Used 2004 Land Rover Range Rover Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Land-rover Range-rover - Consumer Reviews

HSE 4.4L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (115 reviews )

The Most Realistic 04 Range Rover Review You Will Read
By randa314

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my 2004 HSE last year for roughly 13k and I have without question LOVED everything about the vehicle. Comfort, the performance, the overall ride of the vehicle. I've been pleasantly surprised by the gas mileage. Not sure how I would measure by the gallon, but I will say that when I fill up for 75.00 a tank, I can go from central VA to North Jersey on one tank and still have some fumes left over. A full tank gets me roughly 476 miles total for highway driving. For my local 20 minute each way commute to the office and my around town stuff, I can get through an entire week on one tank. Due to lack of characters, I will need to continue in a seperate review.

Favorite Features

The overall ride. The very large windsheild is great for seeing all of the road. Very few blind spots. There is nothing like riding on air. The sound systems is superb.

Suggested Improvements

None

Simply the best
By nutty123

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 5th Range Rover and by far the best. I still get that buzz every time I climb into the drivers seat. Comfort is absolutely outstanding, in fact there isn't a seat in the house that is as comfortable. The smooth gear change, build quality, and the envious looks you get from other drivers says it all. Those little extras like heated steering wheel, parking sensors front and rear, and TV make it special. I have the LPG conversion which means that in real terms I get the equivalent of about 40 mpg which is amazing for a car of this size and quality. Quite simply the best 4 x 4 in the world.

Favorite Features

Heated steering wheel, parking sensors front and rear.

Suggested Improvements

Better treatment from Land Rover dealers

Pleasantly Suprised...A Gem
By pdxrover1

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

We've owned this car for 3 years now. No major issues to speak of, must have gotten a good one. Only have 71k miles on it, but are looking forward to another 15k or so before upgrading to a newer model. 2004 is a great year with a fantastic engine made by BMW, not like later years where ford took over. Has never let me down reliability wise, took it to Alaska for a year, never slipped, got stuck, or had any kind of hesitation.

Favorite Features

I love heated seats, heated windshield (no more scraping ice), and heated steering wheel. Incredible ride comfort, don't even notice large potholes. Very easy to get kids in and out of Carseats, our 110 lb German shepherd loves the space in the cargo area with built in separator.

Suggested Improvements

Auto headlight shut off - this year has manual light shut off...which is annoying, because if you forget=dead battery.

Worst Car of all Time
By flyboyz123

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is the worst car that I have ever owned in my life. 1.) very unreliable, less then 2 weeks after purchasing the car the air suspension went out. Grand total =$2,000 2.) less then 3 months after getting the suspension fixed the transmission went out. Grand total = $6,000 3.) Worst gas mileage on a vehicle I have ever seen I would not recommend this car to my worst enemy, it looks good and is comfortable but thats where the buck stops.

Favorite Features

Touch screen, and nice interior

Suggested Improvements

I suggest that Range Rover buts more time improving the reliability of this vehicle.

A nightmare wrapped in a prettty package.
By maxmoney

2004 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This car was one of the best cars I purchased until I hit that 50-60K mark. After I reached 60K it was downhill from there. Had it in the shop countless times because of having to replace the suspension (which I converted to coil instead of replacing the expensive air suspension), had to replace the radiator twice, an alternator (because the coolant from the radiator that leaked caused it to malfunction), a fuel pump replacement, countless brake pad and rotor replacements, and top it off with hard-to-find tires. This used to be a fun vehicle to drive but each time I turn the key i'm worried if i'll need AAA to tow me from the side of the road.

Favorite Features

The heated seats and exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Improve everything under the hood so that it can last longer.