2003 Land Rover Range Rover - Consumer Reviews

HSE 4.4L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (92 reviews )
So they do live up to their Reputation, atleat the 03-05
By jma3 on 12/20/11 12:19 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a beautiful bronze color HSE with 49k miles. All was fine the first year until my second and third year gremlins started taking over- Please get yourself a factory or extended warranty for as long as you own this SUV. Coolant reservoir exploded without warning and light inside cabin came on only after damage was done- coolant hoses explode. Fuel pump, alternator, battery, thermostat, dashboard readout console, navigation, overheating, heater hose, and endless electrical issues ALL went out thru my ownership including headlamps not illuminating at times. My RR left me stranded 4-5 times on the road. I would only get a preowned again with a warrantly no matter the mileage.

Happy with the purchase
By TBear on 10/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the car used with 33,000 miles on it. Paid through the nose for an extended warranty (used some of it but, in general, it was a waste). Car costs $1000 - $2000 per year to keep in good shape. The BMW 7- series engine is fantastic and drives much better than newer HSEs with the Jaguar engine. Transmission never hunts for the right gear like the Jag engine. I replaced OEM tires with much better Goodyear HPs and the difference is amazing. Much quieter and better handling. The styling is great and the annual mechanical costs are worth it.

Get ready to know your Service Manager
By WarEagle Tiger on 09/28/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I am a Lexus owner who decided to buy a the 2003 HSE and after owning it for 2+ years I would recommend staying away from this SUV if you are sensitive to dealership repair bills. The HSE is wonderfully appointed and a prize to drive, but it is very temperamental and with over 60 engine sensors- the service engine soon light goes on every three months. To add to this, the labor and parts charges are a college tuition bill. A heavy SUV that burns through brakes every 20K. Be forewarned it will cost you about $2K per year and the dealer will charge you $130 for an oil change.

Get your wallet ready
By READY, SET, STOPPPP! on 07/24/10 15:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned this truck for 2.5 yrs and yr 1 was great, not in the shop at all. But year 2 all hell broke, air shocks 1300 each, transmission 7500, radiator overflow 200, the navigation system is almost useless. I would be willing to pay more money for this truck if it were reliable but it isn’t! The dealership that I take it to keeps it for 2 to 3 months when in for service. Truck looks great and drives like a dream when working and repairs are very expensive for everything, I have seen the revues on this truck and I would bet money that every person on here that has had this truck over a year has many horror stories to tell so if you gotta have one get the warranty!

Have your money right
By Hario on 07/10/10 08:54 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Buy this car if you absolutely have to have it! It will be costly, I replaced the trans at 63,000 miles, 8 grand, the air shocks at 70,000 mi, 3 grand. this car stays in the shop so much I might put 5 to 6000 miles on it a year you can get the parts cheap online but don't buy this vehicle without a warranty! It's not if this car will give you problems, it's when it gives you problems, and they all will be costly, nothing under $1000.

don't purchase... read on
By jay on 01/22/10 17:38 PM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I've had my Range Rover for 5 years now, and have had nothing but problems for the last 2 years. It's to the point I'm just waiting to see what will break next. Air Suspension went out last month, Steering column adjustment went out last week. Various exterior pieces - left headlamp assembly, side air vent, and tag light are all falling off or the plastic holding it together has broken. Oh yea, reservoir tank cracked 3 months ago and the front end differential broke last year. My family is actually afraid to drive the thing for fear of when it will break down again ( the differential went out on vacation to TN from FL., Don't expect Range Rover to fix out of warranty - 5 yrs. for $80000

Overpriced/Unreliable
By Jeffrey Thompson on 01/21/10 11:39 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

When I purchased this vehicle it had only 8k miles...I love the way the car looks but since my purchase it has been one nightmare after another..I've had to make repairs almost every month..It has many design flows. After five years of owning it I would have to say I will never buy another RR. It is over-priced and over-rated...I made my final payment on it in December..Today is January 20th, I am picking it up from the shop. The cost this time was $5500.00. I hate I bought this vehicle..

Fantastic Car, but have a warranty
By RC on 12/31/09 05:28 AM (PST)

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I love the RR, will likely buy another. My advice is always have a warranty (factory) because they are expensive to fix. I've had some routine problems that were very expensive to fix on this car (two examples are the alternator and starter).

2003 Range Rover
By tomh on 08/12/08 19:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Second owner of vehicle. Purchased at dealership. Fell in love with it from moment we drove it. Went to look at the LR3 and saw the new body style and knew of the partnering of BMW and Range Rover. It was all over after the test drive. The engine is the same as the one in the 7-series BMWs. Great pickup and when cruising feels like one is floating over the road. We purchased the extended warranty to be safe re any major repairs. Overall the mechanical issues have been minor. Had one incident with the drivetrain yet all covered under the warranty. Have had one "major" service and was pretty costly. Overall very pleased and would buy again. Definitely would encourage buy the extended warranty

Overpriced Never Ending Nightmare
By cdjudd on 04/25/08 08:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Land Rover Range Rover HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I had always been a fan of Range Rovers since I was young, and who wouldn't be. I figured surely after all the rumors of the quality control issue they had surely lined that out with the new models. That is just not the case. If anything they have become worse. They run the "certified pre- owned" crap making you think they will stand behind it. That's non-sense. From the minute I drove it off the lot it was nothing but a nightmare. Electrical issues became a daily routine. Lights flickering on and off. Then transmission issues of all things. All these things in which they try to fix but when not successful they then throw it back in your face and offer no more help.