Used 2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Land-rover Range-rover - Consumer Reviews

4.6 HSE 4.6L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (15 reviews )

An Expensive Ride
By INSTANT ROVER FAN

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

So far so good. I took over this Range Rover after it was garage kept and pampered at every routine dealer maintenance suggestion. I continue to do the same and have not been disappointed. It's an expensive vehicle to maintain, but it will not disappoint when its called to duty. Yes, the vehicle has some quirks, but its something I have found in each vehicle I have owned. Nothing is perfect, but this vehicle gets me and my family where we need to go regardless of the weather and most importantly it does it safely. Luxury is one thing, but safety and reliability is top priority in my book and that is why I chose the 2002 Range Rover as the chariot of choice.

Favorite Features

I love the overall look and agree that it is a timeless style. The windows are designed in a away that there are no obstacles to block your view of the road or the scenery around you. Touring in this fine vehicle is a great way to escape life's stresses. What a feeling behind the wheel!

Suggested Improvements

Yes,something should be done concerning the poor mileage. One should also consider that the weight of this vehicle is the main reason for the poor mileage. I prefer a heavy suv with poor mileage than a light suv with better mileage. You are safer in a heavier vehicle. It's the simple law of physics.

Mixed Bag
By ff120

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Range Rover with low miles on it. It is a great vehicle to drive that has many problems. The air suspension gave me fits. I had to eventually replace the entire system with regular shocks. The cooling system is always giving problems also. Funny enough I still love the car. It is great in bad snow and rain. Besides the trips to the shop for maintanence it has been reliable. The door locks and windows will act up at times along with the check engine light. By the way the SRS light is "haunted", its goes off in warm weather. The engine and trans are perfect. The body is rugged and the interior still looks new. For the money the door rubber should be better. Good car needs work

Favorite Features

The look. The performance on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Better small parts. The plastics on the armrests, and more reliable sensors. A much better air suspension system.

Expensive piece of junk!!!
By Shaniece

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

...horrible...I purchased a Range Rover from someone and in less than 24 hours, it caught on fire and burned up on the way to the guys mechanic, with my 3 year old in the car. I didn't even get a chance to insure it, because it was a weekend. I contacted Range Rover, they were like "oh well" and even took the seller to court for my down pmt back . Get this...he tried to counter sue me for pain and suffering for not receiving the remainder balance, and report my check because I stopped them. The judge did not rule in my favor, and I lost the fastest $5k ever in history...at least for me. I'm still devastated.

Stellar vehicle all the way around!
By eyefleye

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

Going on five years with my Rangey and surprisingly zero problems. I love the timeless styling and comfort. I bought 1 of 300 Westminster editions and hardly see any others on the road. I live in Atlanta and I think there's only one more here in town! Sturdy build quality, parts & paint keep her looking sweet and sexy, like the day she came off the truck. I bought it with 50k on it and now we're at 109k, nothing but routine maintenance. I bought the warranty through 100k and didn't use it once. I'm a true believer that if you take care of these Rovers, they'll last forever. My local shop says mine is one of the dryest underneath they've seen, for the mileage.

Favorite Features

Classic styling, not flashy, great reliability. Creature comforts are great, Westminster has upgraded leather that is plusher than standard HSE. At 109k there aren't even any squeaks or rattles that tend to plague Japanese and American SUVs. All electronics are well designed and conveniently usable.

Suggested Improvements

None...other than fuel economy, but if you're buying any large SUV you should know what you're in for. Comparably, the Rovers aren't any worse than most others.

I know but I still can't part with it
By Rocks5

2002 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.6L 8cyl 4A)

We are into 6 years with this car and have had issues (all handled by warranty and extended warranty) but can't part with it. It has had enough work to seem new still and rides like it. It tows like a truck and during the worst Colorado winter on recent record was the only vehicle to get out of the neighborhood(including Hummers and a Ford f250 4 wheel drive). We have an SRX Caddy awd and an Audi w Quattro. We keep the RR as a second car now, but, when it snows the Range is what my wife insists on having drives. It's quirky but gets the job done when we really need it.

Favorite Features

Gets through anything a stock vehicle can. Looks burlier not older. Security blanket when Blizzards hit here on Colorado. Rocks on the rocks without adding burley aftermarket goods.

Suggested Improvements

After 6 years it is too late now, but as the value is close to the bottom why trade when you can't replace for less than 60k. Plus, I think we have replaced enough parts to have a new RR again.