Used 2003 Land Rover Range Rover Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

HSE 4.4L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (92 reviews )

So they do live up to their Reputation, atleat the 03-05
By jma3

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a beautiful bronze color HSE with 49k miles. All was fine the first year until my second and third year gremlins started taking over- Please get yourself a factory or extended warranty for as long as you own this SUV. Coolant reservoir exploded without warning and light inside cabin came on only after damage was done- coolant hoses explode. Fuel pump, alternator, battery, thermostat, dashboard readout console, navigation, overheating, heater hose, and endless electrical issues ALL went out thru my ownership including headlamps not illuminating at times. My RR left me stranded 4-5 times on the road. I would only get a preowned again with a warrantly no matter the mileage.

Exterior, interior.

Reliability!

Happy with the purchase
By TBear

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the car used with 33,000 miles on it. Paid through the nose for an extended warranty (used some of it but, in general, it was a waste). Car costs $1000 - $2000 per year to keep in good shape. The BMW 7- series engine is fantastic and drives much better than newer HSEs with the Jaguar engine. Transmission never hunts for the right gear like the Jag engine. I replaced OEM tires with much better Goodyear HPs and the difference is amazing. Much quieter and better handling. The styling is great and the annual mechanical costs are worth it.

Handling/Speed/Comfort/Looks The HSE still looks great and its eight years old!

Some plastic coverings are peeling (seat side and window console).

Get ready to know your Service Manager
By WarEagle Tiger

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I am a Lexus owner who decided to buy a the 2003 HSE and after owning it for 2+ years I would recommend staying away from this SUV if you are sensitive to dealership repair bills. The HSE is wonderfully appointed and a prize to drive, but it is very temperamental and with over 60 engine sensors- the service engine soon light goes on every three months. To add to this, the labor and parts charges are a college tuition bill. A heavy SUV that burns through brakes every 20K. Be forewarned it will cost you about $2K per year and the dealer will charge you $130 for an oil change.

Styling, Interior layout, Ride comfort, Acceleration, Off Road prowess

16 MPG, Service History, Heavy vehicle

Get your wallet ready
By READY, SET, STOPPPP!

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned this truck for 2.5 yrs and yr 1 was great, not in the shop at all. But year 2 all hell broke, air shocks 1300 each, transmission 7500, radiator overflow 200, the navigation system is almost useless. I would be willing to pay more money for this truck if it were reliable but it isnít! The dealership that I take it to keeps it for 2 to 3 months when in for service. Truck looks great and drives like a dream when working and repairs are very expensive for everything, I have seen the revues on this truck and I would bet money that every person on here that has had this truck over a year has many horror stories to tell so if you gotta have one get the warranty!

looks, ride comfort, the go anywhere capability, the respect you get from having one! and its the #1 truck in the world

The transmission should make it at least 120,000 miles without being replaced, the navigation system, the truck should simply be dependable and it isnít! The worst thing a vehicle could ever do is leave you stranded on the highway and this truck has done it to me and will do it to you

Have your money right
By Hario

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Buy this car if you absolutely have to have it! It will be costly, I replaced the trans at 63,000 miles, 8 grand, the air shocks at 70,000 mi, 3 grand. this car stays in the shop so much I might put 5 to 6000 miles on it a year you can get the parts cheap online but don't buy this vehicle without a warranty! It's not if this car will give you problems, it's when it gives you problems, and they all will be costly, nothing under $1000.

It is the best looking, best riding vehicle out there, it rides better than my conv Jag and my wife's 745li

The reliability on this car,The transmission shouldn't go bad so soon, the coolant overflow is plastic and it will leak at some point, the air shocks should last longer and be less expensive, service at the dealer could take months! Land Rover really doesn't take pride in there product!