Used 2003 Land Rover Range Rover SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Land-rover Range-rover - Consumer Reviews

2003 Land Rover Range Rover SUV

HSE 4.4L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (92 reviews )

don't purchase... read on
By jay

2003 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I've had my Range Rover for 5 years now, and have had nothing but problems for the last 2 years. It's to the point I'm just waiting to see what will break next. Air Suspension went out last month, Steering column adjustment went out last week. Various exterior pieces - left headlamp assembly, side air vent, and tag light are all falling off or the plastic holding it together has broken. Oh yea, reservoir tank cracked 3 months ago and the front end differential broke last year. My family is actually afraid to drive the thing for fear of when it will break down again ( the differential went out on vacation to TN from FL., Don't expect Range Rover to fix out of warranty - 5 yrs. for $80000

Favorite Features

the look

Suggested Improvements

quality, reliability, & manufacturers support!

Overpriced/Unreliable
By Jeffrey Thompson

2003 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

When I purchased this vehicle it had only 8k miles...I love the way the car looks but since my purchase it has been one nightmare after another..I've had to make repairs almost every month..It has many design flows. After five years of owning it I would have to say I will never buy another RR. It is over-priced and over-rated...I made my final payment on it in December..Today is January 20th, I am picking it up from the shop. The cost this time was $5500.00. I hate I bought this vehicle..

Favorite Features

Exterior Design..Sound System

Suggested Improvements

RR should make a more reliable vehicle. Stop using cheap plastic materials on the interior. Again it is overpriced and not reliable.

Fantastic Car, but have a warranty
By RC

2003 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I love the RR, will likely buy another. My advice is always have a warranty (factory) because they are expensive to fix. I've had some routine problems that were very expensive to fix on this car (two examples are the alternator and starter).

Suggested Improvements

buy the stereo for a 2005+ and you get the ipod connection by running a simple plug wire from the back under the carpet to the front seat.

2003 Range Rover
By tomh

2003 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Second owner of vehicle. Purchased at dealership. Fell in love with it from moment we drove it. Went to look at the LR3 and saw the new body style and knew of the partnering of BMW and Range Rover. It was all over after the test drive. The engine is the same as the one in the 7-series BMWs. Great pickup and when cruising feels like one is floating over the road. We purchased the extended warranty to be safe re any major repairs. Overall the mechanical issues have been minor. Had one incident with the drivetrain yet all covered under the warranty. Have had one "major" service and was pretty costly. Overall very pleased and would buy again. Definitely would encourage buy the extended warranty

Favorite Features

Exterior body style and look. Sound system. Cargo space. Excellent AC and heating throughout

Suggested Improvements

Better gasoline mileage yet what does one expect?

Overpriced Never Ending Nightmare
By cdjudd

2003 Land Rover Range Rover SUV HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I had always been a fan of Range Rovers since I was young, and who wouldn't be. I figured surely after all the rumors of the quality control issue they had surely lined that out with the new models. That is just not the case. If anything they have become worse. They run the "certified pre- owned" crap making you think they will stand behind it. That's non-sense. From the minute I drove it off the lot it was nothing but a nightmare. Electrical issues became a daily routine. Lights flickering on and off. Then transmission issues of all things. All these things in which they try to fix but when not successful they then throw it back in your face and offer no more help.

Favorite Features

Love the overall exterior and interior design. It grabs a hold of you. But if you are looking for quality this is the absolute wrong direction to go. I hope you have a spare car.

Suggested Improvements

Reliabilty and quality. Land Rover has no business ethics. It's just a game and you're the prey.