronics are the two major setbacks for me. For highway driving gas mileage is good (25 mpg approx). The air ride its just great! People complain about the air suspension going out. The exact same thing happens on all +10yr old luxury vehicles that use it...

- The BMW engine noise. - Knowing that no matter where you drive you will never likely get stuck. Off-roading is 50% of the Rover's DNA. Even though now a days people usually buy them as a social status symbol lets not forget that this thing will outperform almost every other SUV off-roading with the right tires. - Air ride - yet to find a vehicle that has a better driving quality.

- Electronics are clearly outdated. The NAV unit is close to useless really... but that's because its +10yrs old. - BMW M62TUB44 4.4L engine is superb however its does have some design flaws with the valve cover gaskets and they tend to leak every now and then.

The Most Realistic 04 Range Rover Review You Will Read
By randa314

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2004 HSE last year for roughly 13k and I have without question LOVED everything about the vehicle. Comfort, the performance, the overall ride of the vehicle. I've been pleasantly surprised by the gas mileage. Not sure how I would measure by the gallon, but I will say that when I fill up for 75.00 a tank, I can go from central VA to North Jersey on one tank and still have some fumes left over. A full tank gets me roughly 476 miles total for highway driving. For my local 20 minute each way commute to the office and my around town stuff, I can get through an entire week on one tank. Due to lack of characters, I will need to continue in a seperate review.

The overall ride. The very large windsheild is great for seeing all of the road. Very few blind spots. There is nothing like riding on air. The sound systems is superb.

None

Simply the best
By nutty123

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 5th Range Rover and by far the best. I still get that buzz every time I climb into the drivers seat. Comfort is absolutely outstanding, in fact there isn't a seat in the house that is as comfortable. The smooth gear change, build quality, and the envious looks you get from other drivers says it all. Those little extras like heated steering wheel, parking sensors front and rear, and TV make it special. I have the LPG conversion which means that in real terms I get the equivalent of about 40 mpg which is amazing for a car of this size and quality. Quite simply the best 4 x 4 in the world.

Heated steering wheel, parking sensors front and rear.

Better treatment from Land Rover dealers

Pleasantly Suprised...A Gem
By pdxrover1

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We've owned this car for 3 years now. No major issues to speak of, must have gotten a good one. Only have 71k miles on it, but are looking forward to another 15k or so before upgrading to a newer model. 2004 is a great year with a fantastic engine made by BMW, not like later years where ford took over. Has never let me down reliability wise, took it to Alaska for a year, never slipped, got stuck, or had any kind of hesitation.

I love heated seats, heated windshield (no more scraping ice), and heated steering wheel. Incredible ride comfort, don't even notice large potholes. Very easy to get kids in and out of Carseats, our 110 lb German shepherd loves the space in the cargo area with built in separator.

Auto headlight shut off - this year has manual light shut off...which is annoying, because if you forget=dead battery.

Worst Car of all Time
By flyboyz123

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is the worst car that I have ever owned in my life. 1.) very unreliable, less then 2 weeks after purchasing the car the air suspension went out. Grand total =$2,000 2.) less then 3 months after getting the suspension fixed the transmission went out. Grand total = $6,000 3.) Worst gas mileage on a vehicle I have ever seen I would not recommend this car to my worst enemy, it looks good and is comfortable but thats where the buck stops.

Touch screen, and nice interior

I suggest that Range Rover buts more time improving the reliability of this vehicle.